AFL Toast Rnd 23, 2018: 22 Point Win against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win but what has happened to Hurley? smashes Buddy has been rubbish since got pantsed by Westhoff

Injury report said hurt his hammy in third but stayed on ground.

Only watched bits of the game but great to finsih off the season with a win and fantastic to see the younger guys really having a positive impact on the team. If we can tighten up on getting destroyed in transition (as happened repeatedly in the 2nd) we should be in a good position for 2019.

Thanks for everything Goddard, glad you got to sing the song one last time.

Brown works bloody hard leading up and pushing back. He has an underrated engine.
He drags a defender with him which opens up the forward line for others. He is a very smart player. And he plays for the team, not for himself. Guys like Dea come into the seniors and play well but are found out in the big games. Brown fits right in.

Strange to think that after a year where we dont make finals and had some awful losses, that I'm more excited for 2019 than I was for 2018.

Saad, Smith and Stringer have another pre season together.
Daniher is back.
Fantasia has extended therapy focusing on the hamstrings.
Gleeson is back.
Aaron Francis, Kyle Langford, Darcy Parish, perhaps even Jayden Laverde are all first team players.
Dyson Heppell fixes his kicking and leads from the front again alongside Zach and Cale.
Hurley works on his shitty disposal and becomes a laser beam kick once more.
Truck Rutten comes on board and solidifies the last line of defence, setting structures to ensure that Saad and McKenna can run it off half back with ease.
Devon Smith actually becomes a god.
Jobe Watson's baby is a boy and they name him Tim.
The Davey twins continue to dominate U18s and pledge allegiance to the Don's.
We start the season on fire BUT dont drop off this time, remaining in the top 4 all season.
Finally win a final!
And then another.
And then the big one.
We're premiers.
Joe wins the Coleman.
Smith or Heppell wins the Brownlow.
David Myers wins the Norm Smith.
Woosha elected Prime Minister.
**** Carlton.

Keen!

Strange to think that after a year where we dont make finals and had some awful losses, that I'm more excited for 2019 than I was for 2018.

Me too. I was excited going into this year but still had big concerns about our midfield, which bore out early in the season. I don't think I'll have them going into next year.

One thing that impressed me last night was the low number of turnovers. It really amazes me how infectious poor ball use can become in a game. Obviously, implied pressure from the opposition contributes to this but we were very clean with our disposal even through congestion. It shows you just how manic Richmond’s pressure is to make us hurry our disposal and cause turnovers.

So on last night’s Ch 7 telecast Carey rated Stringer’s season C+.

He then rates Motlop the same and Watts higher at C!! **** off!
I’d give Jake a B. Met expectations and has scope for improvement.

Watts got dropped so he deserves an E.

After winning only 1 of 13 games against Port between 2001-2010 (ironically in their premiership year 2004), we have now won 8 of the last 10. The two losses were in the middle of 2015 (Hird's final year as coach and in the middle of a horrible form slump) & 2016 (with our player bans) ...

Anybody old enough like me to remember the likes of Tredrea, Dew, Cornes brothers, Wanganeen regularly tearing us apart would appreciate this turnaround.

:largeredcircle::mbcircle:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After winning only 1 of 13 games against Port between 2001-2010 (ironically in their premiership year 2004), we have now won 8 of the last 10. The two losses were in the middle of 2015 (Hird's final year as coach and in the middle of a horrible form slump) & 2016 (with our player bans) ...

Anybody old enough like me to remember the likes of Tredrea, Dew, Cornes brothers, Wanganeen regularly tearing us apart would appreciate this turnaround.

:largeredcircle::mbcircle:
Starting to build successive win streaks against a few teams we've become accustomed to dominating us recently; Port, Geelong and North namely. Of course we've struggled against some others though.

Starting to build successive win streaks against a few teams we've become accustomed to dominating us recently; Port, Geelong and North namely. Of course we've struggled against some others though.
When it comes to successive wins, Obviously in 2019 it would be great to add Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond and Sydney to that list :grinning::grinning:

Super pleasing result, if you're going to play a dead rubber then that's how you do it, go young and hand them the keys.

A performance driven by Smith, Merrett, Langford, Parish, Francis, Laverde, McKenna. And Smith is the old man of the group at 25.

Big shout-out to everyone subjected to the Carey/BT back and forth about grades. I know i am definitely dumber for having sat through it and i feel for you all as well.
Throw in Lingy as well and it was the perfect storm of stupidity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back