PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
Ins and outs will be interesting. No point swinging the axe yet but a few should be on notice (Dow, Setterfield, Cuningham and Gibbons primarily).

Out - Kreuzer (inj), Newman (inj?)
In - Pittonet, Williamson

Maybe drop one of the above mentioned and bring in TDK for additional height in the forwards.

Need to start a lot better, start hitting targets, play with more composure and STOP BOMBING IT INTO THE FORWARD 50! Lower the eyes and spot up targets!

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Will need to be harder for longer to have any chance here maybe grab a tape of our women's side efforts this coming Sunday .
And all of their season to get an idea of what is needed to win footy games .

Hard tough footy for 4 quarters is non negotiable tackle numbers in the 20's is not acceptable and rarely going to win you games .

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Minimal changes - if they were deemed good enough to play round 1, then give them another crack round 2 (after a heavy bake - if they are still allowed?). I dont want players playing scared - I want them to earn their spot but dont go back into their shells knowing if they have one bad game they get dropped.

Outs: Kruez, Newman
Ins: Pittonet, Williamson

I wanted williamson before Newman round 1 and sore elbow gets my wish.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
My question is. What midfielders would be next in line for selection?. LOB, (more of a wingman), Philp, (hasn't played a game), Stocker (where is he?), Kennedy (please no). Guys like Setters, Dow and Gibbons keep being gifted games because we just have no midfield depth.
Gibbons and Dow played forward, not mid. The 3 of them were poor, but they weren’t gifted a game.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
What are people’s thoughts on bringing stocker in?

Surely the shorter quarters will be helpful.
I am all for improving our overall skills, running power, physicality and tackling so anyone that has these traits.

Players who lack in these areas need to find some improvement quickly or watch from the stands.

Not many have all 4 of these traits but would be happy to include players who can cover of 2 or 3 of these areas.

At the moment we have players who only have 1 of these traits and maybe even some with zero....

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Really don't want to make any wholesale changes after this week.

But three...three changes feels right.

Kreuzer out, unfortunately. That's a forced change.
Newman out, probably. But maybe not, depends whether that dislocation or whatever it was is something that will hamper him.
Then one of Setters, Gibbons, Dow - not all three, because that's too reactionary, but one of them pays the price for poor effort.

Think Pittonet comes in for Kreuzer. English is a talented young lad, and a game against a raw beanpole like TDK gives him an opportunity to shine. Put him up against a battering ram instead.

Willo should get the nod for Newman if he misses. Another player whose instinct is to drive the play forward, and he has a healthy dose of mongrel which was lacking last night.

For the last spot, I'm torn between wanting to strengthen the mid rotations with someone like LOB, reward a young kid like Philp for a strong preseason, or add some extra height to the forward line with TDK.

Whichever of Setters, Gibbons and Dow hold their spot, also need to be given a rocket. If you're not being rotated on-ball as a frontliner, you need to be working your arse off to provide an offensive option, and apply top notch defensive pressure. Being a "second string" mid isn't an excuse to just meander around the field hoping the ball comes your way.

Really don't want to make any wholesale changes after this week.

But three...three changes feels right.

Kreuzer out, unfortunately. That's a forced change.
Newman out, probably. But maybe not, depends whether that dislocation or whatever it was is something that will hamper him.
Then one of Setters, Gibbons, Dow - not all three, because that's too reactionary, but one of them pays the price for poor effort.

Think Pittonet comes in for Kreuzer. English is a talented young lad, and a game against a raw beanpole like TDK gives him an opportunity to shine. Put him up against a battering ram instead.

Willo should get the nod for Newman if he misses. Another player whose instinct is to drive the play forward, and he has a healthy dose of mongrel which was lacking last night.

For the last spot, I'm torn between wanting to strengthen the mid rotations with someone like LOB, reward a young kid like Philp for a strong preseason, or add some extra height to the forward line with TDK.

Whichever of Setters, Gibbons and Dow hold their spot, also need to be given a rocket. If you're not being rotated on-ball as a frontliner, you need to be working your arse off to provide an offensive option, and apply top notch defensive pressure. Being a "second string" mid isn't an excuse to just meander around the field hoping the ball comes your way.

Short and sweet..well said.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
In: Williamson, Pittonet and/or TDK
Out: Newman, Kreuzer (Gibbons)

Pretty close to how I'd go, but as much as I don't have Newman in my best 22, it is not right omitting him but not omitting Setterfield or Gibbons. At least Newman tried to tackle, even with a bung elbow. So if he is healthy enough to go around again, he should. Dow I have cooled on slightly, given that he did show some intent during the match and at least got into some scoring positions.

Setterfield's and Gibbons' performances inexcusable.

In: Williamson, Pittonet +/- TDK
Out: Setterfield, Kreuzer +/- Gibbons

SPS to the midfield, Walsh to the midfield (why the * was he playing HFF a lot?). Fisher and Murphy to the wings. Williamson to SPS's role yesterday.

SPS to the midfield, Walsh to the midfield (why the fu** was he playing HFF a lot?). Fisher and Murphy to the wings. Williamson to SPS's role yesterday.

I'd go along with that. Play players where they perform best, isn't a bad start point right now.

Surely Williamson comes in whether it in the backline or a wing and after that?
Pittonet or TDK? I reckon we'll go Pittonet and given his pre-season performance, that would be understandable, even if we'd prefer it to be DeKoning.

Reckon one of Dow or Setterfield will be 'rested' and maybe more likely Dow, although I'd be fine should both remain.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
This week wouldn't mind seeing Setters in the guts and Willo on the wing.

TDK up forward with Pitto and Levi rotating fwd/ruck.

Am genuinely torn on playing both TDK and Pitt but reckon it can work. Both can play ruck and leave Levi forward, this will also give Gov a better
go at it.

Agree Setters should not be playing wing and if Newman is too sore then no issue with Willo.

Other than that I see no need for wholesale changes.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty close to how I'd go, but as much as I don't have Newman in my best 22, it is not right omitting him but not omitting Setterfield or Gibbons. At least Newman tried to tackle, even with a bung elbow. So if he is healthy enough to go around again, he should. Dow I have cooled on slightly, given that he did show some intent during the match and at least got into some scoring positions.

Setterfield's and Gibbons' performances inexcusable.

In: Williamson, Pittonet +/- TDK
Out: Setterfield, Kreuzer +/- Gibbons

SPS to the midfield, Walsh to the midfield (why the fu** was he playing HFF a lot?). Fisher and Murphy to the wings. Williamson to SPS's role yesterday.

I'm not shifting Samo out of the backline, where he trained all pre-season, after one very good game.

Absolutely Setters and Gibbo were very poor. There's a balance between rewarding a pre-season, playing who we think are our best available team, and dropping players after a very poor performance.

That's why Newman is out for me, he was poor and he's not in our best team, and we have a good replacement ready to go. That's probably less apparent with Setters (O'Brien) and Gibbo (Philp? or a structural change, TDK).

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
I badly want Stocker in the team but I fear he is currently in the "not doing enough preparation-wise so is being made an example of" category.

It's a tough one as the club needs to enforce certain standards, but I feel the senior team is better for his inclusion (imo we took a similar stance with McKay until we were forced to play him and he ultimately made the coaches look silly for ever leaving him out).

Especially with the shorter quarters I think Stocker should be in.

It won't happen but I would like to see:

In: Stocker, Williamson, Pittonet, De Koning
Out: Simpson, Newman, Kreuzer, Dow

Get Setterfield and Gibbons around the ball more to help offset the swap of a small for a tall.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
He was very poor, but he offered more than Gibbo.

I think Gibbo, Setters and Dow are all in a grouping there.

Dow, at least, got the ball in some dangerous spots - but was unable to convert.

I'd be satisfied if any one of them was omitted next week, but am hesitant to single one out without knowing what expectations were placed on them as far as their role. Given they weren't used on-ball, the coaches must have had something else in mind. I doubt any of them executed it well given their overall impact, but maybe I'm not seeing something (ie. there were a few notable Tigers players who were somewhat quiet, perhaps someone was playing a negating role on Edwards or similar and actually did it well).

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I badly want Stocker in the team but I fear he is currently in the "not doing enough preparation-wise so is being made an example of" category.
I would hate to think thats why but wouldnt surprise. Dont pick a bloke who has great skills, tough as nails etc because not preparing right but pick someone like Dow who doesnt want to work hard, soft and s**t skills, but you know, prepares well, listens in class.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd like to go with this team:

Plow Jones Simmo
Doc Weiters Newman
Newnes Cripps SPS
Jack M Levi Fish
Cunners Mitch TDK

Pitt Walsh Setters

Murph Ed Jack S Gibbo

Out: Kreuze Dow

Happy for Willo to come in if Newman is too sore. While objectively I wouldn't have an issue with Dow playing (I'm sure he would like the opportunity to
show better form than last night) I think the taller forward line and TDK seducing me with his athleticism would trouble the dogs.

Back