Preview RND 2 - Carlton v Gold Coast - 1:45PM Saturday 31st March @ Etihad - Team - post #871

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the game where the Blues will gain a heap of confidence with a convincing 7 goal win imo .Just what we need at this stage of our rebuilding.we're on track.

Will be interesting to see how GC go against North but we really should win.

In Melbourne, GC with prob an even younger/less experienced team than us and 2nd game under a new coach.

EDIT: And if it helps we have an extra 2 days break.

True but ATM with everyone being fit I would have Pickett, Lang, Williamson, Doc and DC (just) playing ahead of him. That is a long list and would make him about the 27th in line.
In saying that I doubt that will be the case for long because he should go past some players and I think he will be best 22 again soon but ATM he just hasn't earned it and is not in our best side imo

Again, all this off of one game? Where many others were also down?

Perhaps we give it another game or 2 before determining if changes need to be made

Are youth a protected species at Carlton and not up for critique ? We have competition for spots at long last and an unbalanced overly tall side .

Have you thought that with competition for spots people are analyzing a players performance also with a view to team selection ? I think this gets confused for outright criticism a lot .

No-one should a protected species, but all this on the back of one game for the season?

What happens if Fish puts in a bad 1 or 2 games in the next couple, do we send him back as well?

People need to be patient

Last edited:

slots a cool goal - made it look easy - you've got someone aiming to ram you into the fence at 100 miles an hour and 90,000 others looking over your shoulder - was never going to miss - credit
Lovely shot for goal that guy.

Jack is a similar size, probably a bit taller with a less developed body. Might be a bit 'slow', but has excellent footy smarts, is a lovely field kick and has bled navy blue since he was a little kid. His output compared to his draft peers is actually pretty darn good.

Anyone else remember the bevy of opposition supporters flocking to our board this time last year complimenting him?

Let's give him a bit of time before writing him off.

Again, all this off of one game? Where many others were also down?

Perhaps we give it another game or 2 before determining if changes need to be made
More off the second half of last season but mostly it's just personal preference to play another runner over him because I don't see him as offering a good target inside 50 yet. It just helps with flexibility and if we need we have 4 tall defenders so Weitering could swing forward if we find ourselves in trouble. If he was earning his spot it would be different but I don't think he has

No-one should a protected species, but all this on the back of one game for the season?

What happens if Fish puts in a bad 1 or 2 games in the nest couple, do we send him back as well?

I agree patience is needed but it is an opinion based forum and id think it isnt 1 game that some opinions are based but possibly a flow on from what was seen last year .

What happens if Fish puts in a bad 1 or 2 games in the nest couple, do we send him back as well?

Hell yeah ... back to the nest!

I was disappointed with Weits was he injured?

Surprised me that he put in a shocker actually.

Garlett seemed injured as well?

Dow just seemed to be a bit taken aback by the pace of the AFL and the huge crowd the kid will be good did some nice things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was disappointed with Weits was he injured?

Surprised me that he put in a shocker actually.

Garlett seemed injured as well?

Dow just seemed to be a bit taken aback by the pace of the AFL and the huge crowd the kid will be good did some nice things.
that high ball that came in where martin owned him like a pre-schooler was nothing short of embarrassing and he knows it

Dow will stay. SPS also didn't get a lot of touches in his first few games but stayed in the team because he is class and tried hard...just like Dow.

Cunners has done the hard yards in the VFL? He has played 1 game.

Welcome to our newest fan.

Guys been working hard in the VFL for a few seasons now if you hadn't noticed.

Welcome to our newest fan.

Guys been working hard in the VFL for a few seasons now if you hadn't noticed.

Lol drop the attitude.

Cunners has been mainly in the VFL with some AFL games...didn't have a great JLT then missed the cut for round 1.
Obviously coaching staff think he has some things to work on.

some players just perform better in the real stuff - even jlt wasn't the real stuff - shane warne would go wicketless for victoria then clean-out england with one hand behind his back - harry may have this quality

I wish I had that quality, yeah it’s only the rezzies, yawn, gimme a call when, yawn, the real stuff happens... oh what, we played Richmond in front of 90,000 and my invite got lost in the mail.
Life’s not fair man...
FYI Warne first class bowling 26.11 - tests 25.41. And he typically played only for Victoria coming back from injury etc. you earn that right once you’ve made it - not on the way up I think.

We all want him to get excited by him but when the current drafttees outplay him in a reserves practice match - what do you say, oh, you get to choose when you try because you’ve got massive potential?

Did it ever occur to people that McKay is trying his best and that this is it?
Played better late last year. Probably just needs to pace himself better through heavy passages of play so he can progressively build his fitness, rather than crapping out and having to recover all the time.

Lots of work to be done with the coaching staff as to where to play him at VFL level, and how they want him to play in terms of picking his moments. His mobility is a blessing and a curse.

Out: Lamb, SOS
In: Lang, Cuningham

Probably ease Williamson in and see how Mullett performs with more midfield pressure.

Would be happy with that as Cuningham could do at least s much as Lamb, but have that extra speed to worry the the opposition.
No shame should Silvagni be given a 'rest' allowing, a quicker and more mobile forward line.

Can't help injuries, but hard to forget about Docherty not being available and then the injury-cherry on top, with Pickett out for half the year.
Pickett would be worrying plenty and be a terrific player to have deep in our forward line...anyway...

Played better late last year. Probably just needs to pace himself better through heavy passages of play so he can progressively build his fitness, rather than crapping out and having to recover all the time.

Lots of work to be done with the coaching staff as to where to play him at VFL level, and how they want him to play in terms of picking his moments. His mobility is a blessing and a curse.
Not really a fan of him playing in the ruck because of previous injuries but right now i think thats his best position in the reserves to build confidence and fitness . Only trouble is Phillips Lobbe and Dekoning .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back