Game Day RND 2 V Fremantle

1st ever Women’s Derby for points this weekend.

Very much hoping for a bumper crowd that could knock off the Freo v Pies record. Fremantle have built a strong list, wit some exciting new talent coming through. Roxy Roux is a champ in the making and will no doubt want to put on a god show.

There will be a few nerves flowing through our group girls, with many of them playing with Freo in the seasons prior.

Teams have been released:

Great to see Grace Kelly in - but surprised to see Devlyn keep her spot over McGuire

Kate Orme was quite good in the Jan Cooper Cup, so hopefully she can continue that form into the derby.

Gutted for Ashton Hill.

WEST COAST

B:
C.Perera 27 T.Radan 26
HB: B.Smith 14 S.McDonald 35 M.Dowrick 5
C: M.Collier 8 I.Cameron 19 N.Kelly 12
HF: A.Atkins 9 K.Gibson 2 M.Bowen 1
F: G.Kelly 15 D.Pisconeri 11
Foll: P.Laurie 25 D.Hooker 17 E.Swanson - C 13
I/C: T.Tester 23 C.Guard 4 H.Bullas 24 B.Devlyn 7 K.Orme 32
Emerg: E.Bonser 6 C.Davidson 33

In: K.Orme
Out: A.Hill (knee)

FREMANTLE

B:
J.Cuthbertson 29 L.Pugh 32
HB: A.Stannett 24 E.Gooch 8 L.Mascall 14
C: L.Rohde 11 H.Miller 19 J.Stewart 7
HF: E.Antonio 12 R.Roux 17 S.Duffy 6
F: G.O'Sullivan 22 G.Houghton 27
Foll: M.Strom 21 K.Bowers 2 K.Antonio - C 15
I/C: K.Flood 44 B.Webb 26 P.Seth 18 K.Grieve 13 A.Sharp 1
Emerg: E.O'Driscoll 3 M.Clifford 4

In: L.Mascall, B.Webb
Out: S.Cain (knee), M.Clifford

If you can, get to the game and support women’s footy - remember it’s not this generation that will benefit most. It’s the youngsters watching that will.

Go you Eagles

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
If you can, get to the game and support women’s footy - remember it’s not this generation that will benefit most. It’s the youngsters watching that will.
Good call, I'm filthy I came down to Perf last weekend instead of this weekend.

Dockers are a good side* so could be tough but hopefully we see a lot from the girls. Fourth game as a group, should hopefully see a fair bit of improvement week to week at this stage.

Would amuse me greatly if there was a Dana Hooker led boilover.

*in this comp.

Moley27

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm looking forward to this, will be good to get down there and cheer them on, thought they showed enough in the first quarter last week to suggest they might have a chance. Going to be hard to beat any of the established teams this year though

West Coast v Fremantle, Optus Stadium, 4.10pm AWST

• If early indications are accurate, West Coast will be heavily reliant on experienced campaigners Emma Swanson and Dana Hooker in 2020, the pair accounting for 24 per cent of the team's disposals against Collingwood.
  • Fremantle's firepower was on show against Geelong, recording 14 scoring shots from a round-high 48 inside 50s. The Dockers will be keen to improve their efficiency once in there, but Gemma Houghton, Sabreena Duffy and Roxy Roux will be a handful.
  • Tip: A finals fancy up against an expansion side implies a one-sided affair, and that will most likely be the case in the first AFLW Derby. Dockers by 32 points

...If you can, get to the game and support women’s footy - remember it’s not this generation that will benefit most. It’s the youngsters watching that will.

Go you Eagles

:thumbsu:

Tickets already printed. Taking my 9YO daughter along for a look.

trawlerman

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Even at $3 and money going to charity, it's hard to imagine they will get 40,000 and West coast don't exactly have a lot of goals on the board to attract fans.

Even at $3 and money going to charity, it's hard to imagine they will get 40,000 and West coast don't exactly have a lot of goals on the board to attract fans.

Basing a ticket‘s worth on how many goals you’re going to see on the day is missing the point of the competition as it currently exists.

If young girls who love footy can see that there is the ability to play beyond 12 years old, they’ll stick with it, the skills will go up, the game speed will increase and overall quality grows. The footy we’re watching now is what happens when keen football players are lost to the sport before they hit their teens because there’s nowhere for them to play.

You’re paying for that future growth, not necessarily to see the single greatest game of professional sport in human history. 40,000 might be a stretch but it should be pretty well supported I’d imagine.

Too ******* hot out you would think to get any sort of big crowd in.
Its 28 degrees tomorrow

Freo v Pies 2019 attracted 41,975

Regardless of "lot of goals" on the board, I expect the WCE faithful will back them team on their first home game.

Its 28 degrees tomorrow

Regardless of "lot of goals" on the board, I expect the WCE faithful will back them team on their first home game.
Im going to blame a fried brain, thought it was tonight?

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)

The above crowd was in part because a lot of people went along to get first look at their new seats at the stadium. I'm looking forward to seeing the crowd tomorrow (taking the family), but I genuinely have no idea how many will turn up.

The above crowd was in part because a lot of people went along to get first look at their new seats at the stadium.
Fair enough.

It doesn't matter to me anyhow, as we cannot wait to get there and watch the girls, live in action! :D

I will be there with three others from the family. Hope it’s a good crowd and I really would like to see a lot of blue and yellow there .

Don’t think we will win but I would be rapt if halfway through the last quarter even if we are down on the scoreboard, how good would the “Eagles .... Eagles .... Eagles” chant sound for the girls as they represent our magnificent Club at home for points for the very first time.

This is about Club loyalty and support for the newest section of our Club.

The Fremantle girls team may have been playing in the comp longer but let’s remind them that there is only ONE BIG CLUB in this town and they don’t wear purple.

Why scratch with the turkeys when you can fly with the Eagles .

trawlerman

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
There aren't too many faithful followers of the womens team as they've only played one game and kicked one goal and it will be another one-sided game tomorrow.

There aren't too many faithful followers of the womens team
You seem pretty confident of this. Why is that?

it will be another one-sided game tomorrow.
Wow a new side up against a hardened side looking like a beating? What a revelation!

Go there and support the women, it’ll be a good arvo regardless of result 👍🏽

trawlerman

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You seem pretty confident of this. Why is that?

Wow a new side up against a hardened side looking like a beating? What a revelation!

Go there and support the women, it’ll be a good arvo regardless of result 👍🏽
The proudest I've been of the WCE women was when they didn't join the comp for two years.
I was there at Freo when their team ran out onto the ground for the first time and I could see the determination and focus in them all. There's no doubt the women AFL players are athletic, developing skills and are a great inspiration for youngsters to get out and have a go.
It won't be too hot tomorrow avo and I have no excuse not to go, free transport even.
I'm on holidays atm and I may take your advice so we'll see.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Doesnt strictly relate to this thread, but I thought I would put it here as the more recent AFLW thread. Listening to The Boundary podcast featuring Nic Negrepontis and Chloe Malloy. Of course the first thing they talked about was the Pies Eagles game, and Nic mentioned he thought it could have been nearly 50% Eagles supporters there.

I do recall from the broadcast the commentators mentioning it odd that the crowd booed a decision that went the Pies way, thought at the time, there is either a very big, or very noisy Eagles contingent at the game.

Good sign of things to come.

Back