Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newnes' goal was from about 45 on a 50 degree angle and with a bloke coming up on him... hardly a bloody tap in from the square. You applaud those goals from wherever they are scored, let alone when it took us to within 3 goals of the premiers... and should have been closer after that given Dow was it who missed a goal to take us under 10 points?

The tigers put on a couple of cheap ones in the last two mintes (ruining one of my lines, bastards) but if we had of taken our chances after the Newnes goal we may hve pushed them to the end and not given up those cheapies.
I think it was jones that had a shot after a 50m penalty that got him to 35 out right in front and missed. Don’t put it all on Dow. This would have got us to 9 points down.

I’ve been a big critic of our tacking from since I’ve been on this site, ‘without opening up my can of worms again’ it’s a part of our game that frustrates the absolute crap out of me... It’s been a whole club/list/coaching problem for far way too long, how you tackle is all about technique and secondly the players intent, for me if you don’t have a strong fierce approach a willingness for the contest to hunt your opponent, going half heartedly doesn’t do you or your team much good at all...
We are a poor tackling team, most players of all ages on our list need too individually and collectively raise the bar, for me it’s a big part what makes the top sides so good...

I’ve been a big critic of our tacking from since I’ve been on this site, ‘without opening up my can of worms again’ it’s a part of our game that frustrates the absolute crap out of me... It’s been a whole club/list/coaching problem for far way too long, how you tackle is all about technique and secondly the players intent, for me if you don’t have a strong fierce approach a willingness for the contest to hunt your opponent, going half heartedly doesn’t do you or your team much good at all...
We are a poor tackling team, most players of all ages on our list need too individually and collectively raise the bar, for me it’s a big part what makes the top sides so good...
Spot on. Tackling is half mental - you actually have to want to do it - and we’ve had too many over the journey that don’t seem to want to do it to the level required. Personally I’d be prioritising the guys that want to tackle and pressure. The more of these guys we can get in the side, the more they will drag along some of the less willing tacklers. I think our pressure improved in the back half of last year but I’d hate to see any gains made in that period thrown away this year. Fortunately I reckon we’ve drafted a few kids in the last two years that, based off limited exposure and reputation, are keen to pressure and tackle - Philp, Stocker and Kemp. Would love to see the former two get an opportunity this year at some point.

Agree. There are teams that tackle to hurt or injure. We aren't one. Too nice. Would love a Jack Steele type or even that bloke who went to * (Bloody mind has gone blank on that one).

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you have a telstra account, member benefits can include Kayo sports for 1 month or 3 months free, activate by 30 June

check it out

sis and I are going halvies as in two users on 1 account

Last edited:
do you know if there are going to be free to air games as well?
same as usual I believe, a Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday game FTA, check afl website

Spot on. Tackling is half mental - you actually have to want to do it - and we’ve had too many over the journey that don’t seem to want to do it to the level required. Personally I’d be prioritising the guys that want to tackle and pressure. The more of these guys we can get in the side, the more they will drag along some of the less willing tacklers. I think our pressure improved in the back half of last year but I’d hate to see any gains made in that period thrown away this year. Fortunately I reckon we’ve drafted a few kids in the last two years that, based off limited exposure and reputation, are keen to pressure and tackle - Philp, Stocker and Kemp. Would love to see the former two get an opportunity this year at some point.

I’m normally quite conservative in my thoughts about selection, but after 23 tackles in round 1, I’d be seriously tempted to throw Philp in as it seems he shows tackling intent, and maybe it might be infectious?

All between the ears along with the want, some players are naturally good at it and all some need is to be trained the correct technique..

If Newnes is a deck chair he’s an upgrade on some of the foot soldiers we’ve had cycled through the squad in that age bracket; O’Shea, Shaw, Smedts etc.

He is a handy player, decent footy IQ and neat skills. I also thought his pre-season was underwhelming but his effort in Round 1 was good.

I don’t like his inclusion long-term, but until younger players are pushing him or he is displaced by his own poor form he is an obvious best 22 selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the thinking but I do wanna see him play at least another 2 games before deciding on whether or not he should be selected over our younger guys. I’m not putting too much weight on the preseason games so r1 was his first real outing for me. Let’s see how he goes next match.

Yes we can’t over react . Let’s see who wants it and has that peripheral thinking. It’s a team game . A band.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes we can’t over react . Let’s see who wants it and has that peripheral thinking. It’s a team game . A band.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yep...team game which needs cohesion..just like a band playing good music..both are forms of art...our team is at the stage where they need to start producing great music... when it clicks it is so nice to watch.

If Newnes is a deck chair he’s an upgrade on some of the foot soldiers we’ve had cycled through the squad in that age bracket; O’Shea, Shaw, Smedts etc.

He is a handy player, decent footy IQ and neat skills. I also thought his pre-season was underwhelming but his effort in Round 1 was good.

I don’t like his inclusion long-term, but until younger players are pushing him or he is displaced by his own poor form he is an obvious best 22 selection.

A deckchair is a deckchair is a deckchair.
Newnes is a 27yo DFA from St.Kilda.
I don’t know what anyone was expecting.
He delivers nothing more than any of our promising youth who are the future and need the game time and development.
I see no upside or benefit in playing him.

"That's a 'no' from me, Margaret".

david_stratton.png

A deckchair is a deckchair is a deckchair.
Newnes is a 27yo DFA from St.Kilda.
I don’t know what anyone was expecting.
He delivers nothing more than any of our promising youth who are the future and need the game time and development.
I see no upside or benefit in playing him.

This deck chair/promising youth dichotomy needs to be abolished ASAP.

How many games have Cuningham or LOB or Dow been completely off pace and largely undeserving of their spot in the team? I’d say plenty.

These aren’t guys who have been starved of opportunity; they are youngish players who have had a good taste of AFL and need to be raising their personal standard in line with our improvement as a team.

Until they start performing at a level consistent with their experience we shouldn’t be guaranteeing them games.

This deck chair/promising youth dichotomy needs to be abolished ASAP.

How many games have Cuningham or LOB or Dow been completely off pace and largely undeserving of their spot in the team? I’d say plenty.

These aren’t guys who have been starved of opportunity; they are youngish players who have had a good taste of AFL and need to be raising their personal standard in line with our improvement as a team.

Until they start performing at a level consistent with their experience we shouldn’t be guaranteeing them games.

Dow and O’Brien are all of 20yo ?
They are highly rated and need the game time and development as they improve.
Newnes at 27yo offers no more than these guys and won’t improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back