Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We might be in our 5th year but Melbourne are in there 7th year of rebuild so you could make a better case for them being the ones that should win this.
I see your argument there and the rationale behind it. However, I will counter with this:
I am a Bluebagger, therefore Carlton should win.
QED

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For me it’s a crucial role that we must fix that we are very poor at... We can and should be much better than we are atm kicking out and defensive exiting...
The thing about SPS is that he can weigh his passes perfectly. Too many of our passes end up giving our opponents the opportunity to spoil. Willo kicks them low and hard making it hard for opponents to spoil. Simmo has neither of these attributes and is slow in kicking the ball back into play taking away opportunities from team mates free on their own. There needs to be a changing of the guard.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing about SPS is that he can weigh his passes perfectly. Too many of our passes end up giving our opponents the opportunity to spoil. Willo kicks them low and hard making it hard for opponents to spoil. Simmo has neither of these attributes and is slow in kicking the ball back into play taking away opportunities from team mates free on their own. There needs to be a changing of the guard.
Summed it up perfectly, just opens the ground up much more allowing more areas of opportunity...

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
We can't afford these slow starts; we are not good enough to give teams 4-5 goal head starts. Teague better have worked hard to have the boys ready to go from the first bounce.

PRESSURE: Surely every one of the 22 players has it drilled in to them to apply pressure at all times. How long has it been since we've seen pressure all over the ground? It should be a non-negotiable...you don't pressure/tackle you don't play. It has to become a big part of our game (as with all the top teams).

PHYSICALITY: We finally have a few big boys in the team now; it's time to change our thinking. We have been way too timid (& vanilla) for way too long. Bee-line the ball and take out whoever is in your way. Make a statement. It's time to get on the front foot instead of waiting for Viney or May (previously Hogan and Lewis) to iron out/hit one of our players and go in to our shell.

These players can and should play tough, uncompromising footy:

BACKS Weiters, Newman, Doc & Jones
MIDS Pittonet, Cripps, Ed
FWDS Cas, McGovern & Jack M

It all starts with Pittonet crashing in to Gawn at the first bounce...

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We can't afford these slow starts; we are not good enough to give teams 4-5 goal head starts. Teague better have worked hard to have the boys ready to go from the first bounce.

PRESSURE: Surely every one of the 22 players has it drilled in to them to apply pressure at all times. How long has it been since we've seen pressure all over the ground? It should be a non-negotiable...you don't pressure/tackle you don't play. It has to become a big part of our game (as with all the top teams).

PHYSICALITY: We finally have a few big boys in the team now; it's time to change our thinking. We have been way too timid (& vanilla) for way too long. Bee-line the ball and take out whoever is in your way. Make a statement. It's time to get on the front foot instead of waiting for Viney or May (previously Hogan and Lewis) to iron out/hit one of our players and go in to our shell.

Well, you fired me up coach! Haha. Reminded me of a quarter-time huddle speech 🙂

BlueBlood15

Team Captain
May 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Agreed. For mine, the poor starts are largely attritubable to our mindset from the opening bounce. Maybe it’s time to change something in the pre-game routine to address this. Perhaps some more physical contact in the warm up or more of a motivational speech than a systems and structure focused speech? I am just hypothesising here. I don’t really care what they change as long as they come out strongly from the get go.

On a related note, I’d be interested to know how coaches now go about revving up the players. I suspect the pre game speech is a lot more about systems and roles than it is about crashing in at a million miles per hour. Maybe I’m a bit old school but I’d revisit the start to the Richmond game and stress how that cannot be our standard anymore. I might even be tempted to mention that we haven’t won either of our first two games in a season since 2012.

Time to take a stand. I’ll back Teague and our guys in always but the time is now to strike. Melbourne are there to be beaten. Hit them hard and they’ll go into their shells. Will be interesting to see our intensity from the first bounce. I’m very excited

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing original but it’s strangely difficult to get excited about a game against the dees. Don’t care who plays, just chalk up a win and move on.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Are we still revving the boys up pre-game with 'The Eye of the Tiger' or something?
It's trying something different. We started poorly in just about every game last year, and round 1 this year, and have struggled to be 'in' games after quarter time.

We have also looked so vanilla for the majority of the last 20 years; very little passion, very little intent, very little physicality. All the best teams have these attributes.

Change is good when you haven't had success for decades..

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
It's trying something different. We started poorly in just about every game last year, and round 1 this year, and have struggled to be 'in' games after quarter time.

We have also looked so vanilla for the majority of the last 20 years; very little passion, very little intent, very little physicality. All the best teams have these attributes.

It really is baffling to me that professional teams just don’t “show up to play.” I’ve never been anywhere near a professional level of sport, but I’d think that all the training/prep/energy in the lead up to the game would naturally lead to a buy in from the whole team. Even if 10% of the team was not feeling it that day, that’s only 2-3 players out of 22. You’d think that the collective enthusiasm from the other 90% would bring the others along.
Maybe the old school rev up from the coach still has a place in the pregame. Get the guys ready to run through a brick wall, rather than a composed and measured approach.
Either way, the method we’ve been using the past season or so is not producing the results. If we could somehow get that sorted we’d be a real chance at Finals. Until then we are going to lose so many winnable games.

Drexl 31

All Australian
Sep 13, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
AFL Club
Carlton

Pittonet has a bit of mongrel in him.

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
It really is baffling to me that professional teams just don’t “show up to play.” I’ve never been anywhere near a professional level of sport, but I’d think that all the training/prep/energy in the lead up to the game would naturally lead to a buy in from the whole team. Even if 10% of the team was not feeling it that day, that’s only 2-3 players out of 22. You’d think that the collective enthusiasm from the other 90% would bring the others along.
Maybe the old school rev up from the coach still has a place in the pregame. Get the guys ready to run through a brick wall, rather than a composed and measured approach.
Either way, the method we’ve been using the past season or so is not producing the results. If we could somehow get that sorted we’d be a real chance at Finals. Until then we are going to lose so many winnable games.
I am definitely a glass half full supporter and i am feeling very excited for the resumption of the season. However realistically i cannot see us playing finals due to our lack of midfield options. To make finals you probably need 8 to 10 mids who can hold their own against most opponents. We have Cripps, Murph, Walsh, Ed, SPS and Cunners. Then its Setters, Gibbo, Fish and Dow.
The really good teams will find us out, like the Tiges did in the first quarter. They were never going to lose after that. Still think we can win 50 % of our matches, just through an improved and a more dynamic forward set-up. Our defence is very strong as well. Just need for Crippa to have a Brownlow season and Walsh to keep improving and for Pittinet to make his mark and away we go.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I am definitely a glass half full supporter and i am feeling very excited for the resumption of the season. However realistically i cannot see us playing finals due to our lack of midfield options. To make finals you probably need 8 to 10 mids who can hold their own against most opponents. We have Cripps, Murph, Walsh, Ed, SPS and Cunners. Then its Setters, Gibbo, Fish and Dow.
The really good teams will find us out, like the Tiges did in the first quarter. They were never going to lose after that. Still think we can win 50 % of our matches, just through an improved and a more dynamic forward set-up. Our defence is very strong as well. Just need for Crippa to have a Brownlow season and Walsh to keep improving and for Pittinet to make his mark and away we go.
I don't disagree with you, but gee Richmond were on that game. They just came out so pumped up ready to play. Hopefully not too many games with teams that come out like that!
Our mids are not as bad as people think, just need to play together more and learn to use each other's strengths better.

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton

Vanilla gets a bad wrap...… pour a bit of chocolate sauce on it and presto …..Jack Martin ;) :thumbsu: :D
Our most exciting mature age recruit since Judd and nothing vanilla about his debut.

So excited about him building on that. Throw Eddie in the mix and we have a much more potent look about us. (banana and crushed nuts on top of the sauce!)

Also think Mr. Moustache , McGov will show all this year he is ready to step up and become a top liner. (Should be 100% now and raring to go)
For the first time in years our forward line looks dangerous even without Charlie.
When he comes back next season he will be the FLAKE chocolate bar in the middle of the cone :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back