AFL Toast RND 22: Win against Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

We have some seriously average players who seem to be locked in our best 22. Theres at least 3-4 that need to be upgraded if this list is to do any good
I'd put it closer to 6-7.

Kelly, Heppell, Guelfi, Phillips, Snelling, Laverde all not good enough going forward, and BZT is hit-or-miss. A few retirements hopefully in that group.

We were on a hiding to nothing. Loose, burn down tulla. Win, it’s only norf. Very mature performance in the last few minutes when norf came hard.

Christ we underrate Parish on this board. I hope we sign him up.

Beat norf in both of their grand finals this year.
No we don’t underrate him, it’s quite the opposite. Don’t want that stat padder getting 900 k over 6 years.

Positives: Tsatas is a jet. Langers continuing his good form, hopefully he gets All Australian.
Negatives: The negatives are so easy to see, we’re a bottom 3 team, scraping results against historically bad teams doesn’t bode well for our future. Parish, Flip, Laverde, Kelly, Hep, Snelling, McGrath need to get phased out this team for us to be a serious contender, not at the level needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives: Tsatas is a jet. Langers continuing his good form, hopefully he gets All Australian.
Negatives: The negatives are so easy to see, we’re a bottom 3 team, scraping results against historically bad teams doesn’t bode well for our future. Parish, Flip, Laverde, Kelly, Hep, Snelling, McGrath need to get phased out this team for us to be a serious contender, not at the level needed.

I thought Parish played very well and while I don't think McGrath did a lot (aside from that pass to Wright), he didn't make anywhere near the amount of mistakes he usually does.

Some diabolical mistakes when trying to move the ball forward, we'll improve by 20% if we can greatly minimise them. I really liked Baldwin taking the contact at chf and pumping it forward quickly, with a goal resulting - both things we lack.

Parish had a good game. Heppell good late, great to see Elijah’s first goal.

It’s time for Kelly to be playing VFL.
One of the only blokes on the ground that busted a gut to chase and pressure. He has his limitations but there are worse issues than Kelly .

2 weeks of very average footy.
From where we were sitting it looks like our game plan when the ball is in tight is let it pinball around and hope that it ends up with one of our players. If it doesn't we are not setup to defend at all.
Really struggled to stuck tackles today and a lot of our chases were half arsed.
Kudos to Merrett for going forward in the 3rd (I assume to break the tag) and basically will some pressure acts in there. It had been coming out far too easily.

Great to see Tsatas get that goal. Baldwin looked very composed as well. Cox looks much more comfortable when playing from the backline

I thought Parish played very well and while I don't think McGrath did a lot (aside from that pass to Wright), he didn't make anywhere near the amount of mistakes he usually does.
I’m sorry but I don’t care if there weren’t any mistakes, for the level they’re perceived at by our fans, they should be dominating these types of games, where there’s no pressure applied by north, where they have no confidence, poor culture, poor standards as a club and I don’t get this mindset by our fans. It’s always what have you done for me recently instead of the holistic approach of does this guy elevate us to another level to justify being paid close to a million dollars, and that answer is no. Watching Sheezel and Wardlaw look better than our ‘superstar’ is demoralising.

I don't really hate Norf - I'm happy for them if they do well, but they really need to build more into their sense of identify than just hating Essendon. It's a kind of self-limiting mentality that I wouldn't be happy with if it existed at my club. Yeah, we hate Carlton and Hawthorn etc but it's not central to our club's identity (only partly lol).

Considering the outs we had I didn't think it was that bad. The good news is it sounds like we are reasonably likely to get Setterfield, Draper, Stringer and Caldwell back next week or at least several of them. The knock on effect will be significant.
Tsatas' first goal was a great moment.
Martin had another fantastic game.
I really liked Durham's game too.
Cox starting to show better signs and look more like he belongs out there. I know a lot have already written him off but if he can get some continuity I think he can transform his game into something good.

Hard not to think that if we could replace BZT with McKay we'll be a much better team and our balance would be a lot better too. Will watch with interest to see what happens there.
I liked the look of Baldwin. Definitely would keep him on the list another year.

Next week its all in to see if we can cause an upset against an actual good team away from home. The good news is we've been able to rest up a few sore bodies against WC and Norf so it may give us a bit of an edge.

No we don’t underrate him, it’s quite the opposite. Don’t want that stat padder getting 900 k over 6 years.
Umm Parish isn’t asking for 900k. No one has mentioned that figure at all. You’re imagining things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back