Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Essendon Sat 27th June 7.40PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I have been thus excited/amped up for a game.

I mean it's bloody Essingtin, our mortal enemies (The Filth are our biggest rivals fyi)

Got my Jumper and Hat on already, this might sound seem odd, but it feels like a mini final to us, we win tonight, the draw opens up for us, and getting constructive wins in a row ia crucuial for the mindset and coincidence and the boys.

And did I mention before how muxh I hate Essendoped ?

FIRE UP BAGGERS ! 💙💙😳🎷🎷🎷🎷

I hope we rotate through the middle a lot more this week, as good as Cripps, Martin and Ed where they were spent halfway through the 3rd Qtr and we really got smacked in ground ball gets in the second half which helped Geelong get going I think they where almost 20 up at one point in the 3rd.

Fair enough to start with those 3 but change it up, which we did against Melb and it kept us fresh around the ball later in the game, this week Teague needs to find a balance between what we saw against Melb and what we did against Geelong if he does this we will be much better for much longer and should be far to good for Essenscum. Blues by 24

Cripps and ECurnow took on just about every stoppage. Cripps took every one.
Martin as the third involved and then we had a couple of cameos via Setterfield and Cuningham. Pretty slim picking overall.

I'd like to see for this week -
(I think we make changes very slowly and cautiously)

Backs: Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Docherty, Simpson, Williamson and Newnes

Forwards: McGovern, Casboult, Betts, Martin, Cuningham JSilvagni and Philip

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, ECurnow, Walsh, SPS, Gibbons, Setterfield and Murphy

Cripps and ECurnow took on just about every stoppage. Cripps took every one.
Martin as the third involved and then we had a couple of cameos via Setterfield and Cuningham. Pretty slim picking overall.

I'd like to see for this week -
(I think we make changes very slowly and cautiously)

Backs: Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Docherty, Simpson, Williamson and Newnes

Forwards: McGovern, Casboult, Betts, Martin, Cuningham JSilvagni and Philip

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, ECurnow, Walsh, SPS, Gibbons, Setterfield and Murphy

Yep, get Willo and Newnes behind the ball and SPS into the midfield.

With all the interruptions of COVID, here’s hoping the week off does * more harm than good.

Big test today as to how we have hopefully matured as a group.

Can we adjust to playing with just the two talls forward? Can JSOS step up as that third marking/competing forward? Can Levi handle their best defender? Can Mitch handle their second best?

Essendon will definitely go the hard tag on Cripps again. It worked so well for them last year. Has he learned to break it? Have his teammates learned to get physical with the tagger and help him?

Did we learn from Geelongs manic forward attack in the last? Because this could happen again today.

Need big Pitt being aggressive and physical with Bellchambers who has tried to use his physicality against Kruez in the past.

Hoping our bigger midfield can dominate their smaller midfielders. Ed to Merrett (can’t stand his staging for frees).

Eddie, Cuningham, Jack M and Philp terrorising their back men.
Yes
Good questions....and hopefully a few answers tonight
Their 22 does have a few holes....Heppell out..possibly its relatively Even on paper

I do like Philip in......a genuine type it seems...who will work...

We can win this game...via efficiency thus reaching the game plan...not allowing Dons to run free accumuling disposals going forward ...
Zoned kicking game .

Dons could be in trouble in this one...

Philps in is interesting. It hints at the idea that we might want to go in a bit shorter than last week, or that we don't need the same level of marking power; otherwise, Kennedy'd be the one in for Harry.

I like the idea of going in a little smaller, if only because we were very very tall last week and got away with it due to the narrowness of the ground and Levi playing one of the best contested marking games he's ever played. I am a mite concerned about Hooker and Hurley, as they don't have to compromise now; one to Gov, one to Levi. It means that Jack needs a big one, and/or that we need to be kicking more running goals than we did.

Hope Philps goes well. A terrier into the team and staying there could be just what the doctor ordered.

We'll be asking a lot from Cripps tonight and if Cripps somehow doesn't do what he does most weeks, I see the backline being under siege.
Feeling a little concerned for their mosquito midfield fleet; Shiel, Merrett, Smith, McGrath and Parish.
Good thing we have Pittonet in good form though. Could make for quite a difference.

Interested in Philp of course, but also how Murphy is to be employed.
Expecting more from JSilvagni, given the extra responsibility

Gibbons ticked a lot of boxes for me last week as a midfielder - he is a find in that role. I'd like to see Murph swap with Martin and Cuningham from HFF to on ball - as required. Not convinced Setterfield ( on wing) adds any more than Newnes which isn't much tbh. - at this stage ( we keep forgetting he is nowhere near 50 games under his belt?)

I think Gibbons and Martin added some speed and 'sting' to the midfield.

Lots of eyes will be on Philps - loved the run through Geelong video clip - but did anyone notice who gave him the perfectly timed and directed handpass - pretty much showing him the angle to run into and through? I did :cool: I reckon both he and Stocker are being put on the slow burn to over earn it -may be the best thing for them too.

If our forwards can score like they did against Geelong - they can do same against Essendon - that si the theory anyway. All we have to do is avoid the first quarter bogey man stoopid start and not get sucked into panic because they can move the ball quickly - avoid over manning contests and man up on open side players would be a good start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge game tonight. A chance to go 2-2 by beating the old foe. Two things I’ll be looking for:
(1) Can we bring the intensity from the first 3 quarters last week?
(2) Can we get rid of the quarter where a team puts 5 or more goals on us and we don’t register one?

Get these two right and we should get the result. In the past few years, we’ve no showed after a good performance and saved our worst for the teams we can beat (Melbourne in Rd 2). Will be a big test of whether we’ve matured as a group. I reckon we’ll have the better talent on the park tonight but can we bring that intensity again? I hope so.

Not too worried about stats and how much we score. It’s all about registering the W, any way we can, tonight. Go blues.

Been a while since I have been thus excited/amped up for a game.

I mean it's bloody Essingtin, our mortal enemies (The Filth are our biggest rivals fyi)

Got my Jumper and Hat on already, this might sound seem odd, but it feels like a mini final to us, we win tonight, the draw opens up for us, and getting constructive wins in a row ia crucuial for the mindset and coincidence and the boys.

And did I mention before how muxh I hate Essendoped ?

FIRE UP BAGGERS ! 💙💙😳🎷🎷🎷🎷
Right beside ya Elmer, bayonet fixed, LETS GO!!

I am supposed to be doing the preview this week, but am swamped at work.

I will do a proper preview in time, but for now...

1) It's *, so.... **** them.
2) They may lose several players to isolation. See point 1
3) * have been playing decent footy in 2020, so this would have been a challenge for us if they were full strength
4) Looking at their possible ins/outs, it's not quite as dire for them as you would think. Their backup defenders aren't disastrous. Possibly losing Merrett would be as big a loss for them as any of Hurley/Hooker/Saad. Heppel out too.
5) I think Weiters and Jones easily have Stewart and McKernan covered. On the flip side, Fantasia and AMT are the types that typically cause us trouble.
6) I think Ambrose is an excellent defender and a perfect matchup (for them) for McGovern. I think Levi annihilates Zerk-Thatcher and Harry may be too good for Francis who is talented but patchy and is giving away a lot of height
7) Will be interested to see how Pittonet goes against Bellchambers. I think that could be a win for us, but TBC is crafty and could put up a fight
8) Midfield is interesting. Smith and Shiel are very good, Parish is decent. I think their cupboard is a bit bare after that (especially without Merrett and Heppel), but they somehow manage to perform above what looks like an ordinary mix on paper.
9) In theory their midfield is very outside, although they have performed admirably in clearances and contested possessions so far this year. Cripps badly lowered his colours last year to NKOTB Dylan Clarke in what I suspect may have had something to do with Bolton's last days. I don't expect lightning to strike twice > Watch for Cripps to get 30 touches, 20 contested, 10+ clearances and multiple goals.

TL,DR: I hate *. Assuming they lose isolation players, I expect we will have too many weapons for their backline (and to a lesser extent midfield) to deal with. Cripps will go beast mode and we will win comfortably.

Blues by eleventy five hundred points.

Aphrodite - would you mind putting this in the OP? Ploise

I never posted my full preview, so here it is:

**** *!

That is all.

Gibbons ticked a lot of boxes for me last week as a midfielder - he is a find in that role. I'd like to see Murph swap with Martin and Cuningham from HFF to on ball - as required. Not convinced Setterfield ( on wing) adds any more than Newnes which isn't much tbh. - at this stage ( we keep forgetting he is nowhere near 50 games under his belt?)
I think Gibbons and Martin added some speed and 'sting' to the midfield.
Lots of eyes will be on Philps - loved the run through Geelong video clip - but did anyone notice who gave him the perfectly timed and directed handpass - pretty much showing him the angle to run into and through? I did :cool: I reckon both he and Stocker are being put on the slow burn to over earn it -may be the best thing for them too.

If our forwards can score like they did against Geelong - they can do same against Essendon - that si the theory anyway. All we have to do is avoid the first quarter bogey man stoopid start and not get sucked into panic because they can move the ball quickly - avoid over manning contests and man up on open side players would be a good start.

Yes. Gibbons is the right type of pest and Martin adds the smarts.

It will be interesting as to how we do go into the game and whether we have the idea of utilising the bigger body of Setterfield this week, or give Walsh more midfield minutes. I don't see Teague as willing to be too adventurous at this stage though. It may be a case of 'if it ain't broke' We'll see.

Essendon aren't a good team.
Scraped home against 2 sides that will sit basically on the bottom of the ladder.

We have been improving at a pretty consistent rate since we played them last (Bolton's last game)

Lock it in blues by 30

View attachment 900737
20 years of false dawns has led me to the conclusion that I will start tipping us once we prove we can back it up. If we win the next 2 games I begin to believe....until then.

Yes. Gibbons is the right type of pest and Martin adds the smarts.

It will be interesting as to how we do go into the game and whether we have the idea of utilising the bigger body of Setterfield this week, or give Walsh more midfield minutes. I don't see Teague as willing to be too adventurous at this stage though. It may be a case of 'if it ain't broke' We'll see.
Essendon is the perfect team to introduce Gibbons to our centre bounce setup. No big boys amongst their on ballers so we can go like for like with gibbons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back