Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sunday April 21st 1.10PM @ Marvel - Final Team - Post #854

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Think i read Charlie Curnow was only our F50 target a few times all game...he in particular just seems confused about his role and where he's supposed to be, particularly in a 4 tall set up.

Having 4 talls makes the roles of each even more grey than when there were 3, and arguably hurts each of their games individually as the ball isn't kicked to them as much as it's more spread. Add in Gibbons who isn't a natural forward at all and it lead to the disaster of the weekend.

Charlie for example, is one we need to be kicking more to than just 3-4 times a game...he's too good not to.
Agree , Charlie is about the only one leading up the ground consistently hopefully he kicks into form soon but I too would rather see him closer to goal in dangerous positions .
He's wasted further up the ground trouble is we just dont have any medium forwards that command the ball on the lead further up the ground .

I agree injury wise, but not height

What I suggest people should do is rewatch the game and write down all the goals missed from inside 35, between the 2, 45 degree angles, then all the missed passes to leading/clear forwards, by our mids. I counted at least 8 goals.

Not to mention all the missed targets, forward of centre

All of which has nothing to do with height. Nail even only 1 of those 8 and we win the game

Are we making less mistakes than last year?

Are we making less mistakes than last year?
The answer to the question is where the mistakes are. Defence way less, Mids maybe more, Forwards are improved but delivery is not always to advantage. Look at the rebuild, defence was first, then forwards and our mids got rebuilt last year from lacking midfielders to having a lot. The mids are young and not bulked bar Cripps, Walsh is a freak, SPS is improving, Fisher treading water. Lob just back in. So less defensive mistakes, more forward movement mistakes, less forward opportunities. We tend to break even or win the centre clearance but don't quiet know how to take advantage of it. So mistakes a plenty, but waiting for it all to gel. I believe with the talent in all areas it will gel, but its gonna take time, with mistakes a plenty.

I disagree

You are now using different flaws/aspects in our game that still have nothing to do with playing one extra tall

Firstly Gibbons was playing too deep and was actually leading into the space where tall forwards use as the fat part of the ground. I agree that our forwards over corrected and their starting position was way to high. Bombing the ball long is that get out kick so our half forwards should have been higher up the ground as link players, our forwards needed to be deeper to be able to mark or bring the ball to ground

Whether we had one extra tall or small, would have made no difference if the incoming kick was not to the advantage of any player

WC have played with 4 talls for the season Kennedy, Allen, Darling Vardy/Hickey and will continue to do so, difference is solid/above average foot skills
Actually your last point is spot on as I've mentioned also our side atm is not competent enough to warrant or give good service to 3 talls let alone 4 .

Not sure why you keep bringing up West Coast when referencing our talls when you clearly know and see the difference in footskills and the comparative midfield strength of both sides .

This.

Think i read Charlie Curnow was only our F50 target a few times all game...he in particular just seems confused about his role and where he's supposed to be, particularly in a 4 tall set up.

Having 4 talls makes the roles of each even more grey than when there were 3, and arguably hurts each of their games individually as the ball isn't kicked to them as much as it's more spread. Add in Gibbons who isn't a natural forward at all and it lead to the disaster of the weekend.

Charlie for example, is one we need to be kicking more to than just 3-4 times a game...he's too good not to.
Agree , Charlie is about the only one leading up the ground consistently hopefully he kicks into form soon but I too would rather see him closer to goal in dangerous positions .
He's wasted further up the ground trouble is we just dont have any medium forwards that command the ball on the lead further up the ground .

Should always have someone deep with the 3 up there...So frustrating seeing it bombed in last week and none of them make the contest.

Love to see Charlie stick his hands out and clunk a few this week instead of trying to take them on the chest...Kid is a star in the making let’s hope he turns it around this week.

Actually your last point is spot on as I've mentioned also our side atm is not competent enough to warrant or give good service to 3 talls let alone 4 .

Not sure why you keep bringing up West Coast when referencing our talls when you clearly know and see the difference in footskills and the comparative midfield strength of both sides .

Okay a couple of scenarios/questions

Dow streaming out of the centre, McGovern 25 metres away leading straight at him, clear by 15 metres in every direction. Dow over cooks a pass, a metre over a leaping McGovern. Can you tell me how a smaller player would have marked that ball?

Ed misses a snap in the last quarter, 20 metres out, which tall contributed to that miss?

Gibbons misses a snap in the last quarter, 30 metres out, which tall contributed to that miss?

Dow streaming out of the centre, McGovern 25 metres away leading straight at him, clear by 15 metres in every direction. Dow over cooks a pass, a metre over a leaping McGovern. Can you tell me how a smaller player would have marked that ball?

Ed misses a snap in the last quarter, 20 metres out, which tall contributed to that miss?

Gibbons misses a snap in the last quarter, 30 metres out, which tall contributed to that miss?
One that I haven't seen anyone talking about is Marchbank from 51 in the 4th.. Didn't attempt a shot, we got nothing out of the entry and it rebounded lightning quick. Surely Marchy has 51m in his legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the above is where jsos comes into play. A very good link player and seems to know how to kick to advantage. was a bit pissed he wasn't in last week but glad to see him in now.

As Jack Little used to say :
“That’s it folks , there ain’t no more”
View attachment 658069

Casboult’s contract expires at seasons end , there is no future at Carlton.
Thankyou and goodbye.
you're kidding right? has played over 100 games for us, in some of the darkest days in the clubs history. atleast have some sort of respect

Clearly you've lost your train of thought singling out individual instances to back up your argument .
Im generalising assessing the structure as a whole and the performance of the talls both playing together which was shocking and the effect on the team imo this had .
Yes the disposal by foot was bad I just happen to think the structure also had its effect on the team's performance equally as well .
Sorry you can't comprehend that .
Time to finish up I think ...

Like the changes.

Would have been tempted to bring Kennedy in for more grunt in the middle but can understand why he has been held back.

Great to see Kreuzer back in the side, cannot underestimate just how important he is for us. A massive, massive in - and he should have a clear advantage vs the inexperienced and undersized English.

If he can make that advantage count it'll go a long way to seeing us walk away from this one with the 4 points.

Should always have someone deep with the 3 up there...So frustrating seeing it bombed in last week and none of them make the contest.

Love to see Charlie stick his hands out and clunk a few this week instead of trying to take them on the chest...Kid is a star in the making let’s hope he turns it around this week.
Nothing more frustrating than players not taking the ball out in front instead of chest marking it, only when the conditions are crap that it's exceptable...

Clearly you've lost your train of thought singling out individual instances to back up your argument .
Im generalising assessing the structure as a whole and the performance of the talls both playing together which was shocking and the effect on the team imo this had .
Yes the disposal by foot was bad I just happen to think the structure also had its effect on the team's performance equally as well .
Sorry you can't comprehend that .
Time to finish up I think ...

Don't be so condescending, I think I comprehend things reasonably well.

If you or anyone else want to blame playing 1 extra tall as a factor of the flow of our ball movement or effectiveness, rather than the 2 dozen easily missed targets, you are clutching at straws. GC had 2 plays under 60% DE, while we had 5 players under that mark

This week, we are still taller at both ends, are we still too tall?

Make no mistake, if we were better by 5% in disposal efficiency, we would have won in a canter. Likewise if we improve by that same percentage this week, we are right in the game, if it is the same, Dogs will smash us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back