Preview Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM - Team post #483

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we don't meet in the the finals I'll be a happy camper....but that's starting to become a real possibility I think :(

Come on. You have to go for the win.
There'd be no better feeling for a Collingwood supporter than for Collingwood to beat Carlton in a big one.
Worth the risk, I'd say.

I wrote this for the roar last year about the Carlton V Collingwood rivalry, updated slightly

Great AFL rivalries: Collingwood vs Carlton

Originally Published August 6,2011 – http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/04/06/great-afl-rivalries-collingwood-v-carlton/

The next few weeks feature quite a few big matches with history behind them in the AFL. This week is of course the Collingwood v Carlton on Friday night.

More than 80,000 people will pack in to the MCG for this clash of the league’s titans. It will be live all over Australia, including live into regional NSW and Queensland on 7mate.

It’s quite likely the biggest rivalry in all of Australian sport – at times ferocious, and tribal at its very core. Looking back, Carlton were traditionally portrayed as upper class and arrogant, while Collingwood were more of a working class entity – a feeling which still exists in some quarters today.

Even in an era where professionalism has largely replaced emotion at the club level, fans and officials alike still maintain a cordial dislike for each other. Any self-respecting football forum this week will be full of insults going one way or the other.

Carlton, founded in 1864, were one of the pillars of the VFA by the time Collingwood were created in 1891. Both clubs entered the VFL when it was created in 1896.

Carlton were the first club to win three premierships in a row, but this feat would be equalled and then surpassed by their greatest rivals in the late 1930s. Carlton, however, remain equal top of the premiership table with Essendon, just one premiership clear of the Magpies.

Some of history’s great VFL Grand Finals featured these clubs, with six meetings in Grand Finals and 22 in finals, and almost any follower of the sport will automatically point to the 1970 Grand Final, regardless of what team they support.

On that day, 121,000 people crammed into the MCG – still a record for the greatest football attendance in Australia – to see the Blues triumph despite being down by 44 points, in itself the second-biggest comeback in the history of the sport.

This would be followed up by the 1979 Grand Final where many Collingwood supporters believe they were robbed by the heroics of Wayne Harmes and contend that the ball was out of bounds before being slapped back to the goal square.

With this in mind, the Blues again triumphed as they did again in the 1981 Grand Final. Since 1981, the two teams have not met in a Grand Final, and have not played a final against each other since 1988.

The begining of the rivalry is believed to be the 1910 Grand Final, where more than thirty players and officals were involved in an all-in brawl. Four players were suspended for at least a year as a result, although Collingwood had one of its players reprieved.

These days, this is one of the AFL’s showpiece matches, and along with Essendon, the two clubs form a triumvirate of high-drawing match-ups that few other clubs can match for ferocity.

On Friday night, we get to see this drama unfold for the 243rd time. On form, one would suggest that the Pies would win, but history shows that when these sides are involved the underdog can rise from nowhere and steal the victory.

Carlton:
Premierships: 16 – 1 AFL, 15 VFL
Brownlows: 5 – Bert Deacon (1947), John James (1961), Gordon Collis (1964), Greg Williams (1994), Chris Judd (2010)
Norm Smiths: 4 – Wayne Harmes (1979), Bruce Doull (1981), David Rhy-Jones (1987), Greg Williams (1995)

Collingwood:
Premierships: 15 – 2 AFL, 13 VFL
Brownlows: 8 – Syd Coventry (1927), Albert Collier (1929), Harry Collier (1930), Marcus Whelan (1939), Des Fothergill (1940), Len Thompson (1972), Peter Moore (1979), Nathan Buckley (2003)
Norm Smith: 3 – Tony Shaw (1990), Nathan Buckley (2002), Scott Pendlebury (2010)

Crowds: (last 4 years)
2011 - 88,181 and 85,936
2010 – 80,645 and 76,980
2009 – 84,938 and 82,834
2008 – 80,310 and 77,873

This week
Where and when: 7:50pm, Friday 13thof April, Melbourne Cricket Ground
Head to head: Carlton 123 wins, Collingwood 115 wins, four draws

Yes, players will be rested, but coaches will already have their ideal team in mind.
In the same way we lay-out a best 22, I'd imagine the coaches also have an ideal set-up framed and would work towards that.
Form and injury will play a large part in matters, but if Ratten was allowed to map out the team he'd like to see hit the finals right now, he'd be able to.

Totally,
this is what I think they are doing - so from now until finals, excluding big games, we will see rotations - best players wont be automatically included. we have to be able to beat teams without our stars - thats the fundamental rule of winning a flag.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Walker is being rested rather than simply injured.

Watched jammo play almost three weeks ago and he was TOTALLY fine.

Totally,
this is what I think they are doing - so from now until finals, excluding big games, we will see rotations - best players wont be automatically included. we have to be able to beat teams without our stars - thats the fundamental rule of winning a flag.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Walker is being rested rather than simply injured.

Think you may be closer to being right than wrong.
This time last year, Walker would have been included for this match and Jamison would have played last week, without a doubt.

Yes, Walker was close enough, but we're just giving him another week just to be sure. It has nothing to do with his fitness.
It may put some of us on edge at times, but I applaud the faith Ratten has in all his players and not just a select few. :thumbsu:

"Murphy's just reaching that stage".

:rolleyes:

Blair and Clarke are B graders. :eek:

Where's Yarran? :cool:

Murphy is just reaching the stage of just being recognized as an A Grader.
Yarran is probably a B- while Clarke was B back when he was playing with us years ago but now until he proves himself again he's C. Blair is probably on the verge of B, C+ possibly. Wellingham also a C+, he can show good signs at times but bad at others. And i'm not sure why Sinclair is on it, he's D at the moment.

Ball is A grade at What he does.

Havent been impressing me so far this year... and the fact that you seem to be re-signing all your stars... I would hate to be your accounts if someone requests a review of your books :D

I could do with the filth getting a good fisting like the AFL handed out to us 10 years ago!

Game day... finally we start paying the filth back for 9 of the last 12 games against them...

We have been getting closer and last year, both games, we didnt have a full team against them and pushed them. Today... we finally field our best team and we should kick their arse

We need to show respect for our arch rivals, but love the fact that you couldnt hold back :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game has to open up tonight.

If the blues get sucked into the same old Collingwood press, zoning crap we are in deep s**t.

If on the other hand the blues keep doing what they have been doing, and implement the running torp from the back line, with Hendo, Bower, Yarran breaking through and streaming, carrying the ball and as I said running torp style footy to break the zones we are in with a shot.

This is all about confidence this game.

If blues can play their normal footy this year - we could smash pies by 4 or 5 goals. if we get locked down and conform to their plan I reckon we will lose....

Judd, Murphy, Garlett are all MUST contribute on the scoreboard pressure - and Waite needs to keep his s**t together.

Murphy is just reaching the stage of just being recognized as an A Grader.
Murphy has been playing at an A grade level for three years. AA squad in 2009. His 2010 pre-season was ruined by surgery, so he lacked the conditioning that year.

The little matter of Murphy winning the AFLCA POTY and John Nicholls Medal from one C.Judd should have been enough for Parkin.

I'd have Shaw and Wellingham in the B grade category ahead of Blair and Clarke.

Win or lose tonight, what is very interesting is that now many of the outsiders finally realise that we have a much better list than the Pies. I knew that a while back, but it's good to see them catchup. They won't admit it, but I suspect many Pies supporters know this as well. This is why we've seen some almost fearful posts from them. Anway, the Pies can still easily win this game, because they've shown themselves to be very solid H&A performers in the past. But I'm more interested in the end of the season stuff i.e. finals. We've now assembled the talent to bring home number 17, regardless of tonights result. And that's what's really exciting. Tonight is mostly about getting some underdone players back into the side i.e. Jamo and Duigan. They'll be much better for the run. Our real test will be against the Hawks and Cats. Both those teams have higher grade list talent than the Pies especially through the middle. Those are the games that really interest me. Tonight - Blues by 42 to 81 points.

:)

Murphy has been playing at an A grade level for three years. AA squad in 2009. His 2010 pre-season was ruined by surgery, so he lacked the conditioning that year.

The little matter of Murphy winning the AFLCA POTY and John Nicholls Medal from one C.Judd should have been enough for Parkin.

I'd have Shaw and Wellingham in the B grade category ahead of Blair and Clarke.

This. I still reckon Murph is underrated and as good as pendles is he is probably overrated if people think he has been elite for 3 years, and murphy for 1. Their career stats are virtually identical, people just recognized his eliteness because he played for a more successful team.

Anyone else think we might see Tuohy in the forward half this week? He was kicking at goals with the rest of the forwards in the warm up yesterday and there may not be room for him in the back half this week. .. Plus someone has to fill Thornton's role and it is either him or Lucas. ..

FB: Duigan :: Jamison :: Bower
HB: Laidler :: Henderson :: Yarran

Ce: Carrazzo :: Gibbs :: Simpson

HF: Tuohy :: Waite :: Garlett
FF: Betts :: Hampson ::Robinson

Ru: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy

Be: Lucas, Armfield, Curnow, Scotland

I always read nothing into where players are positioned on the team sheets but I think Jamison will spend time forward and back and maybe even Henderson will be swung around at both ends.

Anyone else think we might see Tuohy in the forward half this week? He was kicking at goals with the rest of the forwards in the warm up yesterday and there may not be room for him in the back half this week. .. Plus someone has to fill Thornton's role and it is either him or Lucas. ..

FB: Duigan :: Jamison :: Bower
HB: Laidler :: Henderson :: Yarran

Ce: Carrazzo :: Gibbs :: Simpson

HF: Tuohy :: Waite :: Garlett
FF: Betts :: Hampson ::Robinson

Ru: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy

Be: Lucas, Armfield, Curnow, Scotland

I like Tuohy in the forward line, makes me think of his goal in the SF last year. The other move is seeing Jeffy in the middle for periods tonight. Just seems we have so much more pace over the opposition. Blues by 36.

Speed kills but i think they like to wipe off 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back