Preview RND 21 - Carlton v GC Suns Sat 7th August 1.45PM @ Etihad - Team - Post #366

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an incredibly crazy idea. What if we just started 8-9 behind the ball at every centre bounce.

You have no ruckman, so you concede the centre bounce entirely and intentionally break the 6-6-6 rule at every opportunity. Then you build the whole gameplan on flooding the defensive half, and beating them on turnover. Assuming the ruckman has to take the kick, we back ourselves on the basis that Zac Smith aint a great user of the ball, and we have the defense blocked up.

You could really mess with the opposition and potentially cause them to break the 6-6-6 rule as they try to react to such a left field strategy.

Buddha Hocking likes this

What about when the ruckman realises he can just handball it to someone like Lukosius streaming off half back...?

Novel idea, but I can't imagine a world where automatically conceding a free kick to the opposition at every centre bounce has anything remotely close to a positive impact on our chances.
OK, so we get a player who we're delisting at the end of the season to absolutely run through Lukosius before the first bounce - make alastair lynch and big bad barry's incidents look like a walk in the park. Problem solved :p

Just an incredibly crazy idea. What if we just started 8-9 behind the ball at every centre bounce.

You have no ruckman, so you concede the centre bounce entirely and intentionally break the 6-6-6 rule at every opportunity. Then you build the whole gameplan on flooding the defensive half, and beating them on turnover. Assuming the ruckman has to take the kick, we back ourselves on the basis that Zac Smith aint a great user of the ball, and we have the defense blocked up.

You could really mess with the opposition and potentially cause them to break the 6-6-6 rule as they try to react to such a left field strategy.
Once you're caught out you have to reset to 6/6/6 before the free kick is taken don't you?

Are you referencing my post? I'd already opted to bring in Kemp to support the key defensive group.

You send Jones or McKay to the bounce if JSOS can't handle it at that time.

Let's also be clear about something: this is not a good long-term strategy for any 6'3-6'5 player. They will wreck their knees and ankles when trying to compete via their leap at the centre bounce.

Are you referencing my post? I'd already opted to bring in Kemp to support the key defensive group.

You send Jones or McKay to the bounce if JSOS can't handle it at that time.

Let's also be clear about something: this is not a good long-term strategy for any 6'3-6'4 player. They will wreck their knees when trying to compete via their leap at the centre bounce.
Nah, I would have quoted you.

I was just thinking about how if we have no ruckman, it could be a better strategy to intentionally lose the centre bounce so you only have to contest the ball ups around the ground. If you do it in a prepared way, its less advantageous. But flagging that its a bit of a loopy left field idea

Nah, I would have quoted you.

I was just thinking about how if we have no ruckman, it could be a better strategy to intentionally lose the centre bounce so you only have to contest the ball ups around the ground. If you do it in a prepared way, its less advantageous. But flagging that its a bit of a loopy left field idea
I mean there's a difference between conceding the ruck contest and infringing it. Defensive ruck strategies aren't anything new.

That being said, the ruck still has to put their body in, otherwise the dominant ruckman will just tap it to the space the extra ground-level player can't get to.

I'm still enjoying the afterglow from the win against the Saints :D

Ideally, I would like to have Pitto in for TDK, as we don't want to kill JSOS
But, if he doesn't get up, I can live with JSOS/ Gov ruck duties, as GCS don't have much of a ruck team anyway

I'm taking nothing less than a convincing win this week though :D

I'm still enjoying the afterglow from the win against the Saints :D

Ideally, I would like to have Pitto in for TDK, as we don't want to kill JSOS
But, if he doesn't get up, I can live with JSOS/ Gov ruck duties, as GCS don't have much of a ruck team anyway

I'm taking nothing less than a convincing win this week though :D
I don't want Pitto back in the side, at all. He tries hard but is a huge momentum killer imo. JSOS keeps the ball going forward, happy to play him as undersized ruck for remainder of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would much prefer to play him against Port and call it quits.
Im the opposite. Sub this week. Week off against port. If the final game is a dead rubber (no mathematical possibility of finals), then Murphy starts on ground, if not, he starts as sub. He gets his 300 games, but doesnt do so at the expense of finals.

I don't want Pitto back in the side, at all. He tries hard but is a huge momentum killer imo. JSOS keeps the ball going forward, happy to play him as undersized ruck for remainder of the year.

I think the coaches are thinking the same...Gov was doing some ruck work in the VFL last week.

No more double ruck and Casboult will retire soon. We clearly don't want Harry or Charlie rucking...so JSOS (back up from Gov) to be our support rucks.

I'd consider Gov for Owies if TDK is good to go

Fk we're finally seeing our potentially lethal forward line on the park together after 2 long years...

Tall - McKay/Curnow
Medium - Gov/JSOS/Martin
Small - Fisher/Honey (Betts/Owies/Fogarty)

That looks dangerous. We really have been cruelled by injuries.

Fk we're finally seeing our potentially lethal forward line on the park together after 2 long years...

Tall - McKay/Curnow
Medium - Gov/JSOS/Martin
Small - Fisher/Honey (Betts/Owies/Fogarty)

That looks dangerous. We really have been cruelled by injuries.

* me, and all it took was until 3 matches left in an almost dead season.
That is a delightfully dangerous forward line.

Based on injury report:

In: McGovern
Out: Owies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back