Preview RND 23- Carlton v Geelong Saturday 24th August 4.35PM @ GMHBA - Team Post #242

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't know if his current level of running ability is his limit - I suspect not.
Congratulations on your feeling?

I do know that he is a good mark and kick at goal, a strong rather than a weak tackler and is plenty smart enough to give off to advantage around goals....and given current list situation it is understandable why he is one of a few battling it out for increasingly fewer on field options.
If he could get to more contests, those skills would be more useful. But he's slow, and unable to hold his ground.

I remember people pasting Brock McLean for similar reasons, but at least he set up play...

If he gets a decent pre-seaon, 2020 will show whether he is a starting player for Carlton or one of those decent depth players - which have precious little of anyway - right now it is speculation given the way he has been managed in 2017/18.
He's always been a little slow for a midfielder, and that's only been reinforced through terrible management at both GWS *and* Carlton pre-Russell. It's a moot point given he's got another year on his deal, at least AFAIK.

In this game I honestly don't have any strong preferences - except to say that Gibbons hurt his shoulder, DeLuca is a willing trier , lang insists on the 'one touch nonsense and from there it is someone else's problem' that Geelong players seem to be coached to and I haven't seen anything from Garlett or Owies to suggest that they would be better options. I agree that based on current exposed form on field his running is a weakness - especially when it comes to being able to apply repeat pressure efforts. However - i do back him to kick a goal from 40 meters out and closer- something which too many Carlton players are incapable of as demonstrated week in week out.
I think Garlett's confidence is utterly shot, so Kennedy has him beat there. Owies should be well past both of them after another pre-season.

I think you are being quick to judge.

Kennedy ran the 6th best beep at the draft combine and had the 3rd best running vertical leap as well. Athletically has something to work with. His quads look way too big and he needs to have the right running program to be an AFL footballer. I will back Russell to get him there ( at least for 1 more year) with an injury free preseaon.
You mean the beep test that was scrapped and re-worked after it was deemed unsuitable to assess modern football?

He's not failing to run out games, he's failing to run fast.

Cunners been epic when we’ve played down there. Sneaky chance?
Really hope so but been hoping the same for weeks and I am almost ready to accept they just nursing to end of season via VFL team where they can monitor his knee soreness without the worry of if he off for a quarter or more.

You mean the beep test that was scrapped and re-worked after it was deemed unsuitable to assess modern football?

He's not failing to run out games, he's failing to run fast.
I guess it was the combination of endurance (which even though the Beep test has been replaced with a similar test still measures) and power through his exceptional 91cm running vertical that gives me some confidence Russell can improve him and get him running faster. Plodders like Sidebottom and McLean would be lucky to get 60 running verticals.

Need to factor in the ankles issues Kennedy had ( Daisy finally seems to have his pace and agility back after a long time) and what looks to have been too many heavy leg days in his rehab. Shoulder issues last preseason would have prevented the full Russell effect I am hoping for.

Weiters fell in to the trap of bulking up the legs too much and lost pace and agility.

I would love to beat the cats as is my hate for them however pretty sure we’ve had our little grand final against the crows and then last week for all the supporters and last home game.Mentally might be hard to get up and cats just can’t afford to drop this.

The fact that Geelong lost by 1 point last week makes me a bit nervous about this game.

They'll come out breathing fire. We need to be on from the first bounce.

The fact that Geelong lost by 1 point last week makes me a bit nervous about this game.

Yes, we might miss out on finals

Cats and Lions taking full advantage of the home ground situation...

bit unfair....its dragging on,we need to defeat them last round.Blues defeat Geelong by 2 Goals...Weiters in,Cunno in

Lions academy and Neafl has been unbelievably good past few years..plus they had easy draw in 2019 plus Hodge hiding as captain/coach..

sneaky....

wonder if bubble will pop?

Last edited:
It's his running ability, and it's always been his running ability. Don't obfuscate.

I don't give a s**t that he can take a grab for his size if he's averaging under 2 goals a game and not applying sufficient forward pressure. Even Levi recognised he had to improve his mobility...

Get some passion Jimmae ffs

Oh please. Are we talking about the Cats? Breathing fire? Boogie woogie mate. Bunch of wimps. Cowards. They aren’t that good. Trust me. And they are most definitely not capable of breathing fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m heading down, last time I was there in 1989 or 1990 we got walloped, it was bloody windy as with players struggling to kick it 30 metres into the wind with the ball visibly going backwards in flight as the velocity of the kick dropped.

Pretty sure it was the year I made my one and only trip to the western oval and didn’t see us kick our only goal for the day.

Anyway, another Carlton mate is also joining and Geelong mate is driving....lots of time for some travellers...I’ll be raucous if we do get up!!
I was there was '96 last round, beat them by about 5 goals, Braddles ran all day, I think J Murphy kicked a few from memory. Took the train with a few hundred other die hards and stood on the outer and gave 'em hell. Good times, had to walk straight back to the station, safety in numbers, then train, door open, sun setting on You Yang's singing the theme song. Good times.

Do it again baggers, stick it up 'em!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was there was '96 last round, beat them by about 5 goals, Braddles ran all day, I think J Murphy kicked a few from memory. Took the train with a few hundred other die hards and stood on the outer and gave 'em hell. Good times, had to walk straight back to the station, safety in numbers, then train, door open, sun setting on You Yang's singing the theme song. Good times.

Do it again baggers, stick it up 'em!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was there too. Good times indeed. Standing room in the outer. Never felt threatened though even whilst supporting loudly and strongly. I have a positive win/loss record for my attendances at the ground. Thought there were a few Blues supporters there that day. Good luck to anyone attending this week. Everything to gain from winning this one.

Lang was unlucky that MMcG took the advantage on his free at the top of the square. Would have given him 2 goals for the game and made his game look better on paper. The reality was that goal was created by his great tackle on a big body. Thought he had a good game.
That three tackle repeat effort was excellent on the wing / 50 too.

Last game of the year, playing a top 4 side, you would have to think that potential recruits who are undecided would be watching this one to see if we're going to be much good next season...

We have played Richmond and West Coast and got within 5 goals which I see as a win. Geelong aren't quite that good. Expecting to win narrowly or go down by 3 or 4 goals here.

Selection is tough with some ringins playing well, in fact everyone playing well against a St Kilda side which played some of their best footy.

B: Plowman Casboult Newman
HB: Simpson Weitering Thomas
C: Walsh Cripps O'Brien
HF: Deluca McKay Dow
F: Kennedy McGovern Silvagni
OB: Kreuzer Curnow Murphy
IC: SPS Gibbons Kennedy Lang/Fisher

Probably go in something like that. Just nice to see some fringe players standing up a bit last week.

Would be a massive game to win and I think we are every chance but it's going to take a big effort.

Carltons last month (in reverse order saints, rich, west coast, Adelaide, WLLW)
Contested ball +4 +17 +17 +22
Uncontested ball +7 -32 -18 +20
Turnovers -11 -6 -9 -12
Marks +22 -3 -10 +26
Contested marks +10 +3 -8 +4
Intercepts +11 +6 -9 -12
Tackles +9 -9 +1 -16
One percenters -6 -16 +7 +5
Clearances -12 -1 +12 +23
Inside 50s +4 -16 -2 0

Geelongs last month (Brisbane, North, freo, Sydney, LWLW)
Contested ball -9 +24 -12 +29
Uncontested ball -31 +25 -35 +2
Turnovers +1 +3 +2 -12
Marks -38 +23 -13 +26
Contested marks -4 -2 +2+13
Intercepts -2 -3 -2 -7
Tackles +1 0 -15 -12
One percenters -10 +19 -13 +16
Clearances 0 +20 +4 +18
Inside 50s 0 +28 -15 +3

When they win they win the clearances and contested/uncontested ball. But when they lose they give up marks uncontested and contested ball. We are very good at marks. Contested and uncontested. We aren’t very good at the uncontested ball. Being in Geelong this ground is often very contested and they like to give up the boundary and force you to kick to a contest. Considering our marking prowess we match up quite well at GMHBA stadium.

Last year we lost by 28 points with 5.15 to 11.7

Possible team changes from last year:
Carlton
Out: lamb, Curnow, Wright, Kerridge, cuningham, Kerr, Jones, Rowe, O’Shea
In: Gibbons, Casboult, McGovern, Walsh, Newman, Murphy, Silvagni, setterfield, Kennedy

Geelong
Out: Crameri, Gregson, Murdoch, cunico, Jones, black, Menegola
In: Dahlhaus, Atkins, O’Connor, Narkle, Miers Taylor Henderson

Also Geelong kicked the first 5 goals of the game and the last 3. That’s 8 out of their total due to poor starts which we sort of still have and our lack of fitness which we don’t have anymore. I’d say we will get them on the outside just like Brisbane did.

6 rushed behinds suggest issues connecting forward which we’ve fixed. We beat them up 51-47 inside 50s but they have 8 inside 50 marks while we resorted to rushed shots at goal. SPS missed 3 times. Kerr and McKay without only 2 inside 50 marks. They missed 3 times between them. Dow missed twice.

Having an improved forward 50 set up with tall markers and better crumbing smalls we should get much closer and be more accurate. Not a lot has to improve and we win. But we have heaps of improvement on last game.

Last edited:
Even if we get flogged, this year has been a success. And I'm comfortable thinking that the Cats won't put up any sort of a fight come September. Could be a real chance of straight sets.

Doesn't matter what they do, we just need the right mentality (or the mentality that we have shown since Teague took over)

I cant see us taking the foot off the pedal, reckon its been instilled that these last games are the springboard into the pre-season and next year and there is no acceptance of anything less than 100% effort and attitude. Doesn't mean they will win, but means we will play 4 qtrs

Carltons last month (in reverse order saints, rich, west coast, Adelaide, WLLW)
Contested ball +4 +17 +17 +22
Uncontested ball +7 -32 -18 +20
Turnovers -11 -6 -9 -12
Marks +22 -3 -10 +26
Contested marks +10 +3 -8 +4
Intercepts +11 +6 -9 -12
Tackles +9 -9 +1 -16
One percenters -6 -16 +7 +5
Clearances -12 -1 +12 +23
Inside 50s +4 -16 -2 0

Geelongs last month (Brisbane, North, freo, Sydney, LWLW)
Contested ball -9 +24 -12 +29
Uncontested ball -31 +25 -35 +2
Turnovers +1 +3 +2 -12
Marks -38 +23 -13 +26
Contested marks -4 -2 +2+13
Intercepts -2 -3 -2 -7
Tackles +1 0 -15 -12
One percenters -10 +19 -13 +16
Clearances 0 +20 +4 +18
Inside 50s 0 +28 -15 +3

When they win they win the clearances and contested/uncontested ball. But when they lose they give up marks uncontested and contested ball. We are very good at marks. Contested and uncontested. We aren’t very good at the uncontested ball. Being in Geelong this ground is often very contested and they like to give up the boundary and force you to kick to a contest. Considering our marking prowess we match up quite well at GMHBA stadium.

Last year we lost by 28 points with 5.15 to 11.7

Possible team changes from last year:
Carlton
Out: lamb, Curnow, Wright, Kerridge, cuningham, Kerr, Jones, Rowe, O’Shea
In: Gibbons, Casboult, McGovern, Walsh, Newman, Murphy, Silvagni, setterfield, Kennedy

Geelong
Out: Crameri, Gregson, Murdoch, cunico, Jones, black, Menegola
In: Dahlhaus, Atkins, O’Connor, Narkle, Miers Taylor Henderson

Also Geelong kicked the first 5 goals of the game and the last 3. That’s 8 out of their total due to poor starts which we sort of still have and our lack of fitness which we don’t have anymore. I’d say we will get them on the outside just like Brisbane did.

6 rushed behinds suggest issues connecting forward which we’ve fixed. We beat them up 51-47 inside 50s but they have 8 inside 50 marks while we resorted to rushed shots at goal. SPS missed 3 times. Kerr and McKay without only 2 inside 50 marks. They missed 3 times between them. Dow missed twice.

Having an improved forward 50 set up with tall markers and better crumbing smalls we should get much closer and be more accurate. Not a lot has to improve and we win. But we have heaps of improvement on last game.

Great post Red_man2008 - thanks for the effort.

Was a good effort though, only thing that annoyed me about that play was there was no-one there to help him, even after the 3rd tackle. Not sure what the others were doing, maybe smoko
Doesn't make up for only having 5 effective disposals, missing yet another straight forward shot at goal, kicking the ball out on the full on the wing after taking a mark and being slow as treacle in his decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back