AFL Toast Rnd 3: 18 point win against the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring was shocking both ways.

They picked out plenty of very soft technically there but gee, than they missed some obvious ones, again both sides, Tippa being caught. Fantasia in the 4th or 3rd, caught someone absolutely cold, both not paid.

Thats the worst part though, Frost gets pinged for holding when he doesnt hold, then Stringer catches him dead to rights holding the ball in the last quarter and they dont pay it. There was one when Hurley ran straight at Melksham in the pocket and didnt look at the ball once, nothing. But Neal Bullen gets a holding free against Saad for having an arm rested on him. Atleast if they pay none, its consistent

Which one was that? I know the Frost one Mckernan was holding his jumper and it went against Frost haha. Straight up guess by the umpire.

Jake got bumped by Hibberd going for that pack mark close to goal. Paid a shepherd.

Stringer flung the arms out. Idiot umpire gets sucked in and can’t put the whistle any quicker to his lips.

‘‘Twas a soft as butter decision.

Which one was that? I know the Frost one Mckernan was holding his jumper and it went against Frost haha. Straight up guess by the umpire.
I think it was the 1st quarter, Stringer kicked a goal from 50m. You got a square up just free a few minutes later for a goal. Neither needed or should have been paid.

Jake got bumped by Hibberd going for that pack mark close to goal. Paid a shepherd.

Stringer flung the arms out. Idiot umpire gets sucked in and can’t put the whistle any quicker to his lips.

‘‘Twas a soft as butter decision.

Yeah I remember it now, that one was shithouse lol.
I think it was the 1st quarter, Stringer kicked a goal from 50m. You got a square up just free a few minutes later for a goal. Neither needed or should have been paid.

Your thinking of when Jetta got done for holding...

Anyway... s**t happens.

Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy, Rayner, Witherden, Neale, Berry, Lyons, McCarthy, Zorko and the Suitcase (McCluggage) I'd say are quick.

Could be another shootout and exciting to watch though!
Neale, Berry, Lyons and Clug are all slow. You've listed McCarthy twice.

Also, Lyons? Being slow is just about his biggest flaw!

Loving all the opposition supporters saying that we're scum and the umpires are in our pockets.

Clearly didn't watch the game too closely! We had some dubious calls our way but bugger me there were some howlers against us too
We cop the raw end of the umpiring most times so I care less, especially since it didn't affect the result.

Yeah the could have paid 20 less free kicks for little insignificant s**t and no one would have cared.

Frost got pinged for holding Mckernan in the square when he literally didnt hold him for a second, then another time we got a free out of the square and from the kick a holding free deep for barely an arm even touching.

Just let them win the contests on their merits for **** sake.

I think that is what pisses everyone off. We have this rule change in to force more 1 on 1 contests yet it's the umpires stepping in to influence the result with the other technical rules that exist on our game.

I don't necessarily blame the umpires because they have been told to pay frees for "holds" if the arm is around the waist at all.
But often it's just two guys in a strength contest feeling around while looking at a high ball.

I think tonight there was too many free kicks but the number of "bad" decisions in every game this year has been much higher.

Stringer and Saad worth so much more to us than we paid for them
Heppell finally played a captains game, that was Jobe like

Clarke out / Draper in
Mutch out

Can we fit Begley and Hooker in? Who else comes out..
Wait, *, you seriously don't think he has ever done that before?!!

Wayne Carey should never commentate another game. He wasn't even calling the game, he was just barracking over a microphone. Kept calling Essendon free kicks soft and whinging about bad bounces when they went Essendon's way. Almost as bad as Gary Lyon calling our games. Funny thing is both are s**t blokes and root their mate's Mrs'.
Yes, their object no agency "Mrs" who are the property of their first husbands!!🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake gentlemen...the only win tonight was a win in finally getting back the relentless grind that’s required to beat a half decent opposition side.

There were good signs.

It was that Geelong game from last year all over again. The aggressive response we were all demanding happened right from the start thank ####.

Dees played pretty good football tonight. Us and them like to play on with a handpass and move it at high speed.

Hence why both teams were completely exhausted by halftime and the second half became a war of attrition.

Anyway...regardless of Melb’s ordinary backline, we banged on a load of goals that all came from hard work up the ground with great attack on the ball etc etc.

Couple of positives worth mentioning...

The kind of captains game Leongatha boy needed to pull out. Good stuff.

Francis is a genuine hard nut. Shows great courage. Will just get better and better.

Saad played his best EFC game tonight. He is a very smart and fast workhorse. He’s a great recruit.

Smith leads and sets the tone for this team now. He’s a little gut running machine and is always in the play. He’s a great recruit.

Stringer is way fitter than this time last year and that’s helping his 4 qrt efforts. He’s a great recruit.

Parish is a real worker. Genuine gutsy young player. I’d have that over Myers lumbering around at the tail end of an injury effected, mediocre career.

And the whole team played well blah blah ...except for a few glaring problems that are still quite evident.

Such as...

Clarke is so far off having any semblance of pro AFL skills it’s just not funny. He’s an absolute shocker and way out of his shallow depth.

Shiel really worries me with his distinct lack of hardness with head over ball. Watch him closely and he crumbles under pressure getting held and jostled in packs. Even faked a body sling at one stage in the guts, flinging himself back when he should’ve kept going at the ball.
Another things that’s giving me the mild shits is how he likes to dish off a handpass ar lot of the time when he is challenged or charged at with ball in hand. He doesn’t like to take a hit. But apart from that he went alright tonight.

Bellchambers actually laid a hard tackle in the backline at one stage! Cant remember the last time I saw him lay a good tackle.
But apart from that miraculous moment...he was incredibly underwhelming once again. Take a mark around the ground ffs Tom.

The form tonight means nothing if they don’t bring the intensity next week against a rampaging, attacking Lions side.

But after watching the two of the worst Essendon games in 40 years, tonight’s win was fun to watch footy again.
No Shiel no win. Ffs

I think its a bit more complex than that but its the bombers board so I wont bore ya with the details.
If yall had Lever or May, I don't think we win that.
But we are a confidence team and we really needed that, so I'll take it. I still reckon dees will make finals once the defence is sorted out

If yall had Lever or May, I don't think we win that.
But we are a confidence team and we really needed that, so I'll take it. I still reckon dees will make finals once the defence is sorted out

Nah don't think it would be that simple. All 4 of our keys at either end are badly out of form. Daniher Stewart or Hooker didn't play for you either an Hurley doesn't look in great touch.

Excuse me for the Intrusion! Great win guys - but i have to ask about Bellchambers - only saw it on the TV but soo many times it semed he couldn't be bothered even contesting - is he injured or is that just "him" - at least Clarke tried to counter in the ruck?

Excuse me for the Intrusion! Great win guys - but i have to ask about Bellchambers - only saw it on the TV but soo many times it semed he couldn't be bothered even contesting - is he injured or is that just "him" - at least Clarke tried to counter in the ruck?

The truth is TBellumbus is an aging, lumbering piece of deadwood struggling to keep up.

So yeah..it’s just him.

Melbourne kicked 18.4 tonight. Ridiculously accurate. We were 20.10 which is pretty decent as well. So 22 scoring shots to 30.

It was very weird umpiring all game. No one in our thread could make head or tail of it, and the commentary didn't seem to know which way was up either. The interpretations seem inconsistent and out of sync with common sense.
Common sense and umpires should not be used in the same sentence thus far, 2 and a bit rounds in and they've affected results and ****ed games in general.

The truth is TBellumbus is an aging, lumbering piece of deadwood struggling to keep up.

So yeah..it’s just him.
"Tbellumbus" is moves slower than Treebeard from LOTR these days.

Edit; He did appear to give a lot more effort this week though which he needs to as a minimum for the rest of the season.

Even a big guy chasing slowly sends a message to his teammates and is actual leadership.

**** me the commentators are more annoying than the inconsistant umpiring

"Ït's almost like the Dees have worked out there season is on the line"

FFS, it's round 3

The same commentators that towards half time reported Francis as needing a double amputation as Smith ducked into the rooms for a quick heart transplant?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back