Preview RND 23- Carlton v Geelong Saturday 24th August 4.35PM @ GMHBA - Team Post #242

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They win they most likely play Tigers at the G, lose and they play Brisbane. I reckon they will fancy their chances against Brisbane more. Could well work in our favour

Our game is the first of the weekend featuring any of those top 4 sides, so I doubt Geelong will be considering anything other than a win. Might be different if it was the last game of the round and they knew where they'd end up depending on the result. As it is, you've got Richmond and Brisbane playing eachother, and WC up against an in-form Hawthorn. Those results could go any way, and Geelong could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th, and playing any of Brisbane, WC, Richmond or Collingwood in the first round of finals.

Our game is the first of the weekend featuring any of those top 4 sides, so I doubt Geelong will be considering anything other than a win. Might be different if it was the last game of the round and they knew where they'd end up depending on the result. As it is, you've got Richmond and Brisbane playing eachother, and WC up against an in-form Hawthorn. Those results could go any way, and Geelong could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th, and playing any of Brisbane, WC, Richmond or Collingwood in the first round of finals.

Would have been better for us if Geelong beat Brisbane...they would have had top spot locked up.

Having said that, a good test in our last game of the season against a Geelong we know will be going 100%.

Would have been better for us if Geelong beat Brisbane...they would have had top spot locked up.

Having said that, a good test in our last game of the season against a Geelong we know will be going 100%.

Yep - would rather face a side going at 100% and lose than coast to an easy win. I think we've done everything we need to in order to convince opposition players we've turned the corner, and a firm reality check that there's still more improvement to be made would be beneficial to the existing players. No waltzing into preseason thinking it's all just gonna happen.

Yep - would rather face a side going at 100% and lose than coast to an easy win. I think we've done everything we need to in order to convince opposition players we've turned the corner, and a firm reality check that there's still more improvement to be made would be beneficial to the existing players. No waltzing into preseason thinking it's all just gonna happen.

It does sound though like things are still up in the air a little, with b70 saying we haven't heard from Cogs and Martin isn't a lock...a good showing here, and especially a win could be the thing to seal the deal basically...especially since Geelong have so much on the line.

unbearable while they are watching their side in the finals and carlton are on their holidays? I could handle that if im a cats supporter

Was at the North game down here with a Geelong supporting mate.

Could not believe how quiet and insipid their fans were for a home game when they were doing it easy.

They love putting the boots into Carlton, so * em.

Rubbish fans.

Lol time to let it go man that was years ago...

And don't think Hendo deserves too much criticism we were a joke under Malthouse and going nowhere, and Tuohy was basically pushed out he didn't want to leave.

I have more inside knowledge of Tuohys character than most.

Not a fan of FIGJAMs.

Don’t understand why you would bring cunners in for 1 game that means nothing to us.
All that can happen is he hurts his knee again. Let him get it right for round 1.
I’d rather bring stocker in & let him get used to playing top teams with good midfields.

The game doesn't mean nothing to us.

We have momentum and a great opportunity to knock off a top 2 side on their home deck.

A win would be huge for the club, the players and the fans, and would give us a great platform from which to launch into the preseason and into 2020. Ending the year on a high may also pique the interest of prospective recruits.

If Cuningham is fit to play and ready to go, you get him in. Maybe he hurts himself again but that can happen at VFL level also. Hurting himself is not "all that can happen"; he may also add a further dynamic option for us up forward, and who knows, maybe, just maybe, contribute to a win.

He and Stocker aren't competing for a spot either. Clearly there is room for both if we want to go down that path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely think that Kennedy has the best hands at Carlton behind Cripps. His ability to use the ball cleanly inside 50 has been awesome but he certainly needs a pre season. No way I'd be dropping him, he's too creative around goal.
I agree. Early in the game v the Saints he looked dangerous. Clean hands, good decision making, good overhead, seemingly a pretty good kick and a really good set shot. Didn't get a lot of it after quarter time and needs the pre season as you say, but I'm very bullish on him next year. Whether that's forward or mid or a mix, he's gonna be a good player. Keep him in this week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I genuinely think that Kennedy has the best hands at Carlton behind Cripps. His ability to use the ball cleanly inside 50 has been awesome but he certainly needs a pre season. No way I'd be dropping him, he's too creative around goal.

He either kicked or was very involved in our first 4 goals - but obviously not 100% fit so his impact declines as game goes on... Crucial pre-season too much potential value to the side to waste.

The game doesn't mean nothing to us.

We have momentum and a great opportunity to knock off a top 2 side on their home deck.

A win would be huge for the club, the players and the fans, and would give us a great platform from which to launch into the preseason and into 2020. Ending the year on a high may also pique the interest of prospective recruits.

If Cuningham is fit to play and ready to go, you get him in. Maybe he hurts himself again but that can happen at VFL level also. Hurting himself is not "all that can happen"; he may also add a further dynamic option for us up forward, and who knows, maybe, just maybe, contribute to a win.

He and Stocker aren't competing for a spot either. Clearly there is room for both if we want to go down that path.
100% agree with this J. If he is fit, play him.. We want our best squad out there.
A win over the cats has so many positive consequences.
We will definitely crack 70,000 members next year.

Cats preview thread:

"Afl website game preview suggests sending guthrie to cripps. God help us if that happens. Might only get 40 touches and 30 clearances."

We'll try our best, as long as you can promise to do the same to ensure we don't see Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon win the flag...
Would be great to see you guys beat Geelong this week. Would lock in a home final for us in the 1st week. Would love to play Richmond up at the Gabba. Amazing to think that Carlton is the last team to beat us 9 weeks ago. You gave us a real good reality check that day! Go Blues for Saturday! Good luck.

I doubt either of them will be playing. Geelong fans hating them both at the moment.

SOS with the right call to trade Tuohy, even if some of us didn't like it at the time...he sees the big picture. He and Hendo look cooked and are on the fringe of the Geelong team, they wouldn't have been part of our rise up the ladder.

We have McKay & Marchbank from the Tuohy & Hendo trades...amazing work by SOS.

I agree. Early in the game v the Saints he looked dangerous. Clean hands, good decision making, good overhead, seemingly a pretty good kick and a really good set shot. Didn't get a lot of it after quarter time and needs the pre season as you say, but I'm very bullish on him next year. Whether that's forward or mid or a mix, he's gonna be a good player. Keep him in this week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't wait for him to get a pre-season and maybe spend a little more time in the middle.

Start of Saints game took a good mark and nice accurate goal, then a clean pick up and fantastic left handed handball to JSOS while under pressure to set up his goal. He's a clean player and can be a little like JSOS, medium tall who can play a bit in the middle, relatively clean, good kick for goal etc.

Would be great to see you guys beat Geelong this week. Would lock in a home final for us in the 1st week. Would love to play Richmond up at the Gabba. Amazing to think that Carlton is the last team to beat us 9 weeks ago. You gave us a real good reality check that day! Go Blues for Saturday! Good luck.
from memory, our belting of you in round 8 2000 apparently set you in motion for your 2001-2003 premiership run. Hope we haven't done something similar this time as well.

from memory, our belting of you in round 8 2000 apparently set you in motion for your 2001-2003 premiership run. Hope we haven't done something similar this time as well.
Don't know about a 3 peat this time around. But if we were playing Richmond in the Grand Final this year, I would guess that you would rather see us beat the Tigers?

SOS with the right call to trade Tuohy, even if some of us didn't like it at the time...he sees the big picture. He and Hendo look cooked and are on the fringe of the Geelong team, they wouldn't have been part of our rise up the ladder.

We have McKay & Marchbank from the Tuohy & Hendo trades...amazing work by SOS.

I know this will come across as hindsight. But losing Tuohy never really bothered me, wasn't a fan of how Hendo left and thought he was a better player than he turned out to be.

Tuohy to me really lacked polish out of the backline when he played for us, to much hack it and hope for me. But to be fair this did improve significantly for a period with the Cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back