G: Silvagni, Setterfield, Casboult 3, Kennedy 2, O’Brien, Fisher, Dow 1
B: Silvagni, Walsh, Murphy, E Curnow, Newman, Setterfield

Match Report
https://www.afl.com.au/news/91581/match-report-carlton-v-melbourne

Head to Head
Carlton 118
Melbourne 95

Football….FOOTY……it’s back!

If this game were being played at the MCG I would be leaning towards the Demons having the upper hand…but being at Marvel, I believe this brings it back to a more even opportunity for both teams. Unfortunately the home crowd factor is irrelevant, the might baggers will be there in spirit though no doubt.

Since we last played Daisy has departed and we won’t have Kreuzer I believe (correct me if I’m wrong). Hoping that Martin, McKay, Betts, Cuningham, Newnes bring in the right mix to move the ball forward - and quick! Plus our captains Cripps and Docherty will be back in…and I think we all know what a difference these two can make. At the expense of only really Lang and Thomas (obviously) and Kreuzer (possibly)…an interesting conundrum for our selectors. I find it difficult to pick a best 22 bit as I think Dow, O’Brien, Gibbons, Fisher, Cuningham and Newnes (maybe throw in Stocker) are fighting for the same 3-4 spots and I’m delighted to see this depth growing. If Kreuzer is out than Pittonet in…and I think he can go toe to toe alright with Gawn ruck wise…Casboult and McKay will need to step up in support around the ground.
My intel on Melbourne is crap…I don’t care much for them. So its difficult for me to suggest anything in regards to their players. We were scorched by McDonald and Hunt last outing, if we can tame them and don’t allow anyone else off the leash (looking at Petracca in particular) than we can do this.
They’ve added Tomlinson and Langdon and I’m not overly concerned although I do think they will be handy for them.
If we come out clean (skills wise) we win. Too many times we were in games last year but our skill level killed us…bit of a no brainer, efficiency will bring results.
I just had a look at last years ladder…how did they end up below us!?
I’m even more confident now.
Melbourne’s avg losing margin in 2019 - 28 points.
SPS, Martin, Cripps, Walsh, McKay and Eddie to run a muck!
Weitering, Docherty, Jones, Plowman and Newman to form a brick wall.

Blues by 15 points.

Last edited:
Good to have the football back.....I think.
It is what it is though and for most, something is better than nothing. That's good enough.

Teams? Who knows, but given the lack of training, it may well be something similar to what it was some weeks ago, taking out Kreuzer allowing Pittonet in and Betts for Fisher?

Cuningham and Williamson good chances. Who knows?

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Isn't it glorious that the footy is back. Bring on the Mighty Blues at near full-strnegth (minus Kreuze and Charlie)

FB: Plowman Weitering Docherty
HB: SPS Jones Newman
C: Newnes Cripps Murphy
R: Pittonet Walsh Curnow
HF: Fisher McKay Martin
FF: Betts McGovern Casboult

Int: Simpson, Silvagni, Setterfield, Gibbons

Out: Kreuzer, Dow, Cuningham
IN: Betts, McKay, Pittonet

Emg: O'Brien, Cuningham, Dow

Very tough call on who to play out of O'Brien, Newnes, Cuningham.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the biggest consideration here is what do we do with our Ruck's.

In reality I don't think Pittonet can keep up with Gawn around the ground (based on limited footage and subject to how they come back from the shutdown) and TDK would be able to keep up with him but is nowhere near strong enough.

Melbourne are known for winning contested ball and struggling with speed and spread.

It would be a big risk but I would consider having Levi as the solo ruckman (assuming big Harry is right to play) and bring in more speed around the ball.

I don't think we can contest with Gawn around the ground or in the ruck so it might be worth tackling it another way. :D

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I'd take the gamble with Pittonet, more experience and has the body to wear Gawn down physically and soften him up for Levi. Big ask for TDK to go up against one of the best ruck man with his experience but you know he would have a crack.
Question marks over Fisher, Marchbank and Newman with the elbow. If anyone is in doubt they do not play especially if the list is fairly healthy

Bluebag13

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the biggest consideration here is what do we do with our Ruck's.

In reality I don't think Pittonet can keep up with Gawn around the ground (based on limited footage and subject to how they come back from the shutdown) and TDK would be able to keep up with him but is nowhere near strong enough.

Melbourne are known for winning contested ball and struggling with speed and spread.

It would be a big risk but I would consider having Levi as the solo ruckman (assuming big Harry is right to play) and bring in more speed around the ball.

I don't think we can contest with Gawn around the ground or in the ruck so it might be worth tackling it another way. :D

Play both?

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Isn't it glorious that the footy is back. Bring on the Mighty Blues at near full-strnegth (minus Kreuze and Charlie)

FB: Plowman Weitering Docherty
HB: SPS Jones Newman
C: Newnes Cripps Murphy
R: Pittonet Walsh Curnow
HF: Fisher McKay Martin
FF: Betts McGovern Casboult

Int: Simpson, Silvagni, Setterfield, Gibbons

Out: Kreuzer, Dow, Cuningham
IN: Betts, McKay, Pittonet

Emg: O'Brien, Cuningham, Dow

Very tough call on who to play out of O'Brien, Newnes, Cuningham.
Cuningham is not going anywhere after kicking 2 in round 1. Gibbons or Setterfield much more likely to go out.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Getting one of the biggest "who knows" teams in the biggest "who knows" round really makes it hard to know what is going to happen.

This really is a must win game though and I am pretty confident we should have the edge in all area's of the field. Can't wait to see Betts, Martin, Cuningham, SOS, McKay and McGovern creating havoc up forward.

If we are have serious we should win 3 out of the next 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back