Autopsy Rnd 23 - The nightmare is over. Bring on trades & draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton list in 2018:

- Talented
- Experienced
- Fit to play.

Pick any 2 (or sometimes due to necessity even just 1.)

That's why we struggled so much .. even against other 'rebuilding' sides who had a core of 5-8 talented and experienced players out there each week.

2016-17 were at or above expectations.

2018 has been horrendous, with mitigating circumstances. A coach doesn't survive two of these sorts of years in a row.

I agree with that. Regardless of Bolt's contract status he won't survive another year like this or even marginally better.

I don't like putting pass marks on how many games won ... but I suspect if its not at least 6 to 8 games and zero 100 point plus defeats,
he won't see 2020 or even see out 2019.

The obvious bottom line is that we must see a much more competitive on field unit for so many reasons.

Really is that simple but most people still don't see it. Cohesion is a massive issue
It is simple.
Another thing that is hard to measure but also simple, is the confidence that comes from that cohesion. Players develop confidence when they see the benefits of knowing teammates games and more predictable approach to challenges.
With so much flux every week this confidence can't build.
Confidence is an extremely important part of playing well and this year we have had no opportunity for this to blossom.

I like the way that some players have been primed for roles in a cohesive team even in a season of absolute lack of continuity. Lamb for one...Polson perhaps. Rather than just playing for this week its been about the longer term. I am sure that at times the coaches knew very well it would hurt on the day but pay back in times to come. Remember a rebuild is not just about talent but also forming a team. Getting the pieces in place. And having soldiers that come in when one goes down and do the same job. SOS and Lloyd will have the job in time of dealing with players that cant get a game. Thats the depth we are heading for.

I agree that it can all fall into a heap but I think your details are a bit off regarding the players you mentioned. I'm also more bullish on McKay than I am Curnow, for whatever reason.
Morton looked a gun early if he could've sorted out his weaknesses, much like all of our kids. In his first year he picked up over 20 touches in 7 of his last 9 games. He was way ahead of Dow, LOB, SPS ect and ramped it up the next season.
Grimes and Trengrove looked like stars of the future. Both racking up really good numbers early in their careers, great attitudes, leaders, everyone expected them to become A graders

Think Dow will be a good player but how is he not handy at best at the moment?

Wasn’t like he was racking up 20 a game every week.

Was quiet early in the season, then started to get more involved as the year went on. Great at applying pressure in the midfield and moving through traffic, however he faded in and out of games.

Will only get better next season.
This is his first year yeah.
How many first year mids rack up 20 consistently ?

Morton looked a gun early if he could've sorted out his weaknesses, much like all of our kids. In his first year he picked up over 20 touches in 7 of his last 9 games. He was way ahead of Dow, LOB, SPS ect and ramped it up the next season.
Grimes and Trengrove looked like stars of the future. Both racking up really good numbers early in their careers, great attitudes, leaders, everyone expected them to become A graders
I can't say much for the others but Trengrove always had his limitations, good at what he did but probably not a world beater. I can't give you details because that's not my strong point but I remember thinking he was a good get at pick 22 rather than being rabidly jealous that we couldn't pick him up, which is usually my default reaction. ;)

I can't say much for the others but Trengrove always had his limitations, good at what he did but probably not a world beater. I can't give you details because that's not my strong point but I remember thinking he was a good get at pick 22 rather than being rabidly jealous that we couldn't pick him up, which is usually my default reaction. ;)

Wrong Trengove

What has that got to do with my post?

The other poster was talking about Dow being handy at best as an AFL midfielder. Compared to other AFL midfielders that’s true.

He’s tracking just fine as a first year player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way that some players have been primed for roles in a cohesive team even in a season of absolute lack of continuity. Lamb for one...Polson perhaps. Rather than just playing for this week its been about the longer term. I am sure that at times the coaches knew very well it would hurt on the day but pay back in times to come. Remember a rebuild is not just about talent but also forming a team. Getting the pieces in place. And having soldiers that come in when one goes down and do the same job. SOS and Lloyd will have the job in time of dealing with players that cant get a game. Thats the depth we are heading for.

Agree . Training within a game. We look good at times moving the ball. Reduce the mistakes and more consistent game play. We will slowly rise next year. Catch butterfly with open palm .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harsh. Been injured, missed a lot of football and still very young. Has a lot to prove but wouldn't write him off yet.
It may be harsh, but I feel like we need to be ruthless with list management. Unfortunately, like a few others, the recruitment of Garlett hasn't worked out. Showed very little when given the chance this season. No doubt he's got the skill, but I don't think he has the drive. For all his faults, Polson could teach Garlett a thing or two about forward pressure.

How many first year players … play 20 games in their first year and survive???

Ed Curnow's been a ghost for the last 10 or so weeks
Ed really fell away in the 2nd half of the season. I don't know if he has been carrying an injury or what has been at play, but he seemed to struggle to one-grab possessions & although his kicking has generally been inconsistent, he really butchered the ball a lot more than what has been the case over the last 2-3 seasons.

Hopefully he will be back up & about come Round 1 next year & can put the second half of this season behind him.

Wrong Trengove
Could be, too, I wasn't sure what he was getting at. :oops: My point being, however, that you can't always judge by early form alone. As for me, I thought that Riewoldt and Koschitzke were going to propel the Saints into greatness and thought the Bulldogs would win two or three on the trot after 2016. Things can change pretty quickly.

That just makes me laugh, sorry. I dont think SOS being around has any effect but if anything it would make him walk tall and bouyant. But I think he will be fine and his own man. I remember young Stephen taking time to click. He was handy as a youth. It was the second half of his career when he went up to champion status.
Everyones pychology is different.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back