AFL Toast RND 4: 13 behind WIN Against the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

The game doesn’t have to be about them to pay decisions that are there to be paid. The ‘just let them play’ rhetoric is dumb, if it’s a clear free kick, pay it. There were plenty of clear holding the ball and holding the man decisions that were just let go.
Shiel in particular seemed to have been held all day

I was so keen on going after Tom Green, and I'd still bring him in in an ideal world. His disposal yesterday was ordinary but he's a beast and a competitor. If he starts to deliver cleanly he will impose himself.

Had to watch that back a couple of times to get a good look of exactly I was looking at given the mistakes from both sides.

So. Good point. The forward 50 pressure is an improvement on last year. Different personal (genuine small forwards) and improved effort has seen us a lot better at not just letting the footy escape time and time again. It could still be better but it is 100% better than last year.

Zone defense was reasonably strong after the first 10 minutes. Still a massive work in progress but it did force the Giants to kick down the line a fair bit. Still have to sharpen up on giving up easy second and third possession when the opposition is coming out of defense. Our defending of kick in stood up to a big test.

The captain obvious comment is our disposal at times by foot was well below average.

Sam Draper. Doing what Sam does but for him to take the next step he has to start taking more of the marks he is getting both hands to. He gets both hands to a number of attempts. Needs to start clunking some more of them.

Harry Jones. Confidence is gone. He is working his ring off but the marks are not sticking and I still think it is because in the last 2 seasons he has not played a lot of footy based on good form. With his injuries and circumstances he has not had the opportunity to come into the side with a run of good form and real confidence. It is now showing. Gets to more contests than anyone but just can not hold onto the footy. You could see the confidence drain out of him as the game went on.

Darcy Parish. There was a spot in the second quarter that highlights exactly what he needs to improve to be the player we need him to be. Kicked an ugly long floater that went straight to the GWS but then had no thought about transition into defending. Stood there for a few seconds looking at his mistake rather than switching straight into defending mode straight away knowing full well his kick was 100% coming back.

Archie Perkins. There is no doubt he has X factor and great vision when the footy is in his hands and he can pressure off a contest and make tackles but he is the worst for transition into defense we have. If you are live and the opposition has the footy he will be the bloke going around in circles without a clue what he is doing. I rate him but I am starting to question his footy IQ. He may have great instinct and ability but has he really improved on the player he was when he came into the side ?

Martin and Durham. Need to tidy up their defense as well. Marto still gets lost ball watching at times and Durham can get sucked into contests he should not be running to. They will get a good test next week against Melbourne.

Just on getting sucked into the contest we are shocking at going all in at the footy. I know the players are trying to pressure and make something happen but they over cook it and we have too many blokes running to contests they do not need to and leaving opposition players on the outside.

Also could we actually recognize that it is not a great idea to fire a handball (when not under great pressure) to a player who has the opposition right next to him .

Anyway a win is a win.
Jake fired.
Flip was good.
Setterfield just keeps doing what we need from him.
Defenders where good apart from the odd brain fade.
We stayed in the game and despite wasting a lot of opportunity did not allow a big run of goals.
We have played 4 sides that did not play finals last year and Saints aside will more than likely be in the middle of the pack and have 3 wins. can not complain a lot about that.

Had to watch that back a couple of times to get a good look of exactly I was looking at given the mistakes from both sides.

So. Good point. The forward 50 pressure is an improvement on last year. Different personal (genuine small forwards) and improved effort has seen us a lot better at not just letting the footy escape time and time again. It could still be better but it is 100% better than last year.

Zone defense was reasonably strong after the first 10 minutes. Still a massive work in progress but it did force the Giants to kick down the line a fair bit. Still have to sharpen up on giving up easy second and third possession when the opposition is coming out of defense. Our defending of kick in stood up to a big test.

The captain obvious comment is our disposal at times by foot was well below average.

Sam Draper. Doing what Sam does but for him to take the next step he has to start taking more of the marks he is getting both hands to. He gets both hands to a number of attempts. Needs to start clunking some more of them.

Harry Jones. Confidence is gone. He is working his ring off but the marks are not sticking and I still think it is because in the last 2 seasons he has not played a lot of footy based on good form. With his injuries and circumstances he has not had the opportunity to come into the side with a run of good form and real confidence. It is now showing. Gets to more contests than anyone but just can not hold onto the footy. You could see the confidence drain out of him as the game went on.

Darcy Parish. There was a spot in the second quarter that highlights exactly what he needs to improve to be the player we need him to be. Kicked an ugly long floater that went straight to the GWS but then had no thought about transition into defending. Stood there for a few seconds looking at his mistake rather than switching straight into defending mode straight away knowing full well his kick was 100% coming back.

Archie Perkins. There is no doubt he has X factor and great vision when the footy is in his hands and he can pressure off a contest and make tackles but he is the worst for transition into defense we have. If you are live and the opposition has the footy he will be the bloke going around in circles without a clue what he is doing. I rate him but I am starting to question his footy IQ. He may have great instinct and ability but has he really improved on the player he was when he came into the side ?

Martin and Durham. Need to tidy up their defense as well. Marto still gets lost ball watching at times and Durham can get sucked into contests he should not be running to. They will get a good test next week against Melbourne.

Just on getting sucked into the contest we are shocking at going all in at the footy. I know the players are trying to pressure and make something happen but they over cook it and we have too many blokes running to contests they do not need to and leaving opposition players on the outside.

Also could we actually recognize that it is not a great idea to fire a handball (when not under great pressure) to a player who has the opposition right next to him .

Anyway a win is a win.
Jake fired.
Flip was good.
Setterfield just keeps doing what we need from him.
Defenders where good apart from the odd brain fade.
We stayed in the game and despite wasting a lot of opportunity did not allow a big run of goals.
We have played 4 sides that did not play finals last year and Saints aside will more than likely be in the middle of the pack and have 3 wins. can not complain a lot about that.
The bit about Parish and Perkins… it reminds me of that stupid handball thing Redman did right in front of GWS’s goal.

But he made a mistake and then immediately tried to clean up, he was straight onto it and went cannoning into the bloke that received the ball.

In the end GWS still got a goal and it shouldn’t have happened, but having the presence of mind to do that instead of getting stuck in the past was good I think.

Makes me wonder if we should put Perkins and Parish in the backline for a week 😅

Probably panning out as expected this year. We have a top 8 type midfield. Our forward line is bottom 4 and our defence somewhere in between.

Just got to put away these limited teams like GWS. We've been able to do it to a couple of others this year which is a good sign but now we move into the real world and play some more capable teams.

Yeah I don't expect we'll win much over the next month or so despite Collingwood missing key players and the Cats playing like hot garbage.

As long as we can stay with them the entire game, make them work hard to get the 4 points and not get blown out of the water I'll consider it a success. If we can get away with a couple of wins then even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will give you the jist of it:
"Shoots for goal..... misses, again!"

End.
So they just took turns at standing around inside 50 shooting at the goals :p

So they just took turns at standing around inside 50 shooting at the goals :p
I was obviously being a bit facetious, Ant. It is not one I will go back to look at again.
- From memory I think Kelvin put it pretty well in his post (just scroll up a couple -#112)
Mids were OK, inside 50 entries however sadly lacking quality, forward line is poor but better than last year in terms of applying pressure - could have been anything if we took our chances and defence was good - team defence particularly.

However again we were helped by a team that had a bit of a 'mare, so it is a bit hard to tell...
I have never seen GWS use the footy so poorly or put so little pressure on.

Umpires also had a 'mare - end.

I was obviously being a bit facetious, Ant. It is not one I will go back to look at again.
- From memory I think Kelvin put it pretty well in his post (just scroll up a couple -#112)
Mids were OK, inside 50 entries however sadly lacking quality, forward line is poor but better than last year in terms of applying pressure - could have been anything if we took our chances and defence was good - team defence particularly.

However again we were helped by a team that had a bit of a 'mare, so it is a bit hard to tell...
I have never seen GWS use the footy so poorly or put so little pressure on.

Umpires also had a 'mare - end.
I know which is why I used :p

hate to say it but i think games that are umpired like that (ie not as many free kicks called) are much better than the overzealous ones
I was never expecting that when more umpires were introduced that less frees were paid.

The floating umpire was put there to assist in making decisions thatthe field umpire was missing. Once again the AFL changes up the way the game is umpired, in season and we're only 4 rounds in.

Yeah I don't expect we'll win much over the next month or so despite Collingwood missing key players and the Cats playing like hot garbage.

As long as we can stay with them the entire game, make them work hard to get the 4 points and not get blown out of the water I'll consider it a success. If we can get away with a couple of wins then even better.
Yep, that's about it really. Pretty sad when that is the best we can hope for. If we could win 2 of the next 6 (to be 5-5), that would be an excellent result.

Giving replay a watch (easter lunch takes precedence)

3 take outs
Flip should play whilst wright is out. Far better aerial competitor than weideman

McGrath's role is interesting. He seems to play defensive midfielder. Starts back and gets back. But seems to be around most stoppages

Need to find a player to do what langford does down back so he can stay involved in the forward half of the ground.

Yep, that's about it really. Pretty sad when that is the best we can hope for. If we could win 2 of the next 6 (to be 5-5), that would be an excellent result.
It was never going to be like flicking a switch. We're coming from a long way back compared to the top sides, it'll take years to build up the list and bed down the gameplan to the point it becomes instinctive.

Yes and yes, they call it edge

Edge Wwe Meme GIF

Edgy.

i wasn't keen on zerk-thatcher under truck but i think he's really found some consistency, i can't recall which game last year but he had some real gems in the rough, but i think under scotty he's really upped the anti. i really do hope his form continues.

Zerk’s last 5 or 6 games last year after returning to the side we’re pretty fantastic, and before that he was essentially the Darcy Moore of the VFL.

It’s been a multi year improvement plan for Zerk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back