Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs - SEASON POSTPONED

Remove this Banner Ad

Score involvements, goal assists, tackles.

We’re working off a very low base here, but Dow was better. We’ve previously discussed the merit of efficiency as a stat, and for 2 players both playing forward, both with only 7 disposals, I’m going to take score involvements as much more important than DE.
Agree. Dow had 2 shots on goal. Yes he stuffed them up. But he managed to get into a position to take those shots in the first place. Gibbons...just an unmemorable game all around. Lots of footage of him trailing behind his opponent and just not doing much at all even though disposal numbers were the same as Dow.

What qualities does he possess that make you think he’s cut out for a spot in the midfield?

I’m thinking his height is probably the main issue as to why he doesn’t get a crack in the guts.Hes got a solid build,has speed and moves well.Whilst not flashy could definetly hold his own.Hes got a tank so there shouldn’t be any issue there and can kick a goal.Would offer more than say a Dow at this stage whose kicking skills are horrendous for a footballer in the system now for 3 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pittonet or TDK can see arguments for both and won't be fussed whoever replaces kreuzer.

Dow absolutely needs to be dropped. Simply isn't ready for first time football yet.

Happy to bring in wiliamson to replace him if that means SPS goes into the middle. But if we want to maintain the same structure then dow needs to be replaced by Kennedy. If we're gonna play someone forward then they should know how to play forward. Doing dow's development no favours parking him there
Where would you rather develop him?

I’m thinking his height is probably the main issue as to why he doesn’t get a crack in the guts.Hes got a solid build,has speed and moves well.Whilst not flashy could definetly hold his own.Hes got a tank so there shouldn’t be any issue there and can kick a goal.Would offer more than say a Dow at this stage whose kicking skills are horrendous for a footballer in the system now for 3 years.

Speed? No. If he had elite pace, that would be a weapon, and I would have a different opinion.
It's not just height, it's weight as well (as listed Dow has 8kg on him).

If we're comparing the Dow and Gibbons, then Dow has the burst, more upside, and is 4 years younger. But I think neither would be in our team if Charlie, Harry and Eddie were fit. And on Thursday night's showing, Gibbons offered less

McGlynn, aside from being 3 years out of the game, was quicker. Pace was highlight of his game. A better kick too.

Not understanding where you are going with this Sramos

You asked for a comparison and I gave you one, then all you want to do is refute it, yet offer no alternative

We all get it, you and a few others don't rate Gibbons, clearly Teague and others here do rate hin

There is absolutely no chance Dow gets dropped. Just because he has a few deficiencies club ain’t going to drop him. He is still young and in his development phase and has stacks of potential. Kicking is his main issue right now. Fix his kicking and he would have scored 2 goals and we would not be debating this right now.

Not understanding where you are going with this Sramos

You asked for a comparison and I gave you one, then all you want to do is refute it, yet offer no alternative

We all get it, you and a few others don't rate Gibbons, clearly Teague and others here do rate hin

I asked for a comparison of a player with similar size, pace and skill (and I meant current).
McGlynn didn't have similar pace to Gibbons. He was a better kick too.

Where would you rather develop him?
Happy to develop him in the team as a midfielder. He doesn't know what he's doing as a forward, so he's having minimal impact which is hurting his already shaky confidence.

There's no way he's best 22 as a forward and the best 22 should be the best 22 players. We're past the stage of gifting games to kids because of their high draft pick number.

Happy to develop him in the team as a midfielder. He doesn't know what he's doing as a forward, so he's having minimal impact which is hurting his already shaky confidence.

There's no way he's best 22 as a forward and the best 22 should be the best 22 players. We're past the stage of gifting games to kids because of their high draft pick number.
Firstly, there’s a difference between best 22, and best 22 available. And as poor as he was on Thursday, he wasn’t even our worst forward.

Firstly, there’s a difference between best 22, and best 22 available. And as poor as he was on Thursday, he wasn’t even our worst forward.
I'm assuming you're talking about gibbons. No gibbons wasn't great either, but I have confidence that he'll at least convert goal scoring chances when they come his way. He's also got a better tank and better footy smarts than dow.

Obviously dow has upside and the fact that there's no VFL makes dropping him sort of pointless as this experience is better than the nothing he would otherwise get if dropped. But i think we'd be a better side with kennedy as forward now (particularly now we're missing so many goal kickers)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have a comparison? Still not seeing the point
No, I don’t have a comparison, which is exactly the point. I don’t think there is an AFL level midfielder of Gibbons’ size, who doesn’t have elite pace or disposal. Which is why I don’t think he is an AFL level mid, even though he is a great mid at VFL level.

If he’s going to play AFL, it will be as a half forward.

Genuinely excited to see this kid play, just let him of the leash and let's see the running and tackling machine he is.
couldn't agree more - but I will - I agree so more...........

No, I don’t have a comparison, which is exactly the point. I don’t think there is an AFL level midfielder of Gibbons’ size, who doesn’t have elite pace or disposal. Which is why I don’t think he is an AFL level mid, even though he is a great mid at VFL level.

If he’s going to play AFL, it will be as a half forward.

Did I not say HHF/Mid?

But I see now what angle you are going with here. This is guys at the same height, +/- an inch. Some would be considered better players, some not. Some are mids, some flankers

5 ft 10 in
Jed Anderson, Luke Dahlhaus, Taylor Duryea, Jade Gresham, Liam Henry, Bradley Hill, Ned McHenry, Matthew Owies, Izak Rankine, Daniel Rioli, Liam Ryan, Sydney Stack, Sam Switkowski, Ben Ainsworth, Toby Bedford, Trent Bianco, Callum L. Brown, Ned Cahill, Josh Daicos, Jamie Elliott, Orazio Fantasia, Martin Frederick, Jarrod Harbrow, Jarman Impey, Kane Lambert, Andrew McGrath, Gryan Miers, Touk Miller, Tom Papley, Matthew Rowell, Adam Saad, Lachlan Schultz, Caleb Serong, Jayden Short, Josh Thomas, Jack Viney, Michael Walters, Robbie Young, Jake Aarts, Zac Fisher, Riley Garcia, Jack Higgins, Tom Hutchesson, Rory Laird, Zac Langdon, Jay Lockhart, Lachie Neale, Cameron Polson, Jake Tarca, Cody Weightman

5 ft 9 in
Allen Christensen, Mitch Crowden, Sam Gray, Lachlan Johnson, Jack Mahony, Lincoln McCarthy, Dylan Moore, Irving Mosquito, Lachlan Murphy, Shai Bolton, Travis Colyer, Michael Gibbons, Stefan Giro, Bobby Hill, Ian Hill, Jack Lonie, Brandon Matera, Dion Prestia, Willie Rioli, Malcolm Rosas, Will Snelling, Lewis Taylor, Dayne Zorko, Eddie Betts, Kade Chandler, Darcy MacPherson, Devon Smith, Boyd Woodcock

5 ft 8 in
Liam Baker, Ben Cavarra, Paul Puopolo, Charlie Spargo, Tyson Stengle

There is absolutely no chance Dow gets dropped. Just because he has a few deficiencies club ain’t going to drop him. He is still young and in his development phase and has stacks of potential. Kicking is his main issue right now. Fix his kicking and he would have scored 2 goals and we would not be debating this right now.

I'd still be debating why his defensive efforts are appalling...he also shirked a few times Thursday night... worrying signs

Did I not say HHF/Mid?

But I see now what angle you are going with here. This is guys at the same height, +/- an inch. Some would be considered better players, some not. Some are mids, some flankers
I was questioning the ‘mid’ part. And it’s not just height, it’s size.

So of all the names you listed, who is a successful mid, who is has similar (or worse) pace and disposal? Or even a hff?

Genuinely excited to see this kid play, just let him of the leash and let's see the running and tackling machine he is.

We're always excited to see them play, until we seem them play. :)

I'll be all the more excited when players Dow, Setterfield and O'Brien settle down and show why we got them to the club.
Walsh is the exception for us, but just want to see our midfielders flourish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back