Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up you have to watch the Andrew Russell Fox Sports interview on the Carlton site 20 min of pure gold from the great man and really pumps up the training efforts of the boys, some great insights into some players as well.

PS Can’t wait for Russell vs Burgess when we play the dees, Russell will have us primed to shut them down.

Liked his comments re the difference between our forward line now and two years ago. Said some encouraging things about Cunningham amongst others.

Plow on Petracca is a pretty good matchup. The one that worries me is Fritch, I’m not sure who matches up well on him. He could be a handful. Weitering to McDonald for me
is a no brainer. We really shouldn’t have huge issues in the backline.
Their backline is also pretty strong and match up on us pretty well. We may be able to stretch them for height with McKay and Cas strong in the air.
Their midfield just looks too deep. They have a really hard edge and now good run (although still poorly skilled) on the outside. Cripps and Curnow are going to have to play huge minutes and the shorter quarters might help us with that.
It should be a close game.
I think JSOS to Petracca is a perfect matchup and Plowman to Fritsch is a match he should at least 50/50. Curnow to oliver who hates the tag (but it could equally be viney off round 1 stats - hurts my SC though).

I expect it to be an ugly game with both teams struggling in the skill department. They have a fair few players with poor disposal kicking inside their forward fifty. Which team scores the most from turnovers will decide the game in my opinion. We should start as favourites. Feeling confident. They have a small forward line with T Mac their only tall with the exception of Weiderman who still looks very raw. Hope we dont make the mistake of pairing Liam with T Mac. Weitering for me is the obvious choice.

They have two very dangerous mid sized forwards in the Petracca and Fritsch. If our defence can nullify those two I cant see them scoring heavily. Hope we dont go into the game with a tall defence. Plowman Docherty or even Jack are the obvious choices to share the taging duties. If Weiderman doesnt play I dont see a starting role for Liam in defence. Actually dont mind seeing Liam ruck. Likes to throw his weight around and is competitive at ground level.

Melbourne's backline is rather tall with O Mac May and Lever holding down three spots. Would love to create a mismatch and only play the two tall leading forwards in Harry and McGovern and add pace to our forward structure. Murphy as a permanent forward pocket and Cuners at half forward along with Martin and Betts would be ideal. If we can move the ball quickly into our forward fifty, lower our eyes and kick short to our forward leads we should come away with the 4 points

Dirk
Thankyou for that
On Murphy tho
He gets rested forward anyway perhaps permanently if he has long term issues
However I think you will see him in the mids engine room with Ed Walsh n Crippa.....because we can challenge them there
I think Dees missed Lewis going.and he did fade badly in his final yr....
As you said if they cannot. Kick goals.....its a matter of time 👌

is plowman most likely to play on petracca? Petracca 96 kg v plow 86kg. may be too strong?

Plowman isn't 86kg. Listed at 90, but was more like 95 last year.

Andrew Russell interview was good and interesting he first pointed to Liddle and Lloyd at driving standards and motivation.

Just a heads up you have to watch the Andrew Russell Fox Sports interview on the Carlton site 20 min of pure gold from the great man and really pumps up the training efforts of the boys, some great insights into some players as well.

PS Can’t wait for Russell vs Burgess when we play the dees, Russell will have us primed to shut them down.
That is great stuff.
You get the impression he genuinely thinks we are better than last year in all the ways he can measure (and significantly better than 2 years ago). Given we went 6 and 5 from the halfway point, there is a lot to look forward to.
He mentions a fit McKay, a much improved Cuningham, as well as the addition of Martin and Betts, as reasons why the forward line is better than the one that got us that 6 and 5 result.
If you're not excited after watching that, you're not alive.

Plowman isn't 86kg. Listed at 90, but was more like 95 last year.

Andrew Russell interview was good and interesting he first pointed to Liddle and Lloyd at driving standards and motivation.
Ok, ~90 kg going by club site and bluesuem data. I got 86kg off wiki. I dont recall him looking much more than that though...not 95kg. Petrac is ~96kg and looks every bit of it...and that may be due to him being much shorter (186cm) compared to plow (193cm). Anyway hopefully plow will sort him out.

AR just started from the top and worked his way down as he should. Pretty common in interviews when praising a club. I can see the passion in liddle but not lloyd.

Ok, ~90 kg going by club site and bluesuem data. I got 86kg off wiki. I dont recall him looking much more than that though...not 95kg. Petrac is ~96kg and looks every bit of it...and that may be due to him being much shorter (186cm) compared to plow (193cm). Anyway hopefully plow will sort him out.

AR just started from the top and worked his way down as he should. Pretty common in interviews when praising a club. I can see the passion in liddle but not lloyd.

Weights aside, it's possible that Plowman may not see much of Petracca, if indeed Petracca is to be employed through the midfield again.
With Melbournes' Jones back that may not come about, in which case yes - Plowman very likely to again get the hardest job going.

Re. Russell - The question posed to him though, didn't necessitate bringing the CEO into the discussion, unless the was a genuine reason to do so.
I didn't see it as a club-promoting manoeuvre at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weights aside, it's possible that Plowman may not see much of Petracca, if indeed Petracca is to be employed through the midfield again.
With Melbournes' Jones back that may not come about, in which case yes - Plowman very likely to again get the hardest job going.

Re. Russell - The question posed to him though, didn't necessitate bringing the CEO into the discussion, unless the was a genuine reason to do so.
I didn't see it as a club-promoting manoeuvre at all.
not sure. he was asked how the club handled the covid19 break and in particular the condition of the players. Yes, he answered it a bit more broadly and hence mentioned the CEO and worked his way down from there. Maybe liddle is a key driver for setting high standards. If so that is great.

not sure. he was asked how the club handled the covid19 break and in particular the condition of the players. Yes, he answered it a bit more broadly and hence mentioned the CEO and worked his way down from there. Maybe liddle is a key driver for setting high standards. If so that is great.

The executive have to be charged to create the culture and to be responsible to retain standards.
Allowing Bolton to take on this responsibility as a first-time coach was irresponsible by the club.

That wasn't the question Russell replied to though - Robinson at the 14.50 mark posed the question about in regards to professionalism and motivation.
It had nothing to do with covid, directly. Answer would have ben the same either way.

No big deal, but it was quite telling to me and I got quite a bit out of that reply.

EDIT: Really was a big pat on the back for Cuningham. Funny how Russells voice lifts when mention a couple of names - Cuningham included.

B: Plowman Jones Newman
HB: Simpson Weitering Docherty
C: Newnes Curnow Walsh
HF: Martin Casboult Cuningham
F: Betts McKay McGovern
R: Pittonet Cripps Murphy
I: SPS Silvagni ? ?

Assuming Fisher isn't ready, this is the clear first 20 we'll go with IMO. 2 spots left between Setterfield, Dow, Gibbons, Williamson, and O'Brien.

O'Brien and Gibbons is my preference, unless they are confident Willo can play higher up the ground for majority of the game.

Seeing those Samo highlights has me wanting him dividing his time down back and on-ball. He is just so skilful and creative. Has such a natural feel for the game and uses the ball so well.

He's a mid and one we're going to want playing midfield soon enough.

We're all slotting him into the HB line for now, but I feel that will change as he's too much of a creative force through the midfield and going forward.

He's a mid and one we're going to want playing midfield soon enough.

We're all slotting him into the HB line for now, but I feel that will change as he's too much of a creative force through the midfield and going forward.

Having surety in exiting defence is something we haven’t had for a long time and very important.
SPS can instigate attack from defence with his vision and skill.
Time will obviously tell in the makeup of our midfield but hopefully we will have the tools going forward.
Cripps Walsh Dow Stocker Kemp Philp Setterfield O’Brien Ramsay Fisher Gibbons, there is plenty of talent there and more will be added.
SPS may take his turn in the midfield or return there full time, who knows.
What he offers from defence though is invaluable and can be the springboard of attack.

Having surety in exiting defence is something we haven’t had for a long time and very important.
SPS can instigate attack from defence with his vision and skill.
Time will obviously tell in the makeup of our midfield but hopefully we will have the tools going forward.
Cripps Walsh Dow Stocker Kemp Philp Setterfield O’Brien Ramsay Fisher Gibbons, there is plenty of talent there and more will be added.
SPS may take his turn in the midfield or return there full time, who knows.
What he offers from defence though is invaluable and can be the springboard of attack.
SPS is looking pivotal in producing attack from the back half. The recent highlights package had him biting off targets through the middle as opposed to the tedious percentage game around the boundary we have been subjected to for the last few years. I fully agree with those singing his praises as a midfielder, but with our current list, I think he is in for considerable time as a playmaking defender.

No desire to kill Bambi, but the sooner we have SPS, Doc and Willo giving variety and precision out of the back half, the better. Simmo is from an era where players have been asked to defend by percentages. I find myself screaming at the TV regularly with his dinky little 20 metre passes from the goal square then giving the opposition scope to shut down all attacking options far too often. Often forces a sideways or backward kick to find the next target. I want Doc, Willo and Newman taking the exit kicks and mixing it up, placing the opposition in two minds more often than not. With Harry, Levi, Gov and our ruckmen working up to provide targets, along with the prospect of Setters, Martin and JSOS acquiring mismatched opponents aerially, we should have a myriad of options moving the ball up the ground. (even before Charlie and Marchy returning to increase the threat).

We don't have that ultra dashing rebounder type, but with precision disposal can get plenty of run with our mix of players. Our defence is "stacked" with nine AFL quality players vying for seven spots at the moment (Willo and Marchy added to round one mix). Love the thought of targeting Zac Williams through free agency with more dash and great skills, but who would we leave out?

SPS could go to the midfield, possibly Doc could revisit the notion of midfield time and Williamson could likely play on a wing, but our defence would be more dynamic with them back there. PS I am probably doing Newman a disservice by not mentioning him more prominently here.

SPS is looking pivotal in producing attack from the back half. The recent highlights package had him biting off targets through the middle as opposed to the tedious percentage game around the boundary we have been subjected to for the last few years. I fully agree with those singing his praises as a midfielder, but with our current list, I think he is in for considerable time as a playmaking defender.

No desire to kill Bambi, but the sooner we have SPS, Doc and Willo giving variety and precision out of the back half, the better. Simmo is from an era where players have been asked to defend by percentages. I find myself screaming at the TV regularly with his dinky little 20 metre passes from the goal square then giving the opposition scope to shut down all attacking options far too often. Often forces a sideways or backward kick to find the next target. I want Doc, Willo and Newman taking the exit kicks and mixing it up, placing the opposition in two minds more often than not. With Harry, Levi, Gov and our ruckmen working up to provide targets, along with the prospect of Setters, Martin and JSOS acquiring mismatched opponents aerially, we should have a myriad of options moving the ball up the ground. (even before Charlie and Marchy returning to increase the threat).

We don't have that ultra dashing rebounder type, but with precision disposal can get plenty of run with our mix of players. Our defence is "stacked" with nine AFL quality players vying for seven spots at the moment (Willo and Marchy added to round one mix). Love the thought of targeting Zac Williams through free agency with more dash and great skills, but who would we leave out?

SPS could go to the midfield, possibly Doc could revisit the notion of midfield time and Williamson could likely play on a wing, but our defence would be more dynamic with them back there. PS I am probably doing Newman a disservice by not mentioning him more prominently here.
Funnily enough it was one of these last year that cost us the game against Melbourne (not from the kickout).
He's been a legend, but if he starts to get squeezed out because the others improve to at least his equal, then we are going places.

I think it's a blind flutter to call this game

I think Dees have had issues thru midfield and not flowing...
I would like to think we can outzone and outrun them...will need to be at AFL efficiency to do thus

50\50 game and I thing the current situation suites' us better
Carlton will win

2021 looking even better with Kempo and C.Cunow back

It is 50/50 but an indictment on the playing group, if after 5 years rebuilding, we can not win games like this

That is great stuff.
You get the impression he genuinely thinks we are better than last year in all the ways he can measure (and significantly better than 2 years ago). Given we went 6 and 5 from the halfway point, there is a lot to look forward to.
He mentions a fit McKay, a much improved Cuningham, as well as the addition of Martin and Betts, as reasons why the forward line is better than the one that got us that 6 and 5 result.
If you're not excited after watching that, you're not alive.

Russell's interview reveals we are miles ahead physically but are we miles ahead mentally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back