Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number_9

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Should be a good game if the last couple of years is anything to go by. Think we will win this one.

Changes that are probably appropriate:

Casboult <> OMAC - Always will have a lot of respect for the catapult but unfortunately he looks cooked. OMAC produced a bit against Richmond and I can't see him doing any worse than the cas.

Williamson <> Stocker/Cottrell - Has had two horrid weeks so probably best that he goes back to the 2's to find some form. Both cottrell and stocker have some grunt but perhaps cottrell makes it because of the need for his tank.

Murphy <> Betts - I've always liked murphy despite his flaws as he always provides a good kick or two to set up a goal. However, Betts is a decent kick as well and on top of this he will 100% provide more pressure and probably more leadership on the ground as well. Teague has also stated he is best 22. I

These are the 3 i'd probably go for. I think Dow probably gets another game but I wouldn't mind bringing in Kennedy as they are similar players but Kennedy is the better mark and can drift forward.

A few others probably need to lift as well but cannot see more than 3 changes.

The Shag

All Australian
Mar 1, 2005
Birthplace of the ashes
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
B: Silvagni Jones Docherty
Hb: Williams Weitering Saad
C: SPS Cripps Martin
HF: Gibbons McDonald Fogarty
F: Fisher McKay Newnes

R: Pittonet Dow Walsh

Int: Setterfield Murphy Curnow Parks/Marchbank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Wow, the reactionary changes on here...

OUT: Casboult (inj), Newnes (omit)

Selection pool (my preferences in bold): JSOS, O'Brien, McGovern, Carroll, Cuningham, Betts, Marchbank, Kennedy, Ramsay, Cottrell, Parks, Stocker

Casboult clearly sat out almost a quarter and doesn't look like he is stable in his knee at the moment, I'd expect him to rest, and we can re-jig the forward line so Cripps and McKay can spell out Pittonet.

Newnes is showing signs of improved contested work, but in our chains of possession he was effectively a half-forward who didn't create anything. He can't escape enough situations with the football or as a pass option to exit the congestion, so he has to go and someone else needs to be allowed the opportunity to step up.

IN: JSOS, McGovern

Without Levi to help hold down the fort, we need a little marking power up forward, and we can use the two inclusions and the smaller members of the forward group to supplement the loss of Newnes. This shouldn't hurt our pressure in the forward half of the ground, while maintaining some mobile leading options.

FB: Plowman Jones Williamson
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Setterfield Williams
HF: Martin JSOS Fisher
FF: McGovern McKay Gibbons

R: Pittonet Cripps Dow

Int: E.Curnow, Murphy, SPS, Fogarty

Strategic changes are marked in bold, namely:

- Williamson to typically play as a deeper defender than Saad and SPS, learning his craft in terms of pushing forward while remaining defensively responsible

- Setterfield to play at stoppages, because his mentality and game style is built around being continually involved in the play, instead of bursting down the wing nailing a 40m pass

- Williams to go to the outside because his mentality and game style is built around those things

- SPS to be Williams' partner in crime on the other wing, where he can construct forward of centre consistently, something Docherty and Williamson aren't doing right now

EDIT: tidied post

Last edited:

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Not going to put a team up yet until i see who's available but:

Out

Cas: not kicking goals and not rucking so off you go.
Fish: Positionally speaking has done very little in two games and there seems to be positive murmurs about Betts coming in (don't need both with Fog and Gibbo there as well)
SPS: Just not doing enough (plenty of others in the same boat but I'd cover his spot with Williamson, yes had an ordinary game but a better defender off half back and kicks long and accurate)
Dow: Iffy one probably should go based on showing little but somewhat loath to do so because I think he will benefit from more games.

All of the above are purely based on positional output. I know there were others at half back and wing but not too many ready made replacements available in those spots.

Possible ins

Betts: mentioned above
JSOS: Will the shoulder be right?
Mc Gov: Paying him good money so if given all clear may be brought straight in (not debating whether he should be just think they will if he is good to go)
Cunners or Stocker?: could replace Dow or SPS

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Not sure and not particularly fussed.

Players I would like to see that would complement our preferred gamestyle and the current AFL ruleset:

Cuningham, Stocker, Cottrell, JSOS, McGovern, McDonald, Marchbank, Parks, Durdin.

Players I would not like to see that do not complement our preferred gamestyle and the current AFL ruleset:

Casboult (indefinitely), Murphy (indefinitely), Setterfield (on the wing in particular and when he applies no defensive pressure), Curnow (on the wing in particular which is ******* pointless), Dow (particularly when he refuses to apply any defensive pressure).

Player I have no ******* clue if I want to see:

O'Brien (his inability to be good is ******* infuriating given he has the suitable attributes to play wing in the AFL).

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
The club is getting Murphy to his 300th, whether we like it or not. He’s been a great servant to this club that they won’t be campaigners and let him ride the medical sub role until he can play in his 300th. Terrible look to our future targets if we did that.
If the targets we're looking at think getting a once good player to 300 games is more important than winning, they're the wrong target.

Murph does not deserve to be playing afl at present. Riding the pine to his 300th is an act of good will. Having said that, we're modern Carlton so of course he'll play as many games as required.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
10 witches hats in the team. Let's drop Newes. Heard it all.

Bloke was close to BOG last week far from the worst this week.

I'd take a 1 legged Newnes before I had to watch another Marc Murphy moment
Murphy was the next name I had on my list, but I couldn't justify it, just like I won't justify replying to you any further when this is your counter-argument:

Out: Murphy, Casboult, Cripps, Plowman, SPS, Setterfield
In: Kennedy, Oscar, Stocker, Parks, Owies, Cotteral

Over it, swing the axe and it least give me something to watch.

Drop all the conditional one way footballers please.

Kruezing

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So a 9/10 day break before this one ... any chance whatsoever we finish the game full of running for once ... that would be a pleasant surprise ...

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow, the reactionary changes on here...

OUT: Casboult (inj), Newnes (omit)

Selection pool (my preferences in bold): JSOS, O'Brien, McGovern, Carroll, Cuningham, Betts, Marchbank, Kennedy, Ramsay, Cottrell, Parks, Stocker

Casboult clearly sat out almost a quarter and doesn't look like he is stable in his knee at the moment, I'd expect him to rest, and we can re-jig the forward line so Cripps and McKay can spell out Pittonet.

Newnes is showing signs of improved contested work, but in our chains of possession he was effectively a half-forward who didn't create anything. He can't escape enough situations with the football or as a pass option to exit the congestion, so he has to go and someone else needs to be allowed the opportunity to step up.

IN: JSOS, McGovern

Without Levi to help hold down the fort, we need a little marking power up forward, and we can use the two inclusions and the smaller members of the forward group to supplement the loss of Newnes. This shouldn't hurt our pressure in the forward half of the ground, while maintaining some mobile leading options.

FB: Plowman Jones Williamson
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Setterfield Williams
HF: Martin JSOS Fisher
FF: McGovern McKay Gibbons

R: Pittonet Cripps Dow

Int: E.Curnow, Murphy, SPS, Fogarty

Strategic changes are marked in bold, namely:

- Williamson to typically play as a deeper defender than Saad and SPS, learning his craft in terms of pushing forward while remaining defensively responsible

- Setterfield to play at stoppages, because his mentality and game style is built around being continually involved in the play, instead of bursting down the wing nailing a 40m pass

- Williams to go to the outside because his mentality and game style is built around those things

- SPS to be Williams' partner in crime on the other wing, where he can construct forward of centre consistently, something Docherty and Williamson aren't doing right now

EDIT: tidied post

Don’t mind the 1 KPF and smaller forward line (may fall into FD hands with their defenders though) with JSOS & McGovern but what to do if JSOS is not right, and even McGovern for that matter?

Newnes stays though. Could replace Williamson down back. Not thrilled with TW as a defender and a willing tackling dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back