Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Important to note we have a 6 day break compared to Gold coast's 8 days and we are also the away team.

We'll probably need to be ahead at 3 quarter time imo...not confident in our running ability in the 4th. Richmond and Collingwood both powered away from us in the 4th, and we were sluggish vs freo.

Kruezing

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Important to note we have a 6 day break compared to Gold coast's 8 days and we are also the away team.

We'll probably need to be ahead at 3 quarter time imo...not confident in our running ability in the 4th. Richmond and Collingwood both powered away from us in the 4th, and we were sluggish vs freo.
We had a ten day break the week before time the fitness department do their thing ...

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I know what you mean but this this notion of "AFL tackles" is rubbish to me - a tackle is a tackle and a an attempted one armer is a grapple...I dont like them because of chicken wing injury, sling results - as well as ineffectiveness

AFL players can make proper tackles anywhere from shoulder to knee - they are proper tackles - players are too much encouraged to go the grab an arm and try for free for incorrect disposal - which is always going to be dicey unless the tackled player goes to ground - given ump needs to be a) sighted and b) in the mood to give one...

In fact Dow made a very strong front on tackle to a running player out of a stoppage in the game ( Q3 early) but collected the player a tad high according to ump - really enjoyed that one - what you are referring to is typical AFL rubbish - nuff nuffery soft wishy washy nothingness as far as real tackling goes - and the great thing about proper tackling is that smaller blokes can bring down bigger blokes if they understand technique - with less chance of hurting themselves...

Fair point. Could it be that coaches are responding to the head injury emphasis with an alternate emphasis on tackling- much less likely to cause violent head into the turf incidents, by playing for the incorrect disposal via the pinned arm?

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I think whoever plays on Luko should take him to the goal square and expose his defensive fragility.
Our game style (attempted) is less conducive to playing negating roles, so I am not an advocate of too many "tags". However with "Luko" playing predominantly wing, the logical player to be accountable is the experienced and somewhat versatile Newnes.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Casboult is there to either clunk a mark, crash a pack or bring the ball to the ground for our small forwards.

He also demands a bigger bodied defender to stand him which takes them away from a forward like a McGovern or Silvagni who can then potentially get a size mismatch.

I'm not sure we need this to be honest I think we can do better and have a more complete forward line. Teams will go to McKay knowing Casboult is easy to defend and he is. McGovern and McKay can do all that and more.

new_blue

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit of a left field thought, but what if we drop Levi and use JSOS to give Pitto a chop out in ruck for 5 mins a quarter.

At least we know he’ll compete hard, can run and find the footy. Surely couldn’t be worse than Shaun Grigg. Heck, Ess played a skinny 4th gamer, who weighs 87kg in ruck last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Bit of a left field thought, but what if we drop Levi and use JSOS to give Pitto a chop out in ruck for 5 mins a quarter.

At least we know he’ll compete hard, can run and find the footy. Surely couldn’t be worse than Shaun Grigg. Heck, Ess played a skinny 4th gamer, who weighs 87kg in ruck last night.
I must admit I've had this thought as well. I don't think it's an awful call, especially if GC execute what they want i/e playing off Pittonett with the extra midfield size player in the ruck.

TheReal99prelim

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
How do you know? Are you at every training session? Are you abreast of how much work each player has put in over the preseason?

Or are you just guessing?

He's been injured and played only a half of football at VFL in 2021
His output last year (injuries, form) also suggested he wasnt getting continuity with his body and his best position on the ground
That's all I need to know

Fair point. Could it be that coaches are responding to the head injury emphasis with an alternate emphasis on tackling- much less likely to cause violent head into the turf incidents, by playing for the incorrect disposal via the pinned arm?

Different teams seem to have different approaches and philosophies - if you look at Sydney and Geelong as two examples - they try and bring man to ground. Last night there were a couple of examples of sling tackles hurling players into the ground which were penalised - the one arm thing is inherently more dangerous to opponent than a legitimate around the rib cage tackle - the other thing that I like to see is defensive players anticapting give off's from tackled or stopped players and intercepting or hitting reciever as soon as they get ball - this is another thing that Carlton could do better - interceping attempted give offs in tight situaitons - Doggies are good at that as well as Sydney.

The concussion issues are problematic - there is no doubt that repeated head collission has a cumulatiove and negative effect on people - it isnt just the bad luck massive head knocks that contribute to long term damage. I also beleive that AFL is more prone to delivering concussion based injury to more players than rugby codes because fo the nature of the game and contact types - a marking knee into the back of the head is a common occurence - that and kidney/liver damage...

In this context it isnt surprising that contact sports aren't as popular with most of the world as soccer.

tbh - if I had a son I wouldn't have encouraged them to play rugby or any other contact sport. I'm still paying for my adventures decades later.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
How long does the captains run usually go for? I'm thinking of nipping down after work but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Also, why is it called the captains run and not just an open training session? Sounds a bit poncey to me.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
How long does the captains run usually go for? I'm thinking of nipping down after work but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Also, why is it called the captains run and not just an open training session? Sounds a bit poncey to me.
Was described previously. Boys have last training session with captain only (no coaches). Light session and some team bonding time.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Was described previously. Boys have last training session with captain only (no coaches). Light session and some team bonding time.
Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it was just a name for an otherwise normal open training session.

Any idea on how long it usually lasts and if it's actually worthwhile going out of ones way to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back