AFL Autopsy Rnd 21: Chewed up and spat out by the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not just 9 of best 22 out, it’s also playing guys like Hepp and Raz who require operations at season end. Although credit to Dys who was one of our best last night. Hooker doesn’t look right as well.

It’s not just 9 of best 22 out, it’s also playing guys like Hepp and Raz who require operations at season end. Although credit to Dys who was one of our best last night. Hooker doesn’t look right as well.
Depth has been tested this year.
It's not up to it.

Playing Hooker, Heppell and Raz of late is stupid though.
It does no one any favours.

Polar opposites in terms of forwardline structure last night. Our starting points were atrocious and didn't adjust at any stage throughout the game. Nearly every entry was either a bomb to blokes standing still or someone on a sideways lead between traffic. Dogs had a mix of those aforementioned entries but quite often had a player hitting straight up at the footy, which we never really had.

Dogs got players back to clog up CHB and in our slow play, no run & gun handball off HBF, we just chipped it round and bombed to the outnumber that they mopped up all match long.

Since the 2016 year which that year was hard to front up and watch each game, I never have been so humiliated at a game when the opposition claps and cheers a late goal....opposition fans taking the complete piss out of us !!!! we are the laughing stock of the competition at the moment....never been so cut up as a member

Since the 2016 year which that year was hard to front up and watch each game, I never have been so humiliated at a game when the opposition claps and cheers a late goal....opposition fans taking the complete piss out of us !!!! we are the laughing stock of the competition at the moment....never been so cut up as a member

Not to mention that it's the fans of the second least successful club in the history of the entire league.

Injuries have killed our season, but I didn't think it was possible to be so uncompetitive. Credit to the dogs who were bloody fantastic of course.

The result being put to bed so early gave me a chance to focus on things that others have mentioned but I never get to focus on when I'm caught in the moment. Mainly how poorly we set up around the contest. It looked like every bulldogs player knew where to position themselves around the contest, whereas too many of our guys would continually get sucked the contest like u/12s. So when they got it they already had guys on the outside to take it away (and they knew where they were), whereas when we got it and tried to step or handball outside we just ran into their net.

Combine that with too many players who are either playing unfit, lack size and strength to either break through or stick a tackle, and lack the power to run hard both ways and it was a recipe for disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three things need to happen - First, our defence is pressing too far up the ground which leaves us vulnerable to goals over the top - Second Z.Clarke is a liability in the ruck and needs to be replaced by Mckernan or Hartley - Third, Heppell and Fantasia need to plan for 2020.
Definitely agree with this. Been a feature throughout the year. Too many easy goals over the top with the opposition running back into their 50. When Hooker's one out trying to run back you know we're cooked and it's a guaranteed goal.

last night was the "perfect storm" for a bad performance.

Too many injured players out
Too many injured players playing - Fanta, Hooker & Heppell
Too many VFL level players - Begley, McNiece
Too many washed up players - Zaka, Myers & Baguely
Too many passengers - Stringer, Brown, Gleeson, Hooker.

lost any semblance of respect we'd fostered from being somewhat competitive in the back half of this year.

right back at square one again.

I think there's talent in this team, but we seriously need a new list manager to come in and shake things up

a loss like this can't be ignored

Honestly you can have our spot. At least your team would play finals like footy given the chance, I can only see us being humiliated.
North scored 14 last night.

14! Say it in the Anthony Hudson THIRTEEEEN style for effect.

Not sure it’d be ending any differently for them.

So what next EFC.......all members are waiting !!!!! No point advertising $84k members and breaking records off field.....wtf is goin to happen on field !!!!!
Well tomorrow is Monday, so that’s next I guess.

On the upside, somehow, we’re only the third lowest scoring team this round!
It’s interesting. The rule changes seemed to have caused a very even competition earlier in the year, anyone could win any week when they were reasonably healthy.

Teams had their positional weaknesses exposed with the 6-6-6, harder to engineer a loose man or a 2 on 1. No third man up in the ruck (though that came in a year earlier).

The strengths of the coaching were somewhat taken away with the runners being removed from the game. Initial match ups become more important especially in high scoring games.

Now that injuries are hitting the landscape is changing again. If one part of the ground is compromised it’s hard to get a loose man to help even the odds, and there are some real blowouts around the league as a result. 🤔

North scored 14 last night.

14! Say it in the Anthony Hudson THIRTEEEEN style for effect.

Not sure it’d be ending any differently for them.
Yeah, but I don't see them coping a 100 point loss. Things are very dire and heading in a south direction for us. That would be just terrible for all involved, supporters and the club, and I can see it possibly happening. I doubt we will make it anyway.

...off to Perth this week....good week to getaway and go on a holiday...then have a kick against Freo....I'm sure they will be glad to get some sun...take some insta snaps....maybe a few more players can get their hair coloured....and look at new coloured boots....what else can happen in Perth.....play a game of footy and bring back 4 points they owe their members...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back