Preview Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM - Team post #483

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch last week's game, Curnow was going well when we were struggling in the midfield early on. Won't be sub.

FB: Tuohy (Fasolo), Jamison (Cloke), Laidler (Wood)
HB: Yarran (Blair), Henderson (Dawes), Duigan (Beams)
C: Simpson (Sidebottom), Murphy (Swan), Scotland (Thomas)
HF: Gibbs (Maxwell), Waite (Reid), Lucas (Goldsack)
FF: Garlett (Shaw), Hampson (Keefe), Betts (O'Brien)
Foll: Kreuzer (Jolly), Judd (Ball), Carrazzo (Pendlebury)

IC: Robinson (Wellingham), Curnow (Clarke), Bower (Toovey), Armfield (Sinclair)

Very even match ups

Yes very even.

This game will be played and won above the shoulders.

Will we still be bullied or do we believe it enough that we have arrived.

I always read nothing into where players are positioned on the team sheets but I think Jamison will spend time forward and back and maybe even Henderson will be swung around at both ends.

Wouldnt it be great if both of them swing forward at some stage, kick goals while Waite drifts back a while, and then Hendo and Jamo get back into defence and defend well while Waite continues to kick goals forward.

All in the same game!

Will really make sides think of who will line up where as the season progresses.

Does anyone know if Jamison is dangerous at all in the forward line? I do recall last year vs the Hawks he kicked a goal up there but didnt look the best.

Does anyone know if Jamison is dangerous at all in the forward line? I do recall last year vs the Hawks he kicked a goal up there but didnt look the best.

He actually looked quiet good in that qtr of footy. took a couple of nice contested marks and had a couple of difficult shots from tight angles if I remember correctly.

Just be sensible and play him down back i would have thought. If he is playing forward then bringing Duigan in for Thornton is a silly thing!

We don't need to try anything fancy to win this game. We showed last year that we can match up very well on Collingwood, only losing by a few kicks on each occasion.

No 'try this player here' or 'experiment with this', just stick to the game plan, win the majority of clearances, kick straight in front of goal and don't allow their big blokes space.

With a number of Collingwood regulars missing, I am confident that we can and will win this one. Carlton by 20.

Actually looked terrific there, marked very strongly, lead very well just kicked like dog's hind leg at goal. Kicked 1.3 or 1.4. If he nailed a couple it might've got us over the line but he was great help in at least getting us back into the game. Decent effort first game back after a long absence.

As mentioned - can lead/mark/pressure but set shot kicking could improve. Makes you wonder why considering he is a full back.

I do know that White and Duigan can do good work up forward.

Actually looked terrific there, marked very strongly, lead very well just kicked like dog's hind leg at goal. Kicked 1.3 or 1.4. If he nailed a couple it might've got us over the line but he was great help in at least getting us back into the game. Decent effort first game back after a long absence.

Beg to differ about the goal kicking. 2 of his behinds were from sharp angles- one from each pocket and the 3rd was a brain explosion where he p[laye don from a mark in the pocket.

Pretty good I thought for a bloke who hadnt kicked a goal b4 that game.

I'm looking forward to seeing our tactical setup in this game. The past 4 games against this mob have been very similar - they get the early jump on us, and then for the remaining 3 quarters they flood the living daylights out of our forward line, play tempo footy, block the corridor, and slowly play it back and forth along the boundary. Horrible to watch, but effective. Mick, to his credit, was at absolute master at these tactics. And it's no secret that the Blues have been vulnerable to those ultra-defensive tactics in the past. Early days, but you can see there's been efforts in developing anti-flooding strategies. Implementing them against one of the most defensive teams in the AFL will be a good little test. The Pies coaching changes are intriguing. Buckley keeps saying he wants to use the corridor more, almost out of his intense dislike for Malthouse rather than anything else. In the Hawks game they tried cutting back inboard a few times, and were smashed by the Hawks. If you're going to use the corridor, you have to make sure you're defenders are comfortable one-out, because you won't have time to push numbers behind the ball on a counter-attack. And this is what happened, especially in the last quarter of that game, and the Pies defenders looked very very vulnerable one-out. And guess what happened R2? The Pies went back to the around the boundary stuff against the Tiges.

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamison is an AA class Full Back.
Would be ludicrous to play him forward.

I think occasional stints in the forward half is possible in this game, because he's coming back from injury and regaining some touch. Plus he's replacing Thornton who was playing a swing role between KPF and KPD. I remember when Jamo came back in the Hawks game last year - he really struggled in defence, just because he was readjusting to the tempo, and made some uncharacteristic mistakes. Ratten swung him forward and he did well, got involved more and regained his touch/confidence. I guess it'll depend a lot on how our tall forwards and defenders go. It's an option though. But ultimately, he's 100% full back once he's back to his best. No question about that.

Jamison is an AA class Full Back.
Would be ludicrous to play him forward.

This. We now have a chance to get our defence sorted. For the first time in a decade we've got meaningful talent in every defensive position, including height, speed and ACTUAL defensive capability. For the first time in forever we arent going to need to rob our midfield or our forward line to defend properly.

Ill call it now, this is the best defensive lineup we've had since the Sexton, Silvagni, Mckay era.

They need to bed it down and square it away. Give up on the idea that Henderson will one day go forward again. Hes at CHB. Jamison is an AA defender. Bower may finally be delivering on the promise that some people saw (which may see me apologise for the second time in a year). Duigan and Laidler are primed and ready. The Pies and the Hawks are the big worry for our defenders - literally because of the big men - West Coast as well, if less so now because of the loss of lecras.

I think occasional stints in the forward half is possible in this game, because he's coming back from injury and regaining some touch. Plus he's replacing Thornton who was playing a swing role between KPF and KPD. I remember when Jamo came back in the Hawks game last year - he really struggled in defence, just because he was readjusting to the tempo, and made some uncharacteristic mistakes. Ratten swung him forward and he did well, got involved more and regained his touch/confidence. I guess it'll depend a lot on how our tall forwards and defenders go. It's an option though. But ultimately, he's 100% full back once he's back to his best. No question about that.

I think we'll find that the reason Thornton isnt playing the swing role is because Gibbs can do exactly the same thing with more skill and precision. And he can man up and kick the ball a country mile accurately.

Since last pies match
In: Waite, Hampson, Jamison, Armfield, Carazzo, Tuohy, Lucas
Out: Thornton, Joseph, Watson, Walker, Ellard, Twomey, Warnock

They didn't have Shaw.

Does the MC know we are playing Collingwood and the game will be going up a level?

Bower ahead of Thornton defies belief. What are they trying to do, even up the game? No matter how many ways I try to work this out I just can not understand why they have gone this way. Thornton is a forward and Bower is a backman... we just brought in two backmen...

Staggered.

There is a fair distance between the two for quality in big games...

again, staggered.

Our MC are like a P plater trying to drive a F1
I am surprised on how Thornton been dropped, maybe has soreness or form is not to great against Collingwood?. We should have not dropped anyone, why change a winning formula. Brisbane are hard to beat at home and we smashed them. I can understand Jamison getting selected as being the Vice Captain.

Nick Duigan did not wait long enough in my opinion, he may be in the best 18 from last year performance but he can be replaced. His best work is his toughness at the back similar to David Teague was, Laidler and others like Touhy who are doing fine back there. There really not much more to his game.

Thornton is valuable to the team on the wings, down back and forward. He has proven his more reliable then Waite and Bower put together. Waite may be the better player on song, but all his career it has been injuries, suspensions plus he has never put consistency in multiple games. He can be quiet some games. I hope it works out well as I can see the club is showing faith to guys like Hampson, Bower and Kreuzer to have big games along with Waite.

Thornton is like Quinten Lynch to the West Coast with him you have insurance and another head ache to cover. I had a feeling he would get dropped because it would not be a big name player or midfielder. I know people will not forget the finger pointing days and the asking for trade. The same people who have forgotten Carrazzo turn overs.

I reckon we should still win just, but I reckon we would have won by 4 - 5 goals more.

Since last pies match
In: Waite, Hampson, Jamison, Armfield, Carazzo, Tuohy, Lucas
Out: Thornton, Joseph, Watson, Walker, Ellard, Twomey, Warnock

They didn't have Shaw.

That's a pretty big improvement, apart from Walker being out of oucrse. Also Kruezer and Curnow were both coming back from injury and way below their best. Reckon our midfield is even more powerful this season.

That's a pretty big improvement, apart from Walker being out of oucrse. Also Kruezer and Curnow were both coming back from injury and way below their best. Reckon our midfield is even more powerful this season.

Yeah better line up, but worried about Watson would not like to lose him, he has Essendon connections.

Is he out of contract? Would like him to start getting on though..
I think so if I am right new recruits get 2 years so Mitchell, McCiness and himself would be contracted till season end. We should be signing him up now for another 2. Mitchell and McCiness will certainly stay. He will be definitely target by clubs if playing in the 2 and may take the opportunity to play in the 1 most weeks. You get the feeling he may see his opportunity limited down the back. I for one would be disgusted if we lost another first round pick. This is possible when a dam handy player in Darling was available. Sign him up now first along with Kreuzer and Gibbs and Yarran next.

I am surprised on how Thornton been dropped, maybe has soreness or form is not to great against Collingwood?. We should have not dropped anyone, why change a winning formula. Brisbane are hard to beat at home and we smashed them. I can understand Jamison getting selected as being the Vice Captain.

Nick Duigan did not wait long enough in my opinion, he may be in the best 18 from last year performance but he can be replaced. His best work is his toughness at the back similar to David Teague was, Laidler and others like Touhy who are doing fine back there. There really not much more to his game.

Thornton is valuable to the team on the wings, down back and forward. He has proven his more reliable then Waite and Bower put together. Waite may be the better player on song, but all his career it has been injuries, suspensions plus he has never put consistency in multiple games. He can be quiet some games. I hope it works out well as I can see the club is showing faith to guys like Hampson, Bower and Kreuzer to have big games along with Waite.

Thornton is like Quinten Lynch to the West Coast with him you have insurance and another head ache to cover. I had a feeling he would get dropped because it would not be a big name player or midfielder. I know people will not forget the finger pointing days and the asking for trade. The same people who have forgotten Carrazzo turn overs.

I reckon we should still win just, but I reckon we would have won by 4 - 5 goals more.

Lot to disagree with in this post - Comparing Duigan to Teague is pretty poor judgement, even worse is comparing Thornton to Lynch - would be carded if I used the language I'd like to describe your views....

Duigan can play forward - period - as can Jammo. Thornton is a spud - period. Sorry, he is not on the same planet as Jammo, absolutely no way. Gets beaten for his size all the time, is slow, very slow, and plays for himself too much.
Putting Thornton ahead of Waite has simply blown my mind - I can't believe you have actually written that - agreed with Injuries and discipline, but you went waaaaay further than that - Waite is twice the player Thornton will ever be - ever.

Bower had serious question marks over him - however his return to form this season after the talking to has brought him back on song - bower playing well is also twice Thornton playing well however granted, not as good up forward - but if Thornton is going up forward when we have waite and hammer in the team then its game over already.

On the whole - you seriously need to get over Thornton - lucky to be in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back