Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Teague is smart enough to have a back up plan in the event GC place emphasis on negating Harry's impact, because that is what I would do if I were the GC coach.

Levi is not the viable second option. Right now he isn't holding his marks and on the rare occasion he does he cannot kick straight for goal. His use right now is limited to crashing packs and being a decoy.

I can see us going to McKay 45-50% of the time and him being negated and we lose.

Betts isn't going to kick many goals. He can barely find it as it is.

Martin is out.
No Charlie.

Jack has been terrific.

Then what?

Teague needs a plan to avoid being 1-4. (McGovern surely is it, or OMac comes in).

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it was just a name for an otherwise normal open training session.

Any idea on how long it usually lasts and if it's actually worthwhile going out of ones way to watch?

My understanding is that it is a very light, low intensity run around. Just a way of staying active before a game. I don't think you'd gain anything particularly useful out of it unless you wanted to meet some of the players etc.

You do realise we had similar number of best 22 out?
Freo have not been touted to play finals or be a real threat this season. They will worry a few teams in WA and let's see how we play when we meet them in Round 16 in WA. After GCS, we play for our season.
Port-MCG
Lions-Marvel
Essendon-MCG coming off the Anzac day match
Bulldogs-Marvel
Melbourne-MCG

No excuses..We do not have an interstate match until Round 11 against Sydney. All of these games are winnable and we need to win 3 or 4 of the 5 matches.
Any less, then we will struggle.

Freo have not been touted to play finals or be a real threat this season. They will worry a few teams in WA and let's see how we play when we meet them in Round 16 in WA. After GCS, we play for our season.
Port-MCG
Lions-Marvel
Bulldogs-Marvel
Melbourne-MCG

No excuses..We do not have an interstate match until Round 11 against Sydney. All of these games are winnable and we need to win 3 or 4 of the 5 matches.

Not talking about the rest of the season, just highlighting the comments regarding

"They are/were depleted by injuries"

And

"They have gone past us as a side"

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it was just a name for an otherwise normal open training session.

Any idea on how long it usually lasts and if it's actually worthwhile going out of ones way to watch?
Not sure on how long they train for. I was thinking about going too but can’t now.

If you have time why not. Go and say gooday and also pass on some of the important messages from here :p

Port-MCG
Lions-Marvel
Bulldogs-Marvel
Melbourne-MCG

We will go into each of those matches, except for Essendon as fairly heavy underdogs. Our draw is tough to start the year.

Obviously we need to win as much as possible to make finals, but you need to think about the opposition you're facing also. Don't be so small minded.

Hope Teague is smart enough to have a back up plan in the event GC place emphasis on negating Harry's impact, because that is what I would do if I were the GC coach.

Levi is not the viable second option. Right now he isn't holding his marks and on the rare occasion he does he cannot kick straight for goal. His use right now is limited to crashing packs and being a decoy.

I can see us going to McKay 45-50% of the time and him being negated and we lose.

Betts isn't going to kick many goals. He can barely find it as it is.

Martin is out.
No Charlie.

Jack has been terrific.

Then what?

Teague needs a plan to avoid being 1-4. (McGovern surely is it, or OMac comes in).
I wonder if any of our elite recruiters ever bothered checking that McGovern has averaged 12.5 games in his last two seasons at the Crows.
He has averaged 14 games at Carlton and has had injury after injury, his form has been abysmal and frankly, the only reason you would select him is because of the salary package he is receiving. Charlie....will we ever see him again?? 58 games in 5 years and coming upto 2 years since he played a competitive game of footy.

Port-MCG
Lions-Marvel
Bulldogs-Marvel
Melbourne-MCG

It looks like a big ask 3-4 wins from those games but I guess we only just loss to port last year.
Should be chance against Lions in melb.
We should beat * but they aren’t as bad as first thought.
Not confident against dogs on their current form.
Dees will almost certainly beat us imo.

It looks like a big ask 3-4 wins from those games but I guess we only just loss to port last year.
Melbourne were nearly beaten by GWS who had no bench. They are imposters. Dogs match perfectly for us. Our tall forward line will kill their defence if we can get the ball into the forward line quickly and isolate their defenders. Should beat Essendon, and a toss up for the other two, although Brisbane have beaten us up over the past decade.

It is tough to predict for sure.
Port - well, they beat roos & * but failed against WC. Big test against tiges this week to see where they really are at.
Lions - lost to Sydney and just to geelong, and then just over pies. Hard to gauge where they are at.
* - so far 2 games at Marvel, 1 at SCG. The one normal ground, AO, they got pumped. Think the smaller/faster ground still suit them, will get caught out on the bigger ovals.
Dogs - tracking well so far.
Melb - too early to call. A win against freo and agaisnt Saints & Gws who both have been ordinary so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure on how long they train for. I was thinking about going too but can’t now.

If you have time why not. Go and say gooday and also pass on some of the important messages from here :p
I actually finish at 3:30 so that's why I want to know how long it lasts. I'm thinking probably an hour and if that's the case it's not worth me making the trip in, but if it's 90 mins then it would be.

To be fair, he is also 200cm +

That’s true and he can jump, but he is an 18yo skinny kid in his 1st month of footy that wasn’t a ruckman as a junior.

I’m just looking for JSOS to provide a chop out. May not work, but worth a shot. Seems like other teams are more willing to experiment with these types of left field positional moves.

That's your opinion which you're entitled to. Many others here want to see us improve though.
Is rated elite for score involvements so far this year and just under half of his disposals have resulted in a score, Murphs doing alright in his new position.

Port-MCG
Lions-Marvel
Bulldogs-Marvel
Melbourne-MCG

Don't fret, we'll be sitting on 6-5 or 7-4 after round 11, we are better than what you give us credit for. If we play with the intensity of last week we will be difficult opponents for any team we meet and therein lies the improvement.

That's your opinion which you're entitled to. Many others here want to see us improve though.

We have already improved as a team, and we will continue to improve. Murphy isn't holding anyone back, if anyone performs well enough to dislodge him eventually they will. For now, he's contributing whether it suits to admit that or not. I wonder who the next whipping boy will be after this year when there's more retirements.

Last edited:
Important to note we have a 6 day break compared to Gold coast's 8 days and we are also the away team.

We'll probably need to be ahead at 3 quarter time imo...not confident in our running ability in the 4th. Richmond and Collingwood both powered away from us in the 4th, and we were sluggish vs freo.
In actual fact it is the team coming off the shorter break that has the greater winning percentage, but I do agree our ability to run out games and qtrs hasn’t been great so far which is strange as last year we tended to run them out well maybe Russell is building them into the season.

Yet to be proven on one match...Let's wait for the return match..

It's never good enough for some, now we can't make beating them into something positive until there's a return match?

In actual fact it is the team coming off the shorter break that has the greater winning percentage, but I do agree our ability to run out games and qtrs hasn’t been great so far which is strange as last year we tended to run them out well maybe Russell is building them into the season.

I don't think it's fitness so much as fatigue from chasing the play (r1 & 2) and getting flogged at training (r3). Win the midfield, win the game.

Looks like fantastic weather for tomorrow night. 30C during the day and about 21C by the bounce.

Was thinking of heading to open training today but just a bit far to go when I'm doing the round trip tomorrow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back