AFL Toast RND 2: Win Against the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm dicey on this tbh, while it probably was deserved it should just be a fine, like guelfi wasn't injured or anything, right?

might be a bit biased because i enjoy watching charlie ballard play

I assume they're going to argue it was 'reckless', but seeing as it was away from play I don't like their chances.
There's not much in it, but it was stupid and unneccessary so I'd say the AFL would be happy with a week in the hopes it makes other think twice

On what grounds could he possibly get off that charge? It's clearly striking, clearly intentional, clearly high, and surely cannot be anything lower than low impact.

Also looked basically unprovoked, given Guelfi had been on the ground for all of 5 minutes at that point of the game, and he'd just finished knocking Menzie around before he lashed out at Guelfi. Don't think being provoked makes a lot of difference in legalese but it's not self-defence or anything.

The fact it's head contact with all the lawsuits relating to protecting the head and concussion doesn't help his cause either. The AFL does not want to look soft on anything related to this stuff atm.
As silly as it might sound, I thought he was trying to fend off Draper and just didn't see Gooey until he hit him. That's how it looked from my seat. I thought it was accidental

As silly as it might sound, I thought he was trying to fend off Draper and just didn't see Gooey until he hit him. That's how it looked from my seat. I thought it was accidental
The replay is in the link, he did look at Draper before he looked at Guelfi and smashed his forearm into the side of his head

I assume they're going to argue it was 'reckless', but seeing as it was away from play I don't like their chances.
There's not much in it, but it was stupid and unneccessary so I'd say the AFL would be happy with a week in the hopes it makes other think twice
that's true yeah, just seeing what precedent they set for the rest of the season with it imo

Rewatching the game after being there live. Just reconfirms how tough caldwell is in the contest. Just bodies the ball at the every opportunity and makes his tackles stick. Set up the Martin goal just before halftime with a great effort in the backline. It’s really starting to show why he was compared to selwood in his underage years
Yep. Caldwell and Hobbs are going to be beasts in there.

that's true yeah, just seeing what precedent they set for the rest of the season with it imo
I think that precedent is the reason the appeal will be successful. The AFL's gonna want that precedent in case a brownlow favourite is in danger of being rubbed out or a star player missing finals.

i'm dicey on this tbh, while it probably was deserved it should just be a fine, like guelfi wasn't injured or anything, right?

might be a bit biased because i enjoy watching charlie ballard play
If you throw an elbow/forearm and make contact you deserve a week for stupidity.

A couple of inches different and he cracks Guelfis jaw with the point of his elbow.

If you throw an elbow/forearm and make contact you deserve a week for stupidity.

A couple of inches different and he cracks Guelfis jaw with the point of his elbow.
i absolutely agree but within reason in the past they’ve always given these a fine, now if they’re actually making proper changes & harsher penalties for it im fine, i just think given the track record of the tribunal not being exactly the greatest, it’ll probably get downgraded to a fine & that’ll be the precedent for the season.

i can’t them having to suspend someone like patrick dangerfield or any other future brownlow hopeful for something similar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
The area we need to keep chipping away at is pressure on the second and third kicks in the chain coming out of the back half. Our set up generally has done a good job at forcing sides to go a bit wider out of defence.
There have been some opposition transition straight through the middle when we have turned the footy over going inside 50 and some zone mistakes but in general we have been okay at forcing the first kick wide.
The next step is not allowing the second kick to come back inside and forcing it down the wing and hopefully a contest but at a minimum forcing sides to kick to leads in the pockets from the third kick in the chain.
We still let too many of the second and third kicks find easy targets.
The change is there . Just have to keep fine tuning it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back