AFL Toast RND 2: Win Against the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win for different reasons. Loved that we fought back when challenged.. GC came at us hard 2-3 times and we responded each time. Our midfield stood up.. the addition of Setters really makes us look a lot better in there. Finally a coach that plays two rucks.. Draper is not a run all day solo ruck type.. really important to give him a break and push some height into our short forwardline. Finally have some pace around the ball.

Yep it has been a softer start to the year but first time in 10 that we have gone 2-0 and that feels good. Can only beat who is put in front of you and this young group will take a lot of confidence from it.

Hope BZT isn't too serious.. he has really become solid down back. Very scary to think that we have the longest injury list in the AFL and can still produce that quality. Hobbs, Tsatas, String, Reid, Cox, Weeds, Wright, AMT, J Davey all likely to be pushing for spots/expected to be best 22 at some point. Plus Snelling, Tex, Munkara.. and Hind not even close to selection despite being an auto best 22 last two seasons.

Also very impressed with Scotts tactics so far. Game plan is one thing and that is coming together but his in game adjustments have been great and that was one area that Rutten was very poor with. Have to be able to adjust your tactics and game style and Scott seems far more intune with it.

Fly Up!

We're such a fit team suddenly, wtf.
You always look better when you defend as a team a bit better and you are not chasing the opposition back the other way after working hard to get it inside 50 🙂

I’m genuinely interested to see how his performance today will be reconstructed into a soft unaccountable, clumsy effort where he cheated his way into positions by stealing the ball from forwards instead of defending it🤣
People are finally falling in love with The Zerk. Might be time for me to hop off the bandwagon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the game and was very nervous for three quarters… Great fitness and spark in the last from Menzie, Langford and Guelfi.
I think Phillips is criminally under rated - Witts threatened to take the game away from us early and Flip allows big Drapes to go forward and provide a tall target which we need right now…
Hopefully Stringer and Voss come in next week
Sadly I think Heppell is cooked

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im going with reid into chb, laverde to Kelly's spot.
Redman, mass, mcgrath and ridley as the rest.

Will be hayes v zerk imo.
Kelly was far better than Laverde today and generally is better on the smalls

All of the good stuff will be echoed as it should be. Two points for mine:
Is the club growing up and willing to make the tough call on Heppell? Today a step in the right direction and his reaction (IMO) shows that he has no insight into the fact that he’s past it and hindering progress of the side.
Secondly; it should have been Harry Jones today rather than Langford. If he can’t be the man now (in the absence of 2MP and Weid), perhaps he never will be. And with Voss getting a head of steam his spot may not be his spot for too long.
I think Harry is struggling from the effects of not having a decent run of form . He got picked last year when he was only 70% ready and his form has been average to poor.
In an ideal world he gets to play a bit of VFL to find some form.

By the time this happens kelly will be 30
Reid has to be a good 2-3 years from consistent best 22 football
I'm not convinced either will be best 22 come years end

Voss kicked 5 today.
Voss plays a similar style to Langford as fans forwards go so he is not playing exactly the same role as such.
They could give Voss a go but they would have to play a different structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back