AFL Autopsy Rnd 23: Beaten by the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

A really good first quarter then patches for the rest of the game. Not too different from our form throughout the whole season.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they didn't smash us in the final - assuming we play them.

The coaches insistence on playing Langford outside of the forward line is mind boggling and borderline idiotic.
He’s a good kick for goal, never doubted that... but he gets pushed out of a contest too easily, McGrath as well (amongst others). That sort of footy simply won’t hold up in finals.

Surprised we weren’t smashed. Well done boys, a really good effort all things considered and I can see us actually being a chance against the Pies in 2 weeks. I thought GWS was the only team in the 8 we had a remote chance against until tonight.

Smack has the stickiest hands in the league.

Maybe someone has a differing opinion but I thought Hurley was given an absolute lesson by Mihocek until obviously Hurley went down.

Not sure what game you were watching, Hurley didn't play on Mihocek.

It’s his bread and butter..
I just like him. I have for a few years. I think he didn’t have self belief until the last 2-3 years. He’s a good kick, unbelievable grab and rarely gets beaten. Nothing super special about him but if you have 22 blokes that rarely get beaten you’re a flag chance. We probably only had about 4-5 of those blokes in our side tonight and we still gave it a shake.

Ambrose aggression up forward was very good for the team. Makes things happen. Could we go in with Smack, Brown, Ambrose, Stringer, Tippa and Fantasia with Laverde as a forward line or is it too big/clumsy/slow? Both Brown and Ambrose are strong endurance runners which could cause headaches for opposition defences.
Leaves Hooker, Hurley and Francis as key backs which works.
If Hurley is out I guess Rambrose has to play back.

Got 2 tvs setup next to each other in the lounge, rolling the poms for 67 has cancelled out the loss pretty quickly.

A 2 goal loss has a lot of positives with the goal kicking power missing. But theres also some negatives on how the pies were able to stop us after quarter time. Hopefully we can come up with a plan to negate their plan to stop us.

I think if we have to play them in the first final, the week off will benefit us more given the blokes we will hopefully get back, but they definitely looked the better team most of tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guy just doesn't know how to drop a mark. My blood pressure eases off every time he's around the ball.

Has turned into a really good player, still the odd brain fade, but without him up foreward, and Brown, we arent playing finals.

Our skills weren't great tonight. The effort was.
Use the fortnight well to please limit the games of Pendlebury and Grundy next time.
And Sidebottom...
That is all.

I assume you meant Mihocek? Saad was on Elliot.

Saad only went to Elliot after Hurley went down, I'm pretty sure. Saw Hurley one out with Elliot on a number of occasions. Just looked weird. Was a very odd night for match ups.

Not sure what game you were watching, Francis played on Mihocek
Maybe after Mihocek kicked his 3rd.
Saad only went to Elliot after Hurley went down, I'm pretty sure. Saw Hurley one out with Elliot on a number of occasions. Just looked weird.
I didn’t think that but I do find it sometimes harder to tell when I’m there (s**t seats and well on way to shitfaced). Perhaps Hurley had left his man to create a contest (as he did when he injured himself). I’m still not quite sure how it happened, his shoulder went back or something?

Half Collingwood VFL beat half Essendon.
Grundy killed us.
Umps gave them the rub.
They had a lot of shots and should have put us away earlier.
We need 22 fit blokes who can run out the game.
Frangas last two weeks poor.
The Blonde Irish Bomber was sensational.

If we can get Snelling (tag Pendles), Hepps, Raz, Stringer and Hooker fit and firing I wouldnt mind another crack.
Put Redman or Pidge on Elliott.

Jok, Hartley, Brown, Franga, Begley, Laverde and Gleeson would mix for the chopping list for FINAL 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back