Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
This vid shows why Cotterell stays in...Cripps had given up and conceded the goal...cotters busts a gut and holds them up
I don't think Cripps gave up because he thought the goal was locked in, he just knew he wasn't getting to the contest. He's 0 chance of catching up to Frederick, especially when Frederick has a 15 metre gap on him.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Win or not last week I'd love to see the match committee play some players that actually have shown a bit in the 2's recently.
Time to rest a couple old blokes and Dow just needs to go back and get some form.
Casboult not fit and liability when ball on ground , Murphy as many score involvements he's had still think he lacks that high tempo pressure needed in our fwd line .
GC have a young quick side and if we let them release off their HB line will score heavily against us on their dung heap.

OUT: Casboult,Murphy,Dow
IN: McGovern,Stocker,Kennedy

McGovern 3.2 last week in 2's in a half of footy he also tackles hard and puts pressure on ball carrier replaces Casboult.
Kennedy bigger/better mark over head and can help out in centre if needed and can kick goals replaces Murphy
Stocker time to reward his efforts in the seconds adds more mongrel and heaps quicker can also kick goals replaces Dow

Setterfield to stay in 2's and play in middle and get some confidence back in his game with Dow.

Dows Mid minutes go to Setterfield
Dows FWD minutes go to Newnes
Newnes Wing minutes when forward go to Setters.

Something like that with fill in minutes where appropriate

Setterfield isnt a wingman and Newnes deserves proper bench time because he runs himself ragged doing his jonb as a wingman - thats the problem /challenge with Setterfield. Dow might beable to replace DOW's forward minutes though .

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Gov is talented, but fickle and has periods of inactiveness during a game

Personally I would play him in the vfl for another week

Still feel he offers more than Casboult and if McDonald was rated he would be playing every week over an unfit Casboult.

I am actually a Cas fan but he needs to rest he cannot jump which is his one big asset hitting contests hard either mark/spill ball splitting pack open and he just cannot do it at the moment.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
There were a few other defensive acts from cottrell that probably saved goals too that I can recall...

One where Frederick kicked a snap that would have gone through but cottrell touched it in the goal square. Another where cottrell got a spoil on a freo player who was about to mark inside f50, cottrell was in-between 2 freo players.

His pressure was great and has to stay in the team after that effort given teague was demanding players contest and pressure.

Cottrell has a big tank, is quick on the burst and plays the defensive part of being a winger really well and just as important, plays his part with passion and commitment.

Should absolutely stay in.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Cottrell has a big tank, is quick on the burst and plays the defensive part of being a winger really well and just as important, plays his part with passion and commitment.

Should absolutely stay in.

The kid was good offensively as well last week. Something he needed to work on.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Still feel he offers more than Casboult and if McDonald was rated he would be playing every week over an unfit Casboult.

I am actually a Cas fan but he needs to rest he cannot jump which is his one big asset hitting contests hard either mark/spill ball splitting pack open and he just cannot do it at the moment.

Set aside other players and or needs for the moment

Gov is extremely talented but hasn't shown any form of grit or consistency

At his best, he is a starter, but nothing wrong with another full run at the lower level

Having said that, think he comes in for Dow

At his best, he is a starter, but nothing wrong with another full run at the lower level

He needs to be told to make a decision if he wants to play AFL footy ....

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern is a one trick pony.

Not sure he offers any more than Casboult does.

There's several things Casboult can bring to the team that McGovern doesn't.

That's not to say Casboult should hold his spot but we're a better team with him firing than we are with McGovern if you have to pick between the two.
Respectfully disagree. Levi is useless when the ball hits the ground and does not take enough contested marks as he used to to justify his place. His kicking accuracy has dropped also which hasn’t helped his cause.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

I think that will be the only change they go with Dow out for whoever it may be as long as Saad is ok otherwise he will be out too.

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
To be fair, the last time he had a run at it, Bolton was the coach. Whose gameplan was notoriously difficult for the players. Possible reason for him taking so long to make a decision after taking a mark. Not wanting to make a mistake.

Another could have been no clear options presenting to him.
I think I am being fair as his indecisiveness with ball in hand is also evident in the backline. Play him to his strengths. Can’t see him having the same impact further up the ground.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
What if, for arguments sake, we've got a really settled lineup with no changes and Cripps/Walsh/Williams/Harry/Weitering/etc miss one week due to a suspension or personal leave?

Do we drop someone else to bring them back in and allow the younger player to get his 'mandatory' 3 game block?

Or what if they come in and they're absolutely f****** terrible and clearly need to go back to the reserves and work on their game or fitness?

Best available 22 is a week to week proposition.

your bottom 3-6 will always be vying for positions, along with long term injuries, such is the nature of the game.
I would think that a viable payer would be prepared for step up to senior level , physically and mentally from the leadership group.
I would think the soapy "your selected video" 3 days before a game is staged. If it isn't , god help us.
Richmonds calibre of door beaters was a player called Arts, he'd slip into our top 10 any day of the week, we got geelongs fogarty, who couldn't quite beak in
and so it goes.
We can carry 1-2 rookies, that's easy when more often than not, we're carrying 6

You cant substitute heart and enthusiasm, its team lifting. Think #50 for Richmond 1st game in a grand final was a fluke? it was genial. That sort of enthusiasm , deflates your opposition

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure that's the case.

Gov can jump, mark, is decent at ground level, is a very good set shot, is a very good field kick, covers ground quickly and can lay some very strong tackles. He's also (generally) a smarter forward foil and applies some decent blocks for teammates.

Levi can crunch a pack harder, can chip in for 5-10 ruck contests a game, and gives us a passable stationary target in the square.

The biggest issue with Gov seems to be in consistency of application/impact. But that's not exactly a strength of Levi's either.

Horses for courses - if Gov is four-quarter-fit then we should be getting him in to try and make the most of the new rules, and because after kicking 7.5 Harry is going to be attracting a heap of attention which should allow Gov to get on his bike for a few easy marks on the lead.

trouble is, levi see Mcgovern as dog feeding from the same dish. Alot of those pack crashes, Mcgovern comes out sore. LOL

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
If Dow is dropped I doubt anyone would be surprised or overly annoyed.

If the team is going anywhere players have to earn their spot in the team.

As of last week Cottrell has earned his place in the side, Dow really hasn't.
I think it comes down to them not having faith in Dow to carry the load as the 5th mid last week. Eventually they handed that over to Fog. The more I have thought about it the more certain I am they decided they were dropping him during the game last week.

The question is who replaces as 5th mid? Really only Fog or Setters. I guess it will come down to how fit MCG is. If fit, then he will play forward and Fog will go into midfield. If not, then Settwrs will take the 5th mid spot and Fog will stay forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back