AFL Toast Rnd 4: Bombers tame the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've just spent 20 mins trying to find the actual wording for this rule and come up with SFA. Does anyone know where it can be found?
There's news articules from December about it being implemented, but they don't say what it is, just that the AFL is 'cracking down'
The AFLs web page has nothing (there Laws of the Game page hasn't been updated) about in their list of 9 rule changes for 2019
The AFL Umpires Association page only has a link to the 2018 rules

Is it an actual rule or another case of "we'll make it up as we go..."?
BINGO!

So I've just spent 20 mins trying to find the actual wording for this rule and come up with SFA. Does anyone know where it can be found?
There's news articules from December about it being implemented, but they don't say what it is, just that the AFL is 'cracking down'
The AFLs web page has nothing (there Laws of the Game page hasn't been updated) about in their list of 9 rule changes for 2019

The AFL are shocking at publishing these kinds of things. You may find it pops up on another website eventually. The cynic in me suggests that they don't publish it publicly so it's harder for people to call them out when they make a ruling that contravenes the rules (under the never admit mistakes policy)

I can’t find a specific reference to it either but the file you want is this one;
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2019-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf

I’d say it’s an AFL directive to include studs up in a marking contest or general play under the misconduct rule or the striking/kicking rule. I think Greene was fined for misconduct (rough conduct) for the one on Heeney last year so that fits.

From the articles you mentioned they typically say something along the lines of a free kick when studs are up and fines or suspensions if contact is made. So I expect that would be referral to the MRO if they make contact with a player, where it’ll be graded and the player fined or suspended based on the severity.

I can’t see an example of it among the ones given for the tribunal to compare an incident though either. You’d think a unique sort of collision like that would be included in the guidelines.

The AFL are shocking at publishing these kinds of things. You may find it pops up on another website eventually. The cynic in me suggests that they don't publish it publicly so it's harder for people to call them out when they make a ruling that contravenes the rules (under the never admit mistakes policy)
I think sometimes articles on the AFL website are meant to be understood as an official AFL announcement, while others are opinions of the author only and don’t represent the view of the league.

Also did anyone else notice that the "From the Coach" thing this week didn't include the bit from Hayden Skipworth? Had Woosha, Harvey and Dan Jordan (filling in for sick Corrigan as the forwards line coach). Skipworth was in the room but either didn't film anything or it got left out in post..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back