AFL Toast Rnd 4: Bombers tame the Lions

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
BOG but for Walla.

Not for mine, what he does well he does really well, but the stuff he does poorly... gets out marked too easily and rolls off the contest too early. If he can get his competing aerially up to the standard Stringer is currently, he’ll be genuine best 22.

Devon Smith speaking on ch7 a minute ago said that he spoke to Shiel on the phone last night. Said that Shiel spoke about the noise and playing at the G.

Get ready for Anzac Day Shiel it gets better
haha- 48,000 at the ‘G is probably the lowest crowd I’ve ever seen there!

Devon Smith speaking on ch7 a minute ago said that he spoke to Shiel on the phone last night. Said that Shiel spoke about the noise and playing at the G.

Get ready for Anzac Day Shiel it gets better
The G is absolutely nuts, can make a fairly moderate crowd sound awesome. Must be the acoustics or something but you could put twice the number in Etihad and it'd still feel soulless by comparison (also a touch crowded).

Not for mine, what he does well he does really well, but the stuff he does poorly... gets out marked too easily and rolls off the contest too early. If he can get his competing aerially up to the standard Stringer is currently, he’ll be genuine best 22.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Watching the game now & Tippas work rate & goal just prior to 3QT...

giphy.gif

All the selections worked but the defence worked as well. First time I have seen us push a side down the wing for 90% of the game. Closed the middle and forced them wide which then opened up the middle and fat side of the ground for us to attack. Adding Redman was a big plus as well. We now have 5 players who can break the game open with genuine speed and good foot skills.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Or lost for words at how this side can go from full Esseington to full Essendon is under a month.
#stressendon

That was great. Zaka putting his body on the line and coming with second and third efforts has been a lovely surprise last couple of weeks. Good to see Zerrett do Zerrett things, Brown was good, Walla amazing and Shiel’s looking more and more like a b grade WCE Judd by the game complete with dodgy foot skills - if he starts hitting targets then watch out.

We should win next week but it’ll be a long time yet before I trust this team to do the things they should week in, week out.

#stressendon

That was great. Zaka putting his body on the line and coming with second and third efforts has been a lovely surprise last couple of weeks. Good to see Zerrett do Zerrett things, Brown was good, Walla amazing and Shiel’s looking more and more like a b grade WCE Judd by the game complete with dodgy foot skills - if he starts hitting targets then watch out.

We should win next week but it’ll be a long time yet before I trust this team to do the things they should week in, week out.

Agree. Need to see more evidence before I am buying but hey good on them for turning it around. One game of first place :p

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
How do we fit Gleeson, Daniher, Francis and Smack/Stewart back in the side?
Tough one for the selection panel. I can assume the following may happen

Francis in - Ambrose out
Daniher in - Clarke out
Stewart/Smack to fight it out with Brown
Gleeson might find it tough with the emergence of Ridley and Redman.

I guess it will all depend on the opposition and the need we have on that day.

First time I’ve seen the lions this year and the one thing I will say was their team defence was a shambles.

They were bailed out by some great individual efforts on a number of occasions

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Clarke>Daniher
Myers>Gleeson (Redman to midfield)
Ambrose>Francis (although Ambrose has been playing well, so it may be Ridley vs Francis)
Brown vs Smack/Stewart
Tough one for the selection panel. I can assume the following may happen

Francis in - Ambrose out
Daniher in - Clarke out
Stewart/Smack to fight it out with Brown
Gleeson might find it tough with the emergence of Ridley and Redman.

I guess it will all depend on the opposition and the need we have on that day.
i wouldn't be surprised to see TBC dropped for Joey
Reckon Clarke could ruck an entire game at the moment.
TBC looks like he's running with concrete shoes at the moment

Of course not I just don't like the nasty business. Wishing for guys to get injured. Saying the club is ****** ect ect. It not OK and should be condemned.
Wishing for injuries on any player is never ok, but if people don't agree with some of the decisions the club makes they are well within their rights to call them on it.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
All the selections worked but the defence worked as well. First time I have seen us push a side down the wing for 90% of the game. Closed the middle and forced them wide which then opened up the middle and fat side of the ground for us to attack. Adding Redman was a big plus as well. We now have 5 players who can break the game open with genuine speed and good foot skills.
Who are your 5? I'd have all 10 of these in the conversation there.
Saad
McKenna
Fantasia
Shiel
Merrett
Redman
Tippa
Ridley
Smith
Zaka

Shiel doesn't really fit the good foot skills part, but he can certainly break the game open with his speed. Genuine speed a stretch for Zaka, maybe Smith too. I haven't seen enough of Ridley's speed, but he certainly showed some wheels on the w/e. I guess he plays fairly safe so far, but that should change with confidence/experience.

Who are your 5? I'd have all 10 of these in the conversation there.
Saad
McKenna
Fantasia
Shiel
Merrett
Redman
Tippa
Ridley
Smith
Zaka

Shiel doesn't really fit the good foot skills part, but he can certainly break the game open with his speed. Genuine speed a stretch for Zaka, maybe Smith too. I haven't seen enough of Ridley's speed, but he certainly showed some wheels on the w/e. I guess he plays fairly safe so far, but that should change with confidence/experience.
Was thinking of the players who had played game time at half back but you can go with all 10 mentioned. Shiel has been patchy by foot but has generally been a very good ball user by foot over his career.

6 pages after an awesome win and Carltank have already hit 20 pages on their autopsy thread.

Why can’t we celebrate our wins like they blame Paddy Dow for their loss?

Back