Game Day Rnd 3 Geelong v Adelaide @ Kardinia Park - Sun 23rd Feb 5.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Aside from the disgraceful umpiring, very lucky to have Ponter up forward because that entire 2nd half the forwards were murdered by their opponents but the delivery in the 50 didn’t help them as it was Adelaide Crows Men’s team-esq and always to their disadvantage. I’d do a session during the week of just handballing if I were Clarke as the ability to miss teammates with awful handballing was just poor.

Peak performances from Jess Foley, Ponter & Ange Foley and very good games as usual from Sarah Allan and Marinoff. Thought Najwa Allen‘s performance today was like chalk and cheese compared to the previous 2 weeks thought she was brilliant today a real point of difference, same with Gore who played her best game for the club. Pressure and defensive actions from Sophie Li and Dayna Cox in the first half were extremely influential.

On the flip side Stevie-Lee Thompson maybe has enough credits on the bank to avoid being dropped but her performances so far this year have been pretty awful, Cramey wasn’t fit to play and could’ve cost the team on a warm day like it was today, you give Campbell some latitude as she’s inexperienced but still she’s 26 and costing the team goals each week.

Thought the game changed & Geelong really brought themselves back into the contest every time Jess Foley went off the ground plus were helped by the effort of the umpires, but good to hold on and win where the men simply don’t to again further prove this women’s team are the anti-crows.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Someone called us cheats as we left the ground.

Laughed in their face and told them to suck it up. Very sore losers here in Geelong
They should try being a crows supporter. We've been cheated by the umps since inception.

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
It wasn't 50/50 because she tried to stop and was turned back inside then went over the line. It was a harsh call, yes, but if she hadn't done that pause moment and had kept moving at full pace over the line it would have been more likely paid as a point. The rule was quoted by Shiloh and it was the right call. So many people who follow, play and commentate on footy actually haven't read the rules.

I thought looking at the replay it was a wrong decision, but the umps don’t get the same armchair benefit of watching a replay. It must be tough umpiring scrappy football

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Screenshot - of how much space the Geelong player had

1582449995241.png

At 55 seconds you can see , while she was unbalanced , there was no pressure . ie the fans are stupid
Secondly with 30 seconds left I find it difficult to see how Geelong get it to the other end
Thirdly if the umpire allows the point any goal by Geelong still means its a draw

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The deliberate rushed behind free kick rule is terrible. I don't know why people are trying to shift the AFL's error here onto the umpires. The umpire enforced the law as written and Adelaide won, good result all round.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

View attachment 827872

At 55 seconds you can see , while she was unbalanced , there was no pressure . ie the fans are stupid
Secondly with 30 seconds left I find it difficult to see how Geelong get it to the other end
Thirdly if the umpire allows the point any goal by Geelong still means its a draw

I stated that decision was "LOL". Not so much it was an obvious error, but it was more to do with a sudden change of mentality, considering the frees were flowing the Cats way (particularly in the second half), and we should have got plenty of frees for good tackles (opposition players dropping the ball) but no reward/non-calls.

Good result in the end, and the better team (us) shone through. We clearly need to lift our skills though, particularly the kicking and the short handballs if we're going to be a serious threat again this year. Still plenty to look forward to with potential room for improvement and Erin and Scheer hopefully back by the mid-season.

This is going to be an intriguing year with so many potential permutations of the Finals make up.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

View attachment 827872

Of course. The point is that the Geelong player did the wrong thing, running it over to ensure that the best freak result was a draw!
She should have played on, attempting a chain down the ground to win by a point. The umpire was irrelevant.

macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
It wasn't 50/50 because she tried to stop and was turned back inside then went over the line. It was a harsh call, yes, but if she hadn't done that pause moment and had kept moving at full pace over the line it would have been more likely paid as a point. The rule was quoted by Shiloh and it was the right call. So many people who follow, play and commentate on footy actually haven't read the rules.

Nikki, that call against the Geelong player for unnecessarily and deliberately rushing the ball through for a point was 100% correct every day of the week. The nearest Crow player was 15 metres away and she wasn't carried across the line by momentum. she chose to cross the line when not under pressure. Correct call (even if one of the very few for the day).

The worst decisions for the day were those when a player being tackled dropped the ball was not penalised but then got a free kick for hanging on. Geelong received 90% of those decisions

Overall the umpiring was poor with the male umpire in particular being guilty in that respect - he had a shocker.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
someone said earlier that apparently Adelaide requested Sunday home games because it was better for families

As a single, 30 something male living in Melbourne with no dependents, I find it rather off putting that the fixture was not designed for me in mind at all
(no games in Melbourne and Adelaide games being on a Sunday = Hard to get to)

Well you shouldn't of sung all Those blues songs premempting social change and the end of white Male privaladge

Anyway, did you notice that one particular umpire in the second half, the controlling umpire, pulled free kicks out of ahat, that benifites the home side. Some of them when the other umpires were closer and in better position. The one late in the late in the last quarter so obvious. It was like that umpire had learnt from Darren goldspink.

He was a master at contests in the center of the ground, where we were off running, he would call us back and give us a free kick called way to late. Penalising us by allowing our opposition to get back.

It was shocking, that controlling ump in the center of the ground.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Of course. The point is that the Geelong player did the wrong thing, running it over to ensure that the best freak result was a draw!
She should have played on, attempting a chain down the ground to win by a point. The umpire was irrelevant.

They showed you a replay from behind the imp who called it. The geelong player Changed direction upon gathering the ball, that direction was towards the goal line and post, when she was heading towards the center of the goals, she could of easily chose to turn away from the goals, but didn't, wasn't under pressure, like she thought she might be, it was very canny the way we held off her.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
A copy editor is seriously needed for all the AFC sites. The Match report for our game has this interesting bit in it
"Good luck to the umpires splitting Adelaide pair Ebony Marinoff and Danielle Ponter for the three votes. Marinoff was in everything in the midfield, collecting 2 disposals (17 contested), 12 tackles and 11 clearances – only four less than Geelong combined. Ponter's four goals was ultimately the difference to go with 10 disposals and an equal game-high four marks. "

I knew Ebony was good but to get 17 contested possessions while only having 2 possessions in total is a hell of a feat!

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
A copy editor is seriously needed for all the AFC sites. The Match report for our game has this interesting bit in it
"Good luck to the umpires splitting Adelaide pair Ebony Marinoff and Danielle Ponter for the three votes. Marinoff was in everything in the midfield, collecting 2 disposals (17 contested), 12 tackles and 11 clearances – only four less than Geelong combined. Ponter's four goals was ultimately the difference to go with 10 disposals and an equal game-high four marks. "

I knew Ebony was good but to get 17 contested possessions while only having 2 possessions in total is a hell of a feat!
They also had the wrong final score, Ben Keays age wrong

And a few others

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Coaches votes from the game

Round Three voting: Crows v Cats

9 – Ebony Marinoff
9 – Danielle Ponter

6 – Danielle Higgins
2 – Najwa Allen
2 – Anne Hatchard

1 – Maddy McMahon
1 – Olivia Purcell

Well done to Najwa. I was quite impressed with her game on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes from the game

Round Three voting: Crows v Cats

9 – Ebony Marinoff
9 – Danielle Ponter

6 – Danielle Higgins
2 – Najwa Allen
2 – Anne Hatchard

1 – Maddy McMahon
1 – Olivia Purcell

Well done to Najwa. I was quite impressed with her game on the weekend.

Jess Foley stiff

check out these coaches votes

Fremantle v Collingwood

10 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
6 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
4 Ashleigh Brazill (COLL)
4 Brianna Davey (COLL)
3 Hayley Miller (FRE)
2 Sharni Layton (COLL)
1 Chloe Molloy (COLL)

Fremantle won the game

Collingwood dominated the game everywhere but the scoreboard

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nikki, that call against the Geelong player for unnecessarily and deliberately rushing the ball through for a point was 100% correct every day of the week. The nearest Crow player was 15 metres away and she wasn't carried across the line by momentum. she chose to cross the line when not under pressure. Correct call (even if one of the very few for the day).

The worst decisions for the day were those when a player being tackled dropped the ball was not penalised but then got a free kick for hanging on. Geelong received 90% of those decisions

Overall the umpiring was poor with the male umpire in particular being guilty in that respect - he had a shocker.

Yep, 100% correct decision but in the context of a 50/50 call in real time. That is, without the benefit of slow motion replays, it could have been a non-call and you won’t get too much argument. Certainly not a blunder of a decision either way, as opposed to obvious decisions which are paid (incorrectly) or non-paid (incorrectly).

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I do really like what Siren Sport is doing but their report on our game showed a strong sense of bias in the reporting, especially the last point of the report - https://sirensport.com.au/the-roundup-round-three/

The tackle on Gore was called "baffingly penalised for high contact" Watch the vision, the tackle slips up and gets her in the head. The tackle MUST be legal. It highlighted all three decisions that went our way and two of those were correct decisions. I think a case can be made for the one against Eloise being a bit weird as a trip, but she fully up ended her and could be considered similar to a tunnelling decision. No mentions of all the frees for incorrect disposal that were never paid the cats way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back