AFL Toast RND 2: Win Against the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Encouraging signs but watching Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane and Richmond's standard of play for three quarters yesterday there could be a reality check coming.

Yep, I walked away from today thinking if that was against a top side then it was a 6 to 8 goal loss.

Rewatching the game after being there live. Just reconfirms how tough caldwell is in the contest. Just bodies the ball at the every opportunity and makes his tackles stick. Set up the Martin goal just before halftime with a great effort in the backline. It’s really starting to show why he was compared to selwood in his underage years

Last edited:
Encouraging signs but watching Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane and Richmond's standard of play for three quarters yesterday there could be a reality check coming.
we're a bottom 4 team playing better than expected.

to try and match a handful of top 4 sides & the blues is going to be a challenge, but if you can see the same effort & ethic brought into those matches, you can take the losses.

Think we're seeing a young, inexperienced side playing with a bit of effort and purpose. Doubt we'll trouble the best sides in the comp but digging in and fighting it out when the opposition gets a run on is such a big thing to see each and every week.

I'll take us being a side that's defensively hard-working that loses due to experience and youth over a side that front runs and has the odd win but gets easily scored against.

Watching the game yesterday, I think Gold Coast matched up with us very well. That end score flattered us.
We were lucky GC kicked loads of behinds and we got a very very lucky lucky touched ball goal by Zerk. That decision seemed to deflate GC at that point.

GC should get a few good wins under their belt.

Watching the game yesterday, I think Gold Coast matched up with us very well. That end score flattered us.
We were lucky GC kicked loads of behinds and we got a very very lucky lucky touched ball goal by Zerk. That decision seemed to deflate GC at that point.

GC should get a few good wins under their belt.

GC kicked loads of behinds but equally, I think we kicked 3-4 shots OOTF and a couple of shots didn’t even make the distance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC kicked loads of behinds but equally, I think we kicked 3-4 shots OOTF and a couple of shots didn’t even make the distance.
GC aren't awful any more. But def not top 8 side either. We did hit the post twice I think it was too. But they did have 25 scoring shots. We need to be better defensively if we want to be a good team but we are very young.

Yeah he was off at the start. How much potential though

Oh I wasn’t have a crack at him. Just saying that scoring shots wise, there’s a number of ours that weren’t reflected because they were either OOTF or didn’t make the distance 😊

Thought Menzie was really tough at the ball. Him, Durham and Caldwell made good combinations.

Last edited:
All replays are usually available of afl site. Might just not have uploaded it yet
The AFL website doesn’t have the game replay available, only highlights.

Is that because of a TV rights thing, or in other words will it be available at any stage?

I assume it's rights, Foxtel (Kayo) has replays of every game so they'd be the rights holders
It's up now guys. Can't wait to watch it myself 👍

Suns head to the Tribunal to challenge Ballard ban​

Charlie Ballard will challenge his one-match suspension at the Tribunal this week

Ballard was sanctioned by the Match Review Officer for a third quarter incident against Essendon's Matt Guelfi on Sunday that was assessed as striking and graded as intentional conduct, low impact and high contact.

Suns head to the Tribunal to challenge Ballard ban​

Charlie Ballard will challenge his one-match suspension at the Tribunal this week

Ballard was sanctioned by the Match Review Officer for a third quarter incident against Essendon's Matt Guelfi on Sunday that was assessed as striking and graded as intentional conduct, low impact and high contact.
i'm dicey on this tbh, while it probably was deserved it should just be a fine, like guelfi wasn't injured or anything, right?

might be a bit biased because i enjoy watching charlie ballard play

On what grounds could he possibly get off that charge? It's clearly striking, clearly intentional, clearly high, and surely cannot be anything lower than low impact.

Also looked basically unprovoked, given Guelfi had been on the ground for all of 5 minutes at that point of the game, and he'd just finished knocking Menzie around before he lashed out at Guelfi. Don't think being provoked makes a lot of difference in legalese but it's not self-defence or anything.

The fact it's head contact with all the lawsuits relating to protecting the head and concussion doesn't help his cause either. The AFL does not want to look soft on anything related to this stuff atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back