Preview RND 21 - Carlton v GC Suns Sat 7th August 1.45PM @ Etihad - Team - Post #366

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In- SPS, McGovern, Kemp
Out- Plowman, De Koning, Newnes

B Williamson Weitering Newman
HB Saad McGovern Stocker
C O’Brien Cripps Fisher
HF Martin C.Curnow Silvagni
F Owies McKay Honey
FOLL: Jones Dow Walsh
INTER: Kennedy, Kemp, E.Curnow, SPS
Sub: Murphy

In- SPS, McGovern, Kemp

HB Saad McGovern Stocker
C O’Brien Cripps Fisher
F Owies McKay Honey

Was about to take you to school for wanting to drop Plowman... then I realised which team you barrack for...

In- SPS, McGovern, Kemp

HB Saad McGovern Stocker
C O’Brien Cripps Fisher
F Owies McKay Honey
Not bad for an * fan.

Except this time we have a couple of decent forwards, makes a difference.

Biggest difference against the Saints vs the Roos was the pressure acts and the tackling - season high for tackles and probably for pressure acts too

If we play with that style the next 3 games well then we get to play a 4th game at the very least too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to make sure our effort is at 100% for the first quarter, really shut them down to thinking they have a chance. Any team can beat any team if one isn't on and that's been seen this season. They are a team who we should beat easily however we can't be thinking that.

I would suspect that they will be going defensive from the get go, IMO we should do the same. Not having a pure ruckman actually tidied up our midfield play, made us play closer and apply more physical pressure, we need to bring that again. Really

I really hope we go with Silvagni and Cripps as our ruckmen. It should worry the hell out of the suns knowing that someone like Zac Smith has to go with Silvagni and Cripps around the ground and to compete with them when the ball is on the ground at stoppages. Hitouts aren't much worth, just play tight, be physical and get it to ground and that is when we have a huge advantage with an extra midfielder all day.

Most ruck hitouts just hit the ground or to a contest. Ball hits the ground and with Kennedy, Cripps/Silvagni, Walsh and Dow there V 3 followers and a ruckman we are way ahead around the stoppages and in general play. Silvagni has been killing ruckmen around the ground in this role. This will really free Cripps up and IMO he will be unstoppable opposed to a big ruck type.

Wouldn't mind McGovern in, he can take the ruck a bit as well and come on and off the bench as a forward. Remembering he is a gun kick at goal so if he's getting shots that's a real bonus for us. McGovern, Curnow, Silvagni and McKay. McKay is likely to get some freedom because of that and he's in terrific form. Hard to defend. I can see Curnow and McGovern rotation on and off the bench, keeps these underdone blokes fresh and us from being too tall. It's a worry we may be too tall but we will be tall and mobile.

SPS is another who I would not mind see coming in. The more players who come in who can kick the better, in saying that his kicking has not been really on lately but we know he can kick. Need to get the ball to our good kicks. Can see Saad and O'Brien causing them trouble but also can see them trying to shut them down a bit. A bit of physicality towards who is playing on these guys is on the cards IMO, plenty of blocking, within the rules of course.

Having youth up forward who want to prove themselves is going to be good for us. Honey, Owies, Fisher etc, it's time to really step up and apply a heap of pressure.

Just some quick stats to add to the possibility of Harry, Mitch and Charlie in the same forward line (I found these, so hopefully no errors)
Since Mitch McGovern was recruited for the 2019 season:

- Individual games played since R1 2019 - McKay 51, McGovern 31, C. Curnow 12
- All 3 have played in the same side in 8 out of a possible 58 matches so far.
- 6 matches together under Brendan Bolton (0W-6L), 2 under David Teague (1W-1L)
- In 8 matches together they have scored: C. Curnow 16.6, McGovern 12.1, McKay 11.7
- The best return from the three was R13 - 2019 vs Western Bulldogs (their last game together) - C. Curnow 7.1, McKay 1.0, McGovern 1.0
- All three scored multiple goals on one occasion R8 - 2019 vs Collingwood - McGovern 3.0, McKay 2.1, Curnow 2.0

In - McGovern, Fogarty
Out - TDK (inj), Owies (rest)

Sub - Murphy (there's no point fighting it, just let it happen)

Will be exciting to see Harry, Charlie and McG in the same forward line :thumbsu:

Would prefer to see Owies play but Fogarty is a like for like replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy start on the field for this game, maybe fog sub and Murphy start.

Gov is the obvious choice for TDK.

Would prefer to see Owies play but Fogarty is a like for like replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy start on the field for this game, maybe fog sub and Murphy start.

Gov is the obvious choice for TDK.
I actually don’t think Fogarty is a small forward at all as he’s really not good kicking for goal. He is a midfielder. Owies hasn’t hit the scoreboard much of late but I think he deserves another chance this week against Gold Coast. If he doesn’t fire then I think comes out the following week for Betts who should be available by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don’t think Fogarty is a small forward at all as he’s really not good kicking for goal. He is a midfielder. Owies hasn’t hit the scoreboard much of late but I think he deserves another chance this week against Gold Coast. If he doesn’t fire then I think comes out the following week for Betts who should be available by then.
Midfielder mainly through his U18 draft years with occasional small forward roles, doesn’t have much of the natural forward craft that would make him more impactful in that role, his kicking lacks penetration but does have a good appetite for the contest and great defensive pressure...
A work in progress atm...

• Cripps is slowly building up to form, last two week 2 mids 20s possessions, 4 goals, and working on his strengths again (helps when Walsh is now being a focus and Walsh can run)
  • Dow is becoming more complete, now a 2.5-3 quarter player but building
  • JSOS, he's a Silvagni, nuff said!
  • This game we need to take them by the throat early, demoralise them! Switch things around JSOS, McGov, Cripps rucking at various times, even rotate Jones and McGov around. With a good lead even try a thing or two like Stocker in the mid for a bounce or two.
  • Don't bring in injured or question mark players, like Betts (give him another week).
In: McGov, Fogarty, SPS
Out: TDK, Owies, Newnes

Alarm bells for our coaching team....Gold Coast were demoralized on the weekend. Expect them to come out firing against us - they'll point to the North game and highlight we have a soft underbelly which can be exploited.

We need to be on our game for this - it's not a walkover.
Our preparation should be sitting on a plane to the Gold Coast, then turning round and flying back. Worked for Dees!

Seriously though, at 10am Saturday the GC thought they had a game 5 hours later at Metricon. Then suddenly they get told "no you can have your home game tomorrow at the MCG against one of the tenants". Pretty bloody disruptive.

It's not surprising the side with nothing to play for didn't cope very well with the situation. We should win, but they aren't nearly as bad as yesterday suggests.

Sub is always Murphy.
I figured that was your thinking, but you've also ejected him from a squad of 23.

No McGovern? Doubtful. I think he plays. Especially since he played forward, back and ruck in VFL.
Anybody who watched the reserves game think McGov looked really lean? Almost gangly even?
This was my read as well. I'm going to go back through it a bit more but I felt his work rate was off, and he's lacking a little power and core strength.

Mentally and tactically sharp though.

Well TDK won't play so probably should factor that in....
Was it even formally confirmed as a pec injury? He went for scans, so I'm going to sit back and wait for a prognosis.

More likely to keep one of the players I've opted to drop than bring someone else in.

Just an incredibly crazy idea. What if we just started 8-9 behind the ball at every centre bounce.

You have no ruckman, so you concede the centre bounce entirely and intentionally break the 6-6-6 rule at every opportunity. Then you build the whole gameplan on flooding the defensive half, and beating them on turnover. Assuming the ruckman has to take the kick, we back ourselves on the basis that Zac Smith aint a great user of the ball, and we have the defense blocked up.

You could really mess with the opposition and potentially cause them to break the 6-6-6 rule as they try to react to such a left field strategy.

Can we please just put Ed on Touk?
Everything else will take care of itself if Ed can nullify their best player.

It's an interesting one. We've looked much better with a more attacking mix at centre bounces - Cripps, Dow, Walsh, Kennedy, plus later cameos from Fisher. Running a permanent tag on one of their prime mids may hurt more than it helps in some ways.

I think I'd like to see us back in our guys to win the contest and provide the same physical pressure they did against St Kilda, but have the Curnow tag ready to go should Miller start to get his hands on the ball. Could potentially start Ed on a wing and have him push in for repeat stoppages, and pick up Miller in general play.

Just an incredibly crazy idea. What if we just started 8-9 behind the ball at every centre bounce.

You have no ruckman, so you concede the centre bounce entirely and intentionally break the 6-6-6 rule at every opportunity. Then you build the whole gameplan on flooding the defensive half, and beating them on turnover. Assuming the ruckman has to take the kick, we back ourselves on the basis that Zac Smith aint a great user of the ball, and we have the defense blocked up.

You could really mess with the opposition and potentially cause them to break the 6-6-6 rule as they try to react to such a left field strategy.

What about when the ruckman realises he can just handball it to someone like Lukosius streaming off half back...?

Novel idea, but I can't imagine a world where automatically conceding a free kick to the opposition at every centre bounce has anything remotely close to a positive impact on our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back