Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sunday April 21st 1.10PM @ Marvel - Final Team - Post #854

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure on the best place to post this, sorry if it needs to be moved. Eddie has given significant praise to Carlton in the lead up to his 300th, as he should. Thought you'd like to see what his twins will be wearing as he runs out. He talks about it towards the end.

Bit of a sweet heart, isn't he?
Doesn't need a video to showcase that. His actions have already done so.

I agree injury wise, but not height

What I suggest people should do is rewatch the game and write down all the goals missed from inside 35, between the 2, 45 degree angles, then all the missed passes to leading/clear forwards, by our mids. I counted at least 8 goals.

Not to mention all the missed targets, forward of centre

All of which has nothing to do with height. Nail even only 1 of those 8 and we win the game
The rookie mistakes that we constantly make often destroys our momentum, and often accounts for rebound goals. Gut wrenching? yes, fixable? yes.

Take your word for it Arr0w but no way do i want to watch it again.

After a loss the things that stand-out to most of us is the last qtr. As the old saying goes "make most of your opportunities" ....... it starts from the bounce.

Yes the last quarter does stick in the mind, Ed a snap from 20, Gibbons from 30, Murphy from 45

But every opportunity throughout the game is relevant

Not a closed book by any means, depends on VFL form, injuries and team needs. If the CFC ever closed the book on any signed player by round 5, I would personally hand my membership back in. (Unless they morally undermined the culture). It shows a lack of leadership, developmental faith, inclusiveness, backing our staff in and a culture of what you need to do to get back on the selection agenda. Make the players work on their weaknesses, make them drive each other for greatness. Allow bit players to do their bit. That builds a foundation of success.

As Jack Little used to say :
“That’s it folks , there ain’t no more”
D48D0156-E612-4B26-A65D-DFD2009162D3.jpeg

Casboult’s contract expires at seasons end , there is no future at Carlton.
Thankyou and goodbye.

No I mean it. That defence is top shelf. And Kreuzer makes a huge difference. Its a tragedy that he only has 173 games.
Talent all over the ground yet there is is Doc Willo Macreadie Kennedy to come in to name a few. Then Setters and Stocker and others that may come on.
Its also a big sigh of relief that we dont have to play someone like young Ben yet. The last three years we had no choice in these things.

With only 173 games maybe he can play until he’s 39?

As Jack Little used to say :
“That’s it folks , there ain’t no more”
View attachment 658069

Casboult’s contract expires at seasons end , there is no future at Carlton.
Thankyou and goodbye.
Maybe so, but your thanks are conceited, your negativity abounds, and thank * you are not in the inner sanctum, because greatness comes from within, it is built with a positive outlook, a belief that what ever the step backs we will endure, not only endure but conquer in the end. And to quote you. Thank you and goodbye.

Maybe so, but your thanks are conceited, your negativity abounds, and thank **** you are not in the inner sanctum, because greatness comes from within, it is built with a positive outlook, a belief that what ever the step backs we will endure, not only endure but conquer in the end. And to quote you. Thank you and goodbye.

Inspiring
EC7D705E-B6E8-4749-B41E-5BE6183707E3.jpeg

What I suggest people should do is rewatch the game and write down all the goals missed from inside 35, between the 2, 45 degree angles, then all the missed passes to leading/clear forwards, by our mids. I counted at least 8 goals.

All of which has nothing to do with height. Nail even only 1 of those 8 and we win the game
Think your missing my point whether we win or not is actually irrelevant to my point .

The tall forwardline or extra tall created confusion both within the forward setup and the players when transitioning forward .
This was clearly emphasised by how many marking contests Gibbons was involved in inside forward 50 .
Yes we missed easy targets but when don't we that's Carlton .

Imo just not enough players leading up the ground so when a player looks up when gaining possession and cannot see a visible target leading up toward him a bit of extra time is taken causing indecision we have a turnover or poor kick .
Or the player just bombs it long to no real advantage of anyone but the defender .

Last edited:
Seems like they are banking on Silvagni providing more than Setterfield has, which is certainly possible given the fitness base Jack is coming in with.

Kreuzer is also a huge addition for the midfield. So we are certainly much improved on the inside this week.
Agree. Kruze will be a massive support for Cripps in the guts.

He’s one of the few rucks in the comp that can back up once the ball hits the deck and the big bodies start smashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks red. That's the most positive post I have seen from you in 6,629. May you be reinvigorated.

“Well that surely closes the book of Casboult for good.
Like the changes, much more balanced”

That is the post you originally quoted.
Note the positivity towards the team changes and team balance.
But you cherrypick.
Too hell with you and Casboult ...

Think your missing my point whether we win or not is actually irrelevant to my point .

The tall forwardline or extra tall created confusion both within the forward setup and the players when transitioning forward .
This was clearly emphasised by how many marking contests Gibbons was involved in inside forward 50 .
Yes we missed easy targets but when don't that's Carlton .

Imo just not enough players leading up the ground so when a player looks up when gaining possession and cannot see a visible target leading up toward him a bit of extra time is taken causing indecision we have a turnover or poor kick .
Or the player just bombs it long to no real advantage of anyone but the defender .
Yes but it will come. I mean not wanting to single anyone out but for example you look at some of Dow's passes. Would I prefer a Dow over a Gibbs? Hell yes, his composure is not there yet and we have that with many players. The panic, lack of composure, unsuredness. Walsh is a freak and to compare his composure with other players doesn't help. some will develop, some will not, that is the lot with AFL players but I still believe that we have a very promising list. They do make first choice mistakes, they often feel a lack of time and bomb rather than lower eyes to best advantage. That is what you get from young players. When the elders do this I see red but, father time is fast approaching a few. We need the elders to help develop the younger. That is our lot

This.

Think i read Charlie Curnow was only our F50 target a few times all game...he in particular just seems confused about his role and where he's supposed to be, particularly in a 4 tall set up.

Having 4 talls makes the roles of each even more grey than when there were 3, and arguably hurts each of their games individually as the ball isn't kicked to them as much as it's more spread. Add in Gibbons who isn't a natural forward at all and it lead to the disaster of the weekend.

Charlie for example, is one we need to be kicking more to than just 3-4 times a game...he's too good not to.

This applies to every game. Nothing wrong with the coaching if they can make all those opportunities.
But high time the mistakes start to vanish and the regular scoreline climbs quickly.

“Well that surely closes the book of Casboult for good.
Like the changes, much more balanced”

That is the post you originally quoted.
Note the positivity towards the team changes and team balance.
But you cherrypick.
Too hell with you and Casboult ...
No offence red intended, just don't want written off players round 5

I disagree

You are now using different flaws/aspects in our game that still have nothing to do with playing one extra tall

Firstly Gibbons was playing too deep and was actually leading into the space where tall forwards use as the fat part of the ground. I agree that our forwards over corrected and their starting position was way to high. Bombing the ball long is that get out kick so our half forwards should have been higher up the ground as link players, our forwards needed to be deeper to be able to mark or bring the ball to ground

Whether we had one extra tall or small, would have made no difference if the incoming kick was not to the advantage of any player

WC have played with 4 talls for the season Kennedy, Allen, Darling Vardy/Hickey and will continue to do so, difference is solid/above average foot skills

This.

Think i read Charlie Curnow was only our F50 target a few times all game...he in particular just seems confused about his role and where he's supposed to be, particularly in a 4 tall set up.

Having 4 talls makes the roles of each even more grey than when there were 3, and arguably hurts each of their games individually as the ball isn't kicked to them as much as it's more spread. Add in Gibbons who isn't a natural forward at all and it lead to the disaster of the weekend.

Charlie for example, is one we need to be kicking more to than just 3-4 times a game...he's too good not to.
Dunno if Charlie was 100% last week. Picked to play but niggly. looking forward to a bigger impact this weekend

Especially in light of the opponent and the venue, I have no issue whatsoever with the changes we’ve gone with. I like that we’ve resisted the temptation to include Kennedy, although (as others have mentioned) it does seem odd that he’s an emergency, when presumably he’s expected to prove his readiness for the first team through his fitness and form in the NBs.

On Sunday, it will be very interesting to see precisely where and how we employ Gibbons, Polson, and JSOS. Our coaches have certainly had their work cut out for them this week, and no doubt they’ll be extremely keen to avoid the type of critical scrutiny that 360 were able to subject them to on Wednesday, regarding our forward structure ... or lack there of. Hopefully if our boys come out against the Dogs with the right psychology, coupled with a clearer strategy and much improved execution forward of centre, then some of the “sack the coach” BS on BF will subside ... at least for a week or so.

I know that some people think that last week’s agonising result will have undermined our confidence, and will have weakened us moving forward. Personally, however, I think that it will only have served to markedly increase our resolve. I thought that this was evident straight after the final siren on Sunday, with senior players like Daisy and Simmo immediately going up to and reassuring some of our younger players, and Weiters addressing the group before they left the ground (I noticed that some described this address as a “spray”, but I actually thought that Weiters looked very composed in his delivery, and it looked to me as though his words were constructive in nature - firm, no doubt, but constructive nonetheless).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back