Status
Not open for further replies.
We will beat this mob

Outs Cas, Jack injured, Willo

Ins Martin, Williams, Parks

OMac starter

LOB sub
Parks in for Willo?

I've been thinking similar for the other 3 (Jack/Levi/O'Brien for Williams/Martin/McDonald) but hadn't gone as far as Parks for Willo.

Maybe some pressure from Kennedy, Stocker, Betts in the reserves. Although the way we finished that game, no rotations left and everyone gassed, does make me wonder about the opportunities some of our less athletic players may be presented with. Someone like Cottrell may play more footy this year than initially expected.

What about M.Kennedy replacing JSOS (or it may be McGovern off previous M/C preferences)?

On performance and positional
Williams = LOB
Martin = Dow
Betts = Murphy
Cottrell = SPS

NB: we’re really lacking for small, running defenders with a decent kick (jury out on Williamson for that role). TF for A.Saad ‘eh.
E6BC569F-81A8-4349-B2A4-D3B0B793710D.jpeg

Parks in for Willo?

I've been thinking similar for the other 3 (Jack/Levi/O'Brien for Williams/Martin/McDonald) but hadn't gone as far as Parks for Willo.

Maybe some pressure from Kennedy, Stocker, Betts in the reserves. Although the way we finished that game, no rotations left and everyone gassed, does make me wonder about the opportunities some of our less athletic players may be presented with. Someone like Cottrell may play more footy this year than initially expected.

Willo seems to be labouring, heavy legs maybe. Parks would be that 3rd tall interceptor, which would allow Doc to be a pure stopper until he regains confidence

I get that this is a really long post and you clearly put a bit of thought into it but unless:

A. you're expecting that named back 6 to stay on the field all game (100% TOG), or;​
B. you're planning for two of Newnes/Williams/Setters to have an equal split between mid/wing and down back, or:​
C. one of Fogarty, Dow, Curnow or Betts are somehow in your plans as the defensive rotation​
...Then you're going to need to have a defender on the bench.

Well option B makes the most sense right now. Williams has experience there (yes, the aim is to have him predominantly play midfield) and the coaches were experimenting with Setters down back in the practice games.

It's another one of those risks worth taking right now. Flexibility is key here. See how versatile a couple of our players are.

Well option B makes the most sense right now. Williams has experience there (yes, the aim is to have him predominantly play midfield) and the coaches were experimenting with Setters down back in the practice games.

It's another one of those risks worth taking right now. Flexibility is key here. See how versatile a couple of our players are.
Personally I’d prefer a designated defender on the pine and Williams to resume the mid/fwd role he played in the preseason.

I’d also like to get Setters back on the inside and if Ed’s playing I want him tagging the bajeezus out some poor bastard, not just playing as sort of floating inside/outside mid like last night. He can start on the wing but needs to wear someone like a glove.

I don’t mind Arr0w’s suggestion of Parks coming in, if his reserves form is as good as the reports suggest.

Apparently there was a 2's praccy match played at Punt Rd v Tigers yesterday but fans locked out because you know COVID knows the difference between Punt Rd and the G.
Would be good to know who played, who didn't and who went okay from those who did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently there was a 2's praccy match played at Punt Rd v Tigers yesterday but fans locked out because you know COVID knows the difference between Punt Rd and the G.
Would be good to know who played, who didn't and who went okay from those who did.

Match Report

BESTS
Williams, Cottrell, Kennedy, Stocker, Betts, Wooller, Delaney, Stoddart

OUT: Gibbons/Silvagni, O'Brien
IN: Betts/Cuningham, Williams

Before people go spare at me about Gibbons, it's a question of team balance versus more damaging forward and more midfield production. I'm not interested in a forward who almost entirely lives and dies by his uncontested possessions, only to not really offer damaging passes. When you've got key position players doing a better job at ground ball contests than you, something's very wrong.

May not even happen if Jack is injured, and if so, I hope we're bold enough not to just plug in another general forward and instead play someone that's in form.

Things that absolutely must change:

- SPS as the 7th defender/defensive wing
- Docherty to play deeper than SPS and Williamson by default
- Setterfield to play mostly as a stoppage midfielder

We have absolutely ruined O'Brien, who looks like he can't run out games now. Wins aerial contests, but his top speed has suffered immensely. Hopefully just a niggle that they can get him to rest and recover from for a game.

Sadly, I also think Saad and SPS will be under injury clouds.

While last night's loss was disappointing, there are a number of players looking to get a run that will improve the side. Williams, Martin, Stocker, Cottrell, Kennedy, Betts, Cuningham, MM and O Mac (to the 22) are all more than useful potential inclusions (the D word comes to mind). Question is how many changes are we willing to accept, forced or otherwise.

Last edited:
OUT: Gibbons/Silvagni, O'Brien
IN: Betts/Cuningham, Williams

Before people go spare at me about Gibbons, it's a question of team balance versus more damaging forward and more midfield production. I'm not interested in a forward who almost entirely lives and dies by his uncontested possessions, only to not really offer damaging passes. When you've got key position players doing a better job at ground ball contests than you, something's very wrong.

May not even happen if Jack is injured, and if so, I hope we're bold enough not to just plug in another general forward and instead play someone that's in form.

Things that absolutely must change:

- SPS as the 7th defender/defensive wing
- Docherty to play deeper than SPS and Williamson by default
- Setterfield to play mostly as a stoppage midfielder

We have absolutely ruined O'Brien, who looks like he can't run out games now. Wins aerial contests, but his top speed has suffered immensely. Hopefully just a niggle that they can get him to rest and recover from for a game.

Sadly, I also think Saad and SPS will be under injury clouds.

Gibbons? Bizarre. Get over yourself Jim, your "blunted weapon" remark is the funniest thing I have read in some time

Keep holding that candle for him being dropped

For future reference mate, good source of info on the day until they post the match review report a day or so later.

BESTS
Carlton: Williams, Cottrell, Kennedy, Stocker, Betts, Wooller, Delaney, Stoddart

Cunningham, Betts, Williams, Kennedy, Stocker, Durdin, Cottrell all played from 1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back