AFL Toast RND 2: Win Against the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We chase, we pressure, we stick tackles and we have a defensive structure to stop end to end transitions. Still early days but you can actually see the structure of an accountable footballing group being built.

We also did a really good job of roving packs and getting to good front and square positions.

Don't want to pile on Heppell but he's probably really the only guy today who didn't do multiple positive things

Loved that we ran out the game -Setterfield makes a huge difference to our midfield with his tackling and general grunt around the ball
Also liking the ruck combo of Phillips and Draper - Phillips more than competed in the ruck against Witts and allows Draper to go forward - he will kick a bag of 5+ this year I feel.
Heppell should plays twos and guide our youngsters
Stringer and potentially Voss in next week things are on the up!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last week we were playing Langford behind the ball. This week he’s our main target going forward and kicks five snags.
Setterfield is a steal.
Redman and Zerk are locks each week.
Merrett good again.

Lots to like there.

Concerns? Hepp is done I’m afraid. Harry Jones gets knocked out of contents way too easily. McGrath’s disposal at times wasn’t good enough. Can’t let a team like the Suns get a three goal lead on you. Poor starts can cost you and next week we need to start much sharper.

Happy with the chocolates🤘

First live game in a few years and one thing stood out, the hand balling around the clearances looked less rushed and panicked.

There were times when I thought Essendon were going to fold but they didn't.

Redman is clearly dirty for not getting the captaincy, the mids were all good, and Durham and Langford worked well up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very pleasing win. You measure the merit of a win against the quality of the opponent. Last week Hawks were rubbish, today we played a pretty decent team. Loved that we responded when seriously challenged, and continued to apply pressure to a very talented group of mids when they looked like taking game away from us. Hope BZT hadn't got a bad one, it would be super cruel when he has come on so well.
One sobering thought. Even though I think Suns are pretty handy, Sydney made them look second rate last week playing them on Sun's home ground. Still, one step at a time.

To be fair I think the Swans are the best team in the comp, so there's no shame in being less dominant than them!

Wow wee we actually have a team defence,
! Scott is already better than rutten, worsfold, I can now watch a game and know what our game plan is. Still of dead wood still, sorry help players have passed you. What is even better our readies smashed them and pressure is on everywhere for spots, when is the last time this has happened?

Solid game but there were lots of moments in the first three quarters that we need to iron out of the game. Very slow and timid moving the ball around the ground and not a lot of movement being generated by the midfielders and forwards when we have possession on our half back. We also did not look to switch the ball enough IMO and probably opted to go down the line to the talls too often despite having an undermanned forward line with Weideman sitting out. Really just glad to get the win there.

Top of the table clash next week!

Our fitness has gone to a new level this year. Also legitimate intent helps as well.

Great win and overall pleased. GC actually played pretty well today. Loving Setters game atm.

I think we’re looking fitter because we’re defending better/smarter and aren’t having to work as hard without the ball. No doubt we seem to be finishing quarters quite well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davey's ability to pop up around the ground and make an impact in the game has really been impressive.
He is great overheard for his size, but for mine he needs to stay down more to crumb.

Went to the game and was very nervous for three quarters… Great fitness and spark in the last from Menzie, Langford and Guelfi.
I think Phillips is criminally under rated - Witts threatened to take the game away from us early and Flip allows big Drapes to go forward and provide a tall target which we need right now…
Hopefully Stringer and Voss come in next week
Sadly I think Heppell is cooked

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Flip is one of my favourite players.

1st game I went down to see in years. A pretty tense for the first 3 quarters. 1st quarter was worried about our lack of height down the forward line thought it might be a problem but the rucks were used to great effect to negate that.
Another pleasing aspect was you could see them pushing to help each other in the backline when Zerk went off. Setters what can I say. Other mids were good too. Redman was everywhere. Langers good. Lots to improve on still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back