AFL Toast Rnd 23, 2018: 22 Point Win against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to be "that guy" on an overall positive & celebratory night for the club, but it needs to be said...what an unfortunate waste of a season. We've played top 4 footy for the 2nd half the of the year. No doubt there is so much we can take into next year, but for that to end up in 10th feels so disappointing.
well don’t be tonight! enjoy the win, go to bed and let’s get negative tomorrow

Such a weird feeling tonight. I thought after the Carlton loss that it was far more important to take steps in becoming a formidable team than making finals. We have done that. Still feels empty though.

Gents,

No disrespect to BJ, but I reckon your young team will explode now hes no longer there to put a wet blanket on things. Really rate the youth you guys have, particularly Francis. Reckon the shackles are off in 2019 for the bombres
Goddard's problem was pace and it was a problem for us at times.

Wet blanket? Nope. You've been reading too many one-line zings on the main board. He's loved at Essendon.

Gents,

No disrespect to BJ, but I reckon your young team will explode now hes no longer there to put a wet blanket on things. Really rate the youth you guys have, particularly Francis. Reckon the shackles are off in 2019 for the bombres
you disrespect BJ tonight, you disrespect me. also you disrespect women by starting a post with “gents”. maybe reconsider your post.

Don't want to be "that guy" on an overall positive & celebratory night for the club, but it needs to be said...what an unfortunate waste of a season. We've played top 4 footy for the 2nd half the of the year. No doubt there is so much we can take into next year, but for that to end up in 10th feels so disappointing.

Could not agree more with this. I keep remembering how I felt after the Carlton game knowing we couldn’t make finals.

An awfully disappointing season... overall. But a great game tonight at a difficult venue.

We will do very well next year. We have learnt our lesson coming into 2018 with a few egos just expecting it to happen... a blessing in disguise in the long run.

Let the Tigers win back to back this year (we wouldn't have beaten them in the finals anyway) and then we can and will challenge in 2019.

Great to get the interstate monkey off our backs. That alone is a big plus to come out of the season. Have loved watching the development of Langer over the course of the season. And watching Francis blossom the last few weeks has been icing on the cake. Although I doubt he has much improvement in him, I 've really appreciated Brownie's work too. A limited talent, but he knows his limits and within them executes well and reliably. Got to love a guy who can be relied to convert those basic bread and butter goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd add Parish to that. His work in close tonight was as good as I've seen from him.

Parish isn't allowed to get credit for anything because he's under 6 foot 3, do not even start him

Such a weird feeling tonight. I thought after the Carlton loss that it was far more important to take steps in becoming a formidable team, than making finals. We have done that. Still feels empty though.

We need to move on from the carlton loss now. We still wouldn't make finals even if we beat them by 20 goals.

We sacked neeld we got better end story.

Panics under no pressure
Disposal averge

I have concerns

He's been struggling as of late, turns the ball over sometimes, second efforts can be off, but our midfield was turning it over a fair bit and not following up enough as well, that's what got port back into the game aside from losing the hit-outs 24 to 2 in the last.

The strength of Stringer, Smith and Francis kept us in the game.

Some of our senior players just hang off the ball and watch, annoys me too. Needs addressing (obviously).

Hence why I'd be looking at some better midfielders, contested players in the draft.

Great to get the interstate monkey off our backs. That alone is a big plus to come out of the season. Have loved watching the development of Langer over the course of the season. And watching Francis blossom the last few weeks has been icing on the cake. Although I doubt he has much improvement in him, I 've really appreciated Brownie's work too. A limited talent, but he knows his limits and within them executes well and reliably. Got to love a guy who can be relied to convert those basic bread and butter goals.
Brown works bloody hard leading up and pushing back. He has an underrated engine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back