Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who doubts mcGovern V a bunch of makeyuppy midforwards we are playing atm - should just look at the quality of marks he took in the reserves game last week. None of our midfielders and certainly not Jack can clunk them from 10/10 level of difficulty - or kick straight from ny angle - or take a leading mark downfield and spin and delvier a bullet 40 meter to another forward.

We need to play the bloke and get around him he has factorX and we will need it in the type of gme style we are playing.

Easy enough to drop Dow to bring Setterfield back in and play him in the guts instead of Dow where Setters is most effective.
Sure- but who takes Dow's place on HFF is the question...

Casboult is there to either clunk a mark, crash a pack or bring the ball to the ground for our small forwards.

He also demands a bigger bodied defender to stand him which takes them away from a forward like a McGovern or Silvagni who can then potentially get a size mismatch.

Fair enough, except Gov's game should be based on separation, clean hands and quickly identifying and taking the right option.

Playing on a larger opponent could actually help him.

Fair enough, except Gov's game should be based on separation, clean hands and quickly identifying and taking the right option.

Playing on a larger opponent could actually help him.
Would think Collins goes to Harry, then Ballard maybe would take Gov? Does Jack have the pace to do a bit of a shutdown role on Lukosius?

If Levi plays instead of Gov, does his current lack of mobility mean Ballard would have more opportunities to help Collins with Harry?

Smalls they've got Bowes, Markov, Lemmens & Harbrow matching up to our Fogarty, Gibbons, Murphy & Betts. We'll have to keep them honest, will need to tackle and pressure to prevent quick exits.

I'm not underestimating the Suns at all. I question our progress and think we should have a lot higher expectations for a team that has been building from the 2015 draft to be a premiership outfit this decade. It is time we expect to be not just in middle of ladder but pushing for top 4 status but right now we barely count as middle of ladder side with most. That is really poor progress if we are scratching around expecting losses as our norm.
I've never said that I'm expecting a loss, in fact I've said the opposite. I've expressed that while a loss would be disappointing it's not as though the Gold Coast are a basket case and it'd be an embarrassing loss.

I agree that we should be expecting more by now, hence why I said as an internal marker would be that we absolutely should be winning this game. However the wider perception of the AFL would be that it's close, shown by the media "experts" tipping more in favour of the Suns.

While we have been public with our expectation of finals, I'd suggest that the Suns would've had exactly the same expectation going into the season to be honest.

Docherty hasnt got much of a mention - I thought he was gliding across the ground last week and his kicking went up a notch to dangerous - good news for us.

Looked a lot better but i weary of comparing last weeks game to any other game thuse far - Freo were pretty diabolical that first half in particular and, yes, we played well, but it was like playing against the bad version of us.

Looked a lot better but i weary of comparing last weeks game to any other game thuse far - Freo were pretty diabolical that first half in particular and, yes, we played well, but it was like playing against the bad version of us.

I think with Doch - we all may well be underestimating how hard it might be to come back from two knee recos s well as he medical effects of treatment he had to go through in pre-season. I was really impressed with his running and also noted that in the last two games he actually trusted himself to go for a couple of intercept marks as well requiring a jump/leap - nothing to do with Freo all about his physical capability which is everythign for his style of play - fingers crossed it continues.

Agree with you re getting ahead of ourselves re Freo- that last quarter was a bad indicator to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This vid shows why Cotterell stays in...Cripps had given up and conceded the goal...cotters busts a gut and holds them up
This stuff needs to be highlighted and celebrated by the coaching staff during the week.

Saved, at best, a goal.

This is what is meant by a two-way running midfield.

For those up on the Gold Coast ...

FANS will be able to attend the Captain's Run at Metricon Stadium this Friday from 3.30pm.

As the boys prepare to take on the Gold Coast Suns the following night, Queensland Bluebaggers are encouraged to come and watch the final training session before the game.

You just summed up why we shouldn't play Marchbank on the wing. Play him to his strengths, his intercept marking and athleticism. Can play on tall and medium sized forwards and should be encouraged to push up the ground when we rebound.
To be fair, the last time he had a run at it, Bolton was the coach. Whose gameplan was notoriously difficult for the players. Possible reason for him taking so long to make a decision after taking a mark. Not wanting to make a mistake.

Another could have been no clear options presenting to him.

If you think that is tackling - you are in lala land - that free was for incorrect disposal - the Freo player missed kicking the ball one ump would give a free another may interpret that ball was dislodged in tackle play on, a different player may have got the kick away to advantage - it is a lottery.
Was Cripps accredited with a tackle? Yes.
Did he earn a free kick? Yes.
Did he kick the goal? Yes.
That's all I'm suggesting.
Farewell from La La Land.

Hopefully we get the same umpires on Saturday. Seems like no one was knocking Elani after the game. They were certainly red hot on any holding. Thought Walters first free was a little soft but it set the standard for the game and PC got one that was pretty similar. Harry was finally looked after. Would have kicked a big bag on Moore with the same protection

Hopefully we get the same umpires on Saturday. Seems like no one was knocking Elani after the game. They were certainly red hot on any holding. Thought Walters first free was a little soft but it set the standard for the game and PC got one that was pretty similar. Harry was finally looked after. Would have kicked a big bag on Moore with the same protection
The umps still weren't perfect, both ways, but when you get some of the 50/50 calls you normally wouldn't and you're winning fairly comfortably, there isn't a lot left to complain about. Bad/missed calls are magnified in close games or when you're losing.
Having said that, I felt like the Freo game was over-officiated.

This vid shows why Cotterell stays in...Cripps had given up and conceded the goal...cotters busts a gut and holds them up

There were a few other defensive acts from cottrell that probably saved goals too that I can recall...

One where Frederick kicked a snap that would have gone through but cottrell touched it in the goal square. Another where cottrell got a spoil on a freo player who was about to mark inside f50, cottrell was in-between 2 freo players.

His pressure was great and has to stay in the team after that effort given teague was demanding players contest and pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back