AFL Toast RND 2: 6 Point Win against The Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaharakis spent most of the day today against forward, whilst in our system winger push back hard to fill space and rebound off half back anyway.
McKenna could easily fill that role instead of Cutler.
I just don't think his performance warranted dropping when he was probably in that 8-16 middle bracket. He was fine.

I thought the skipper was good in and under. Won some important free kicks putting his head/body on the line and got his 5 clearances for the game. Stringer and Merrett equal for best on in my opinion. Langford very good again and of course Parish with 13 and a clutch goal in the 4th when the game was on the line was massive. Even though its only round 2 i think that will prove a crucial win.

Bank the 4 points in spite of the umpires, dumb football and being undersized in the middle. Heppell hopefully better for the run. Not sure Cutler is cut out for it. McGrath good but would like him to hit a few more targets. Parish epic last Q, maybe play him in the guts more. Zaka disgraceful but he’s not a small forward. Badly need Joe/Stewart/Hooker fwd/something. I expected a loss so I’m stoked tbh.

I get that, but Fantasia and McKenna are best 22 players, and someone has to make way.
I don't think Fantasia is fit, but there were plenty worse than him. Zaka, Guelfi, Snelling, Townsend all to start with.

Feel like we play quarters like a boxer who comes out all guns blazing early landing good early shots but then gets the blows and has to hang on for grim life while the other bloke gets us on the inside til the bell saves us. 4 of those each game...
Round one for sure, round two we ruled the first half then gave up two shocking goals just before the break. We controlled the scoreboard and traded shots the 2nd half - got the result!

Anyone that thinks the last 50m against Franga that gifted Papley the goal was the right decision has rocks in their head.
I was fuming when it happened, but seeing the run of crapola decisions for the duration of the game it was exactly what was to be expected from the umpires.

Carlton, Colingwood, Richmond, Hawthorne and (this one's for you two That dumb campaigner and Andronicus) West Coast all failed to win, we won, talk about a perfect weekend of football!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Fantasia is fit, but there were plenty worse than him. Zaka, Guelfi, Snelling, Townsend all to start with.
Towner is being asked to play out of position as a 2nd KPF, provided he makes a contest and pressures when it hits the ground (which he did) he keeps his spot for mine.

Guelfi is massively undervalued i think on this board. Does all the dirty stuff, works his but off defensively and is accountable to an opponent as a back flanker/pocket. Until those who are more 'talented' start doing that regularly then he plays, personally.

Snelling makes sense over Cutler though.

Towner is being asked to play out of position as a 2nd KPF, provided he makes a contest and pressures when it hits the ground (which he did) he keeps his spot for mine.

Guelfi is massively undervalued i think on this board. Does all the dirty stuff, works his but off defensively and is accountable to an opponent as a back flanker/pocket. Until those who are more 'talented' start doing that regularly then he plays, personally.

Don't get me wrong, I'd keep Townsend but if Cutler is getting dropped for playing his role well on a ground that is really tough for true wingers, there are players who performed to an inferior standard who deserve it more IMO

Guelfi brings a bit of get up and go and a bit of mongrel but when McKenna is the manifestly superior footballer and also as angry and as courageous I’m not really sure I see the point of Guelfi at this point in time.

We won at the SCG, I'll happily take the 4 points and run.

Despite some hysterics about Franga's 'frees' (some dubious) he absolutely quelled Heeney. Dois needed the run, he was way off the pace. Same could be said for a few others.

Hopefully we can build better form and more match fitness off this win.

Still have dumb players performing dumb and silly (crucial) errors....need to be more disciplined.....but came home with the 4 points ....the first in many years there....good stuff bombers...

Best:
3. Merrett
2. Saad
1. Mcgrath

Backline was great IMO, Francis wasn’t Perfect, but he played on Heeney most of the night and I thought he was kept quiet which goes a long way to us beating them.

Negative, Too many passengers, Zaka and Bellchambers played there worst games for the club. Snelling and Townsend just couldn’t get into it, however both just kept on competing.
Guelfi took a nice mark early but otherwise, may as well not have played.

Too early to say but just based on Performance,
Could see Zaka and Guelfi going out for Ham and McKenna.

Don’t see how Ambrose gets into the side? Ridley Francis Hurley and Hooker all very good.

Best:
3. Merrett
2. Saad
1. Mcgrath

Backline was great IMO, Francis wasn’t Perfect, but he played on Heeney most of the night and I thought he was kept quiet which goes a long way to us beating them.

Negative, Too many passengers, Zaka and Bellchambers played there worst games for the club. Snelling and Townsend just couldn’t get into it, however both just kept on competing.
Guelfi took a nice mark early but otherwise, may as well not have played.

Too early to say but just based on Performance,
Could see Zaka and Guelfi going out for Ham and McKenna.

Don’t see how Ambrose gets into the side? Ridley Francis Hurley and Hooker all very good.
Bellchambers was half the reason we only lost the clearances by 1 against Kennedy, Parker and Florent.

Very happy with the result.
Very good performance from Shiel and Merrett really leading our midfield and McGrath stepping up.
Parish quiet before a monster last quarter and game winning heroics. I agree he should get more midfield time but I don't think playing him up forward sometimes is the criminal sin that some on here act like it is.
Watching Bellchambers makes me sigh. There was one bit of play where he was open and our player kicked him the ball but because he had no awareness and refused to actually move forward towards the ball it got cut off by a Swans player. Typical of his level of efforts around the ground. The sooner we move him on the better. Phillips could do a better job next week. Draper will do a better job for the next 10 years when he's fit. For those who follow supercoach he registered a 47 (which is very very poor for a primary ruckman). His opponent Sinclair had 144 (very good score) off the exact same number of hitouts.
Very happy with the role Langford was playing. Primarily forward is definitely his go and he had a good impact there. Has real forward line nous, made good decisions with the ball and gave a good contest.
I was pleased with McKernan's effort. He was our only genuine tall forward and he kicked 3 goals against some quality defenders of the likes of Aliir Aliir and Rampe.
Absolutely love Ridley. His kicking is like laser beams are firing off and delivering the ball to his team. Thought he was better defensively too.
Saad very good. Defended first then won the ball and attacked. Did tend to bomb a bit too much but a very good game nonetheless.
Hooker really struggles to cover the ground nowadays. Was very good when he was in the contest though.
Francis was all over the place. Did some massive spoils and great plays. Then some horrid turnovers and very ill disciplined frees. Needs to keep his head in the game.

My thoughts on changes for next week:
Ins: BZT (Hooker forward and 2 tall targets), Fantasia or Ham, McKenna
Outs: Guelfi, Zaharakis, Snelling
Others in consideration: Gleeson and Ambrose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back