Preview RND 20 - Carlton v St Kilda, Friday 30th July 7:50 PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #222

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out :: Cottrell, Newnes, Williams (injured), Betts (possibly injured)
In :: McKay, O'Brien, Murphy, Honey

Lets just get Murphy to his 300 now... honoring such a long standing servant of the club will only be a good thing in the long run. We know what Newnes and Cottrell can bring... so lets at least get a look at O'Brien and Honey

Out :: Cottrell, Newnes, Williams (injured), Betts (possibly injured)
In :: McKay, O'Brien, Murphy, Honey

Lets just get Murphy to his 300 now... honoring such a long standing servant of the club will only be a good thing in the long run. We know what Newnes and Cottrell can bring... so lets at least get a look at O'Brien and Honey

How or why is getting Murphy to 300 going to be a 'good thing in the end'?

It's just a number. Bewildering

(He shouldn't have got to 280 let alone 300)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Charlie Curnow is an endurance beast, I’d be very tempted to play him if Harry didn’t come up. We can manage his TOG.

No way one can justify promoting O’Brien based on his work in the 2s, but if we decide to put the cue in the rack I can understand giving him the rest of the season to give him a chance to press his case for staying on the list. It would take a massive turnaround however. Other than that give Honey , Kemp , Ramsey a taste, Charlie if he is ready, Harry back if fit, and anyone with height and fitness to give them a chance to show their wares and by the way the team a chance to structure in a way vaguely resembling normal. Outs ? - well there are plenty of options there but apart from the possible injury victims and/or sending players off for surgery I would have thought Cottrell and Owies might be front of the cue along with Murphy if we are not carrying him to 300. If we are putting the cue in the rack I don’t mind carrying him there - I think people tend to forget the service he has given over the years, but just don’t let his inclusion be at the cost of a kid - rest someone like Newman or Newnes who we know the potential of. Don’t expect 5 or 6 changes however barring injury but most likely that many changes or more spread over the rest of the season.

Betts (if Injured) otherwise Owies > Honey
Williams > OBrien
Williamson > Kemp
Cottrell > Ramsey

Murphy remains the sub:

It's as obvious as anything that we refuse to run carry Handball receive and short pass into 50, even with a depleted forward line. So im putting Liam Jones forward as a marking target. Brodie Kemp goes to be the floater across Half Back and Weitering the deep lock down.

Kennedy has to play 70/30 mid to forward. And I'd have Cripps do the opposite 30/70 primarily playing as a roaming CHF.

With an injury list like ours you need to be proactive, something that Teague has not done.

Back Rotation:
Weitering Kemp Plowman Stocker Saad Newman SPS

Primary Inside Mid Rotation:
Walsh Curnow Dow Kennedy

Primary Outside Mid Rotation:
Newnes Ramsey LoB Fisher

Forward & Rucks:
TDK Jones Cripps JSos Martin Honey Betts/Owies

Sub:
Murphy

I think LOB’s papers are stamped. The final 4 weeks of a season (if he is given the call up) is a very small sample size to base a decision as to whether or not a player is given a new contract. IMO Dow, SPS and MK were given the relevant opportunities to justify whether or not they were to remain on the list (and I’d happily retain all three).

if Charlie is fit, I’d love to see him play. I expect a teething process while the players adjust to having two tall targets to kick to, and for Harry and Charlie to work each other out and build that forward line relationship.

As for other changes, let’s get games into Honey, Ramsay and Carroll between now and round 23.

if the club wants to carry Murphy to 300, then he should be the sub because he sets a poor example on the field.

Cripps needs to strip his game back down to his basics (tackles, clearances and handballs) - he does them better than just about anyone else.

Although he had a statistically good game against the Roos, I couldn’t help but feel he looked ineffectual around the contest in the midfield.

Our players on the outside killed us on the weekend with poor disposal and inability to get space - can’t let that happen again. Whether it’s coaching or work-rate - I’m not sure.

How or why is getting Murphy to 300 going to be a 'good thing in the end'?

It's just a number. Bewildering

(He shouldn't have got to 280 let alone 300)

why the hatred of getting Murph to 300 has been a loyal and faithful servant of this club and deserves to get there in my book
Kudos to you Mark Murphy

Do you genuinely believe our defensive structure performs at an above average level due to his introduction into the side, or that the issue is that younger, less experienced players currently perform worse? Why not upskill the younger players?

That he has been playing ahead of Williamson for at least the last 6 weeks has been an absolute joke. We nearly mentally disintegrated a kid who lives and breathes preparation and work rate in his ethos, and somehow we couldn't turn that into a coachable asset to the team.

I'd still take him in the sweeper role over Newman. As it is, the choice I'm making is that I want to priortise Kemp getting a taste and am giving him Newman's duties. He might sink, in which case Docherty can take over and Kemp has work to do in the post-season and pre-season.

Or, he might swim.

For another way to express this argument: if our list is so talented and capable and you feel that Newman and Newnes being regulars in the 22 is reflective of their status within that, why the hell did Sydney and the Saints let them go so readily?
Well Jim our defensive structure prior to this weeks game held teams with both Newman and your other whipping boy Newnes in the side to 62 70 64 and 73 points for 3 wins .
The coach finally implemented a better balance in our play .
Only to then abandon that against North i really think your barking up the wrong tree with the constant honing in on Newnes and Newman .
These players are in no way a concern Teague is the concern .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why the hatred of getting Murph to 300 has been a loyal and faithful servant of this club and deserves to get there in my book
Kudos to you Mark Murphy
Play the best 22. He isn't best 22 and hasn't been for 2 years. Lack of selection integrity gets us the results we have been getting

Charlie Curnow is an endurance beast, I’d be very tempted to play him if Harry didn’t come up. We can manage his TOG.
Endurance isn't the issue, it's strength around the various joints. Game day pressure is higher, and we'll see where the physiom medical and high performance staff think he's at this week.

Well Jim our defensive structure prior to this weeks game held teams with both Newman and your other whipping boy Newnes in the side to 62 70 64 and 73 points for 3 wins .
The coach finally implemented a better balance in our play .
Only to then abandon that against North i really think your barking up the wrong tree with the constant honing in on Newnes and Newman .
These players are in no way a concern Teague is the concern .
What separates Kemp's output versus Newman? What about Williamson, who is now in decent form after been giving a clear path to opportunity and the right role and TOG?

I didn't drop Newnes in this instance, but I feel he is a player we should move on from. A tall, strongly built, slower wingman who has absolutely no skill inside the contest despite sharp hands, and no ability to open the game by foot consistently despite a technically proficient kick. He is a bewildering player.

Play the best 22. He isn't best 22 and hasn't been for 2 years. Lack of selection integrity gets us the results we have been getting

Look...I’m no current Murph fan, but his 2019 was AFL standard, especially when he was played more as a mid when DT took over. For instance, in the absence of Crippa (who was actually influencing games back then) he and Ed where immense in our Freo away win, a win I had the joy of seeing at Optus.

I would have contracted him this year but the problem we had is that we didn’t make him aware of the type of KPI’s he had to meet to be in our 22. This was crucial, especially for a guy in the shadows of 300.

At the bye break is when we should have retired him to put him out of his misery and reduce the pressure of our MC to give him token games. This is really a metaphor for our weak current culture and lack of cajones at the top, it’s soooo Carlton and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Kudos to you Mark Murphy

The regard given to the achievement of 300 games is based on the fact that someone has been deemed to be in the best 22 that many times. Carrying someone over the line based purely on a number devalues the whole thing.

Kudos to you Mark Murphy
He hadn't been playing well for a long time and then got injured against the Crows so its really hard to think what he could possibly done in the past month since he's been out to justify selection. Teague even said in his post match presser that he could not be considered for a starting role this week because he wasn't 100% match fit. It suggests to me he is simply being given a game to get to the milestone which in my mind sets a really poor standard at the club and is really damaging to morale among the rest of the group. I agree there is no need for hatred but the past is the past and he cannot be earning games because he was a great player and has been a loyal servant to the club. I will always remember him as a great player for the club regardless of whether he plays 300 or not.

Endurance isn't the issue, it's strength around the various joints. Game day pressure is higher, and we'll see where the physiom medical and high performance staff think he's at this week.

What separates Kemp's output versus Newman? What about Williamson, who is now in decent form after been giving a clear path to opportunity and the right role and TOG?

I didn't drop Newnes in this instance, but I feel he is a player we should move on from. A tall, strongly built, slower wingman who has absolutely no skill inside the contest despite sharp hands, and no ability to open the game by foot consistently despite a technically proficient kick. He is a bewildering player.
Jim is there was insufficient strength around his joints they wouldn’t play him against our mothers auxiliary 18, let alone some scratchies. If his endurance and touch is ok, they will be tempted to play him if no Harry. Otherwise we see Kemp next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back