Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 3 years of his career before being let go by St.Kilda is a fair sample size though.
Again, if he’s performing like Curnow or Jones, there’s no argument ... but he isn’t and hasn’t been for quite some time.
Let’s hope he finds a new lease of life but at 27, not many improve.
We’ve invested plenty in our rated youth and they need the opportunity to improve and repay.
I thought newnes was very good in the first half of the year last year for saints. I remember him being a a very good winger for a while before that so i'm confident he has it in him. But I agree he did drop away horribly towards the end of last year.

Pretty sure there's gonna be 6 on the bench this year now. So everyone will get a better go of it now. If Newnes can add something, that will be great. But the narrative that he "deserves" a game but a Cuningham or LOB or Willo or Dow don't bewilders me.
Willo is an interesting one. I think we're one 'creative' defender too many with everyone healthy - Simo, Doc, SPS, Newman.

I think one of SPS, Doc or Willo will need to make the jump to midfield to fit them all in the side, and willo could be pretty dangerous winger. I doubt he's got the aerobic base to play there this year though given his injury history.

Cuningham is forward IMO so he's not interchangeable with newnes.

Yep another team i can’t cop, the list is very long...

You need to be more tolerant, FBB.

The only ones I REALLY hate are *, Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Geelong, Melbourne, North, Sydney, Port, Brisbane, Fremantle, West Coast, WBD, GWS and GC....

Edit: Damn you, Heres Waite!

Last edited:
This is the point.
If Newnes was delivering like a Curnow or a Jones he’d be worth his place in the team.
But he hasn’t been for quite some time and in no way deserves a game over our highly rated and improving youth that are our future.

I feel about Newnes the way I did about Kerridge, but there is one important difference - Our squad needs to be developed and we all had an idea that Newnes would likely take the place of maybe an O'Brien, Williamson, or possibly even Fisher or Dow.

When you sign someone for three years, you don't sign them on to play reserves football.
I didn't mind taking on Newnes but did have these reservations in place. We'll just have to see how it plays out, but we can hardly blame Newnes for being selected.

Damn.....I thought it was next week we see he teams. Another fortnight to wait. Came here too early :)

Again, what you expect from these guys is not necessarily the same as what the club expects.

Did you see Newnes shirk any contests? I'm prepared to stand corrected, but I didn't.

I saw a player who despite a pretty ordinary overall game provided plenty of run and carry. Which is exactly what he's there to do out on a wing.

We're not really comparing the two are we?

Newnes has been a regular at AFL level for over a decade. Never a star but generally a good, solid contributor for a decent side. Seemingly a well liked and respected leader, and had a contract offer to remain at the Saints.

Fasolo was at the other end of the spectrum. He was on the footy scrap heap. A well liked character but someone who wasn't consistent, wasn't a leader, but was capable of the brilliant. Had well documented issues also.

They're not even remotely similar.

That's great, so Newnes' addition throws down a real challenge to these players.

Let's hope they rise to that challenge.
And what you expect is not necessarily the same as what the club expects.

"Did you see Newnes shirk any contests? I'm prepared to stand corrected, but I didn't." That's the bar? I don't recall ever seeing Willo shirk a contest eiterh. I expect my senior leaders to actually win these contests and lay some tackles.

So you are suggesting Fasolo was recruited to play VFL?

I’m normally quite conservative in my thoughts about selection, but after 23 tackles in round 1, I’d be seriously tempted to throw Philp in as it seems he shows tackling intent, and maybe it might be infectious?
Really impressed with his vigour and attack at Princes Park practice match. I would play him ahead of Newnes or even Seterfield who has been terrible to date.

This is a danger game
Yeah two teams that are difficult to get a consistent read on. Both have upside but also more than occasionally show their downside. If we play like we did in quarters 2-4 of round 1, I think we can break them. They strike me as a fragile side that will take a backward step if we start well. We need to be strong with our pressure and convert on the scoreboard when we have momentum. On the other hand, if we start like we did round 1, they will jump us and they’re good as front runners (when the going isn’t tough). A massive game given we’re already 0-1 and heading to Geelong for round 3. I’m hopeful we come out firing - we’ve had nearly 3 months to stew over the round 1 start.

Hurry up game time, the arguing over Newnes is boring. Can argue all you want, they will select him if they deem him best 22. Then you can judge him by his performance when he plays. Wasnt the best, wasnt the worst in round 1 and round 1 has ZERO bearing on who gets picked for round 2.

Yeah two teams that are difficult to get a consistent read on. Both have upside but also more than occasionally show their downside. If we play like we did in quarters 2-4 of round 1, I think we can break them. They strike me as a fragile side that will take a backward step if we start well. We need to be strong with our pressure and convert on the scoreboard when we have momentum. On the other hand, if we start like we did round 1, they will jump us and they’re good as front runners (when the going isn’t tough). A massive game given we’re already 0-1 and heading to Geelong for round 3. I’m hopeful we come out firing - we’ve had nearly 3 months to stew over the round 1 start.

Agree, both teams have shown they are mentally weak at times, and with such an extreme circumstance we find ourselves in, it wouldnt surprise if one or both of these clubs struggle to cope with the circumstances. Even more so, player to player, some players will cope as normal and others will struggle (some will be so far off it, it wont be funny).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what you expect is not necessarily the same as what the club expects.

I accept that and have never suggested otherwise.

I'll go out on a limb though and suggest leadership, experience, good disposal and powerful running is exactly what they expect from Newnes.

We haven't recruited him for his weaknesses.

"Did you see Newnes shirk any contests? I'm prepared to stand corrected, but I didn't." That's the bar? I don't recall ever seeing Willo shirk a contest eiterh. I expect my senior leaders to actually win these contests and lay some tackles.

Not the bar, but thought it may be a consideration given you have highlighted a number of times Newnes didn't "crack in".

So you are suggesting Fasolo was recruited to play VFL?

I'm suggesting Newnes is a far more bankable addition to the squad than Fasolo was, for a whole host of reasons that I've already mentioned.

I accept that and have never suggested otherwise.

I'll go out on a limb though and suggest leadership, experience, good disposal and powerful running is exactly what they expect from Newnes.

We haven't recruited him for his weaknesses.

Not the bar, but thought it may be a consideration given you have highlighted a number of times Newnes didn't "crack in".

I'm suggesting Newnes is a far more bankable addition to the squad than Fasolo was, for a whole host of reasons that I've already mentioned.
Neither have I, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest laying more than 1 tackle and winning more than 2 contested possessions would also be on that list of expectation.

"We haven't recruited him for his weaknesses." We didn't recruit Fasolo for his weaknesses either.

The point is no one is recruited to play VFL or for their weaknesses but that doesn't mean they are given a free pass to play at AFL. Newnes whatever his history has been extremely underwhelming in the pre-season and first round, with plenty of others ready to take his spot he needs to improve fast or make way.

Martin McKay Cuningham
Betts Casboult McGovern with Silvagni off the bench.

Get the ball inside 50 enough times and we should have no trouble kicking a winning score. Excited.

Really is an exciting mix, Cuningham and Martin both do a good job takcling and adding pressure, those 2 plus Betts have a knack of turning a few possessions into a significant impact, McKay, McGovern and Casboult are all great contested marks and should minimise the oppositions ability for intercept marks and then you have JSOS, smart hard working team player who could be a great mid size forward who create a difficult match up.

My read on our list is that players (like) Dow/Setterfield/Kennedy/Fisher/LoB all have to lift to genuine 4Q AFL standards sooner rather than later - and for these blokes who were high draft picks they should be showing 4Q ability to impact on the game.

SPS has demonstrated AFL ability for 4Q playing HBF and doing it very well. Weitering and Walsh are proven genuine AFL players, in my books anyway.

Charlie/Harry/Cuningham/Williamson in my books are all genuine AFL quality players - but they all have one unfortunate thing in common.

Newnes is the least of our problems - I'd rather him with ball in hand kicking into forward 50 than either of Setterfield or Dow - and Dow at this stage is the biggest concern amongst the lot - he was awful against tuggers, anyone can tackle a bloke like Dow with his burst leg speed should be able to bring anyone down just by running with them- and yet he is the softest tackler on our list.

All that said - we have a sample space of one game in 2020 to refer to - hardly proof of anything.

With our current midfield - there are no 'easy' games I dont understand where people get their confidence from tbh.

I want to see Stocker/Kemp/Philps etc pushing for inclusion - Dow/Fisher/LoB and Setterfield have a fair bit to prove.

Martin McKay Cuningham
Betts Casboult McGovern with Silvagni off the bench.

Get the ball inside 50 enough times and we should have no trouble kicking a winning score. Excited.
Really is an exciting mix, Cuningham and Martin both do a good job takcling and adding pressure, those 2 plus Betts have a knack of turning a few possessions into a significant impact, McKay, McGovern and Casboult are all great contested marks and should minimise the oppositions ability for intercept marks and then you have JSOS, smart hard working team player who could be a great mid size forward who create a difficult match up.

Yeah its a balanced forwardline. we got it in quite a lot against richmon, we missed that extra forward after cas went in the ruck. Also having cuningham play deep because no betts wasnt the best.
Now with Mckay back as another key tall and betts in the pocket allows cuningham to get up the ground a little and make more of an impact.

Im really bullish on this forwardline.

My read on our list is that players (like) Dow/Setterfield/Kennedy/Fisher/LoB all have to lift to genuine 4Q AFL standards sooner rather than later - and for these blokes who were high draft picks they should be showing 4Q ability to impact on the game.

SPS has demonstrated AFL ability for 4Q playing HBF and doing it very well. Weitering and Walsh are proven genuine AFL players, in my books anyway.

Charlie/Harry/Cuningham/Williamson in my books are all genuine AFL quality players - but they all have one unfortunate thing in common.

Newnes is the least of our problems - I'd rather him with ball in hand kicking into forward 50 than either of Setterfield or Dow - and Dow at this stage is the biggest concern amongst the lot - he was awful against tuggers, anyone can tackle a bloke like Dow with his burst leg speed should be able to bring anyone down just by running with them- and yet he is the softest tackler on our list.

All that said - we have a sample space of one game in 2020 to refer to - hardly proof of anything.

With our current midfield - there are no 'easy' games I dont understand where people get their confidence from tbh.

I want to see Stocker/Kemp/Philps etc pushing for inclusion - Dow/Fisher/LoB and Setterfield have a fair bit to prove.

Melbournes forward line V our backline is the biggest source of confidence for mine followed by the fact I think ou foward line will present too many challenges for their defence.

Melbournes forward line V our backline is the biggest source of confidence for mine followed by the fact I think ou foward line will present too many challenges for their defence.
Tom McDonald seems to turn into a competent footballer when ever he plays against us, rather than a less talented version ofJosh Jenkin that he is against everyone else

Agreed. If Pittonet can stop Gawn from having a BOG performance and we match them in the clearances, we should* be more than right in the mix.

The biggest concern for me is our mentality from the first bounce. Now more than ever, we can't afford to start slowly with poor intensity and composure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back