Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
images

What it means for Carlton: After another first round loss against Richmond, the pressure is already on to bounce back - and a win against the Filth would help ease early season tension and also create some momentum for an easy run in the following weeks. The difference between 0-2 and 1:1 is small in number but significant psychologically given our run of poor starts in recent seasons.

What it means for Collingwood: With a tumultuous off season now behind it the Pies will be coming off the Treloar grudge match and straight into battle with a fierce arch-rival. The Pies really need a strong start to the season on the field after a very poorly managed trade season, appalling handling of racism within the club and the resignation of its president. Backs against the wall, the Pies are going to be dangerous.

For the record
Carlton and Collingwood have played 258 times. Remarkably, the record stands at
Carlton wins: 127
Collingwood wins: 127
Draws: 4

The last time the Magpies were ahead in the head-to-head ledger was 1981. That's right, 30 years ago, before the 81 grand final. No pressure boys.

In the past decade, we've beaten the Magpies just four times, the last time being in 2017 when Marc Murphy had 30 possession (and five tackles) and Wright, Casboult and SPS each kicked two goals. Notably Weitering and C Curnow each kicked a goal and Caleb Marchbank played. Weird.

Line-ups
We'll get a significant boost in talent available for round two - and it will be interesting to see how many changes result from round one. Williams is a certainty to return from suspension while Martin, Betts and McGovern will all be in contention should their injury concerns be resolved. Under pressure for their spot include O'Brien, Gibbons, Dow and Silvagni is likely to miss with a shoulder injury. McDonald to be the sub again - or do we go with a runner instead?

The Pies could welcome back Sidebottom and will have another run under the belt for Adams who will be underdone. This will add some depth to the Pies midfield. Otherwise they are reasonably clear with injuries to key players (prior to Friday night).

Why we win
Cripps, Williams and Walsh will own the midfield as long as we break even with Grundy in the ruck contests. Our ability to win the ball inside at centre bounces and stoppages should give us majority of the pill and keep it in our forward half. The big question is can we smooth the process of delivery to our forwards and then convert even the slim chances ... I can feel Zac Fisher channelling Wayne Harmes circa the 79 grand final.

Need to make sure Moore is kept accountable as he can own the back 50 if we don't have a plan. Pressure needs to be up so that we don't let Crisp, Maynard and Noble run it out quickly.

The Pies have been playing De Goey in midfield during pre-season which I think works in our favour. Stephenson and De Goey (mostly) out of the Pies forward line makes Mr Plow's life a little less stressful. No doubt he'll find another way to earn the ire of the fans. Our backlines stacks up pretty well against the Pies (Jones v Cox; Weitering v Mihocek, Docherty/Saad v Elliott) and we should be able to run them ragged on the rebound from back there.

Our KPP look stronger but need to be wary of the annoying wingers and flankers which the Pies seem to have by the dozen. Our fringes need to step up and support those we know are going to play their part.

Carlton 9 points

:carlton: GO BLUES :carlton:

This is a very important game and anything less than a win here is unacceptable.

Martin and Williams are the obvious in and they probably would've been the difference last night.

It's hard making cuts after the first round as I normally think players deserve 3 weeks to settle at top level but we NEED Those 2 in.

Blues by 20

This one is ours.
Absolutely we will win this.
Excited to see Williams and Martin in.
Like to see Guv for Cas who looked injured.
Oscar stays in. What a find!
So excited to go to this game!

Has there been any comment on Jack's shoulder injury? Feel for him, he started so well.

Assuming he is an out, I'd add Dow for the two obvious inclusions. Ball watching is a hard habit to break.

I'd bring O Mac in and give a clearly underdone Levi a spell.

Kennedy in and LOB gets the vest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must win this one.

Out - JSOS, LOB
In- Martin, Williams

Want to find a way to add OMac in too. Thought he showed alot.
I think Omac for Cas. He may need a week, leg didn't look 100%

Levi didn’t look right. Jack could be out.

Williams definitely in. Maybe Martin or Betts, probably want to see Gov play at least one reserves game.

Has the reserves report come out yet? Interested to read how everyone went in that win.

Really looking forward to see how the midfield looks with a starting combo of Pitto-Cripps-Walsh-Williams in the square.

Out: LOB, SPS, Casboult (inj), JSOS (inj)
In: Williams, Martin, Cottrell, Stocker/Kennedy (med sub)

This is going to be a different Pies team, but they have some dangerous players who are finally fit and could do lots of damage (De-Goey and Elliot come to mind). They know how to tackle and play workman like football which is our achilles heel.

For me, Cottrell is an in, I don't want flash or fancy... but he'll work his guts out and tackle hard... I hope our recruiters top 3 priority skill in the next drafts includes 'can and not scared to tackle'.

SPS for me is tradable at this point and I'd take a low 2nd rounder for him, but we have maybe a still small window to nip his laziness and chip chip scared cr@p in the bud left and that shouldn't be in the seniors.

Dow although not brilliant against the Tigers, is salvageable and you can see he has done a body of work and is trying so needs a run at it in the ones.

I fear we'll have one of our 'cold' games where we start slow... so could go either way... but we'll probably run out of gas after taking a lead in the last.. as per norm.

Williams in, JSOS out

You back the guys you picked for round 1 who earned it on their pre season form. Don't discard them after one game, back them in for another week.

I didn't include Martin as give him another week, we saw what happened when he missed only one game with a slight calf strain.....didn't last the next game

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Changes (I think)
OUT: SoS (inj), Cas (inj), LoB or SPS.
IN: Williams, Martin, Omac

I want to see atleast the same level we saw last night. That is the new minimum.

If we want to be improvers and climb the Ladder this is a game we win.

Do I think it's a gimme against collingwood? No
Is anything less than a win acceptable? No

This match could very well end up being an integral part of where we finish on the ladder.
I'll be watching Collingwood tonight with bated breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back