Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's fitness so much as fatigue from chasing the play (r1 & 2) and getting flogged at training (r3). Win the midfield, win the game.
Our problem is once we do start to fatigue our disposal and decision making take a big dive which we need to work on, the ability to slow the game when this happens and not keep trying to implement the same fast plays would help, more tempo less speed late in qtrs.

I was curious, so I made a list of teams ordered by greatest losing margin so far this year.

Sydney N/A
Bulldogs N/A
Melbourne N/A
West Coast 7
Geelong 12
Collingwood 16
Carlton 25
Gold Coast 25
Hawthorn 29
Brisbane 31
Adelaide 33
GWS 34
Port Adelaide 37
Fremantle 45
Richmond 45
Essendon 54
St Kilda 75
North 128

Obviously three rounds is a pretty small sample size, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Kind of puts the melts after the Collingwood game in perspective -- imagine if we'd played as badly as the bottom half of that list.

I was curious, so I made a list of teams ordered by greatest losing margin so far this year.

Sydney N/A
Bulldogs N/A
Melbourne N/A
West Coast 7
Geelong 12
Collingwood 16
Carlton 25
Gold Coast 25
Hawthorn 29
Brisbane 31
Adelaide 33
GWS 34
Port Adelaide 37
Fremantle 45
Richmond 45
Essendon 54
St Kilda 75
North 128

Obviously three rounds is a pretty small sample size, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Kind of puts the melts after the Collingwood game in perspective -- imagine if we'd played as badly as the bottom half of that list.
I was amazed at how we stayed in that game, not so much impressed at the score line as we were pathetic for most of it, but surprised. Goes to show that we are/were better than them and should have easily won had we dialed up the effort to even 50%.

But our problem hasn't really been getting smashed of late, its been giving up big scoring swings and not winning games when they were there to be won.

Last edited:
I was amazed at how we stayed in that game, not so much impressed as we were pathetic for most of it, but surprised. Goes to show that we are/were better than them and should have easily won had we dialed up the effort to even 50%.

But our problem hasn't really been getting smashed of late, its been giving up big scoring swings and not winning games when they were there to be won.

Even the big swings have improved this year. We conceded one run of 4 goals against Richmond, but apart from that we've only given up runs of 3 goals or less.

If we can just bring a consistent effort, we're going to have a solid chance of winning each game we play.

Sydney N/A
Bulldogs N/A
Melbourne N/A
West Coast 7
Geelong 12
Collingwood 16
Carlton 25
Gold Coast 25
Hawthorn 29
Brisbane 31
Adelaide 33
GWS 34
Port Adelaide 37
Fremantle 45
Richmond 45
Essendon 54
St Kilda 75
North 128

Great that we haven’t been blown away. Signs of improvement are there.

I think the dissapointment after r2 in particular was not our losing margin as much but that we were still in the game against the filth in the last quarter but we seemed to run out of legs. This aspect caught me by surprise as I was under the impression our preseason went well.

I saw a few tackles that Fogarty made - they were aggressive, hard and sticky - and he is a relatively small guy.
Has he learnt this from Geelong or at CFC?

Neither. Was a tackling machine as a junior.

9.7 tackles a match at U18 TAC level
9.3 tackles at U18 champs
7.8 tackles in underage TAC year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually finish at 3:30 so that's why I want to know how long it lasts. I'm thinking probably an hour and if that's the case it's not worth me making the trip in, but if it's 90 mins then it would be.
Just to make your decision even harder, when they do it in Perth I normally go and they always start 30 min late. Then they do it for an hour, normally they then hang round for autographs photos etc for 15-20 min.

It's never good enough for some, now we can't make beating them into something positive until there's a return match?

Yes, I want to see the same consistency in the Gold Coast game and the next and the next and the next, we aren't an under 15's football club who rest on our laurels after one win.

Perfect example of what we can do as a football club and what we should be doing as one every single week.

Will be disappointing if they bring the same effort as the Collingwood game, shouldn't have to get a rocket from the fans, media etc to get up and going.

I wonder if any of our elite recruiters ever bothered checking that McGovern has averaged 12.5 games in his last two seasons at the Crows.
He has averaged 14 games at Carlton and has had injury after injury, his form has been abysmal and frankly, the only reason you would select him is because of the salary package he is receiving. Charlie....will we ever see him again?? 58 games in 5 years and coming upto 2 years since he played a competitive game of footy.
Well I'll be darned. I doubt that has occurred to anyone at the club. Revolutionary thinking.

You should send in a resume. Put your hand up for the job.

Unfortunately not this time. The email earlier in the week states there will be no photos or autographs.
I took a shot of the entire training team recently - when I got the photos back from the chemist, where marchbank had been ......................there was nothing!

Just to make your decision even harder, when they do it in Perth I normally go and they always start 30 min late. Then they do it for an hour, normally they then hang round for autographs photos etc for 15-20 min.
Just saw this tidbit: Due to COVID restrictions, no photos or autographs will be available from the players on the day.

Probably not worth it.

We have already improved as a team, and we will continue to improve. Murphy isn't holding anyone back, if anyone performs well enough to dislodge him eventually they will. For now, he's contributing whether it suits to admit that or not. I wonder who the next whipping boy will be after this year when there's more retirements.
I have never suggested he’s not contributing and have no problem admitting he is. Everyone out there is contributing. Murph has some good touches each week, takes some marks running into space and sets up some scoring opportunities. Until we replace players with his defensive mindset with better, though, we will not contend for anything worthwhile. It’s the difference between beating good teams like Richmond or only beating up on teams like freo. He hasn’t been the only culprit and I’m not suggesting he has, but he is not going to improve in this area. Hopefully others will.

Northeast side of the stadium - around aisles 106-112. Hoping we are right on the fence as you really feel part of the action at the ground (open-air, not massive, lower crowds).
That's actually right where the members sit tbf. Well, right below it, members are on the 2nd tier at around the same spot. I'm at 210 so might be sitting on top of your head ;)

I have never suggested he’s not contributing and have no problem admitting he is. Everyone out there is contributing. Murph has some good touches each week, takes some marks running into space and sets up some scoring opportunities. Until we replace players with his defensive mindset with better, though, we will not contend for anything worthwhile. It’s the difference between beating good teams like Richmond or only beating up on teams like freo. He hasn’t been the only culprit and I’m not suggesting he has, but he is not going to improve in this area. Hopefully others will.

I understand that we have to get better to consistently beat teams like Richmond but we weren't far off in our first game. Had we done better with our goalkicking, we put on 2.8 while they were adding goals, we could have won.
The Collingwood game, we let ourselves down badly. We're good enough to challenge these teams. You're right, we're not contenders for the big prize just yet. There'll be a few more retirements at the end of the year when a few others are ready to step up, we will be much closer then.

That's actually right where the members sit tbf. Well, right below it, members are on the 2nd tier at around the same spot. I'm at 210 so might be sitting on top of your head ;)
Ah I always assumed that the members were all no the other side where the boxes were. My mistake! You'll probably hear me down there going off at some point haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back