Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sunday April 21st 1.10PM @ Marvel - Final Team - Post #854

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We're really persisting with Gibbons, wow.

Strong line-up, nonetheless, particularly if it ends up being:

In: Kreuzer, Kennedy, JSOS
Out: Lobbe, Setterfield, Casboult

Then:

In: Cuningham, Williamson
Out: Gibbons, LOB (needs more work in 2s)

:devil:

Our lack of small forwards on the list really shows when gibbons is persisted with and we don't even have another proper small...the other is ed who is another mid we trying to turn into a forward.

Coaches are.hamstrung a bit there...its SOS responsibility to fix that area.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Our lack of small forwards on the list really shows when gibbons is persisted with and we don't even have another proper small...the other is ed who is another mid we trying to turn into a forward.

At least Ed always has defensive presence and the potential to actually kick goals (sporadically).

Alas, we wait. Perhaps the mid-season draft?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Lacks goal nous, finishing ability, quality disposal and clean touch.

And doesn't have leap in him.

We shouldn't be kicking high balls to him, but he lost every single contest that we did.

Other small forwards with a leap would be able to at least halve some of them or even take a speccy and kick a goal.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I really think we can stretch the Bulldogs up forward, particularly if Charlie is now fully over the knee issue and McGovern can play out a full game.
They will get us on the spread though, so the defence will have to really stand up, even more!

Reckon our three tall forwards would stretch any defence...all very capable of a big grab.

We just aren't organised enough and not giving them enough supply right now. We often lose the i50 counts of they're just poor quality ones.

Once our midfield gets stronger reckon these three will dominate.

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
great to see young Jack back, in the paper during the week Pagan coming out and saying he should go elsewhere! Yeah sure, last time he was in charge he made a fat Lance captain, put Bryce in the leadership group in HIS FIRST YEAR!!! He was like a deer in the headlights, way to take the pressure off the no.1 draft pick Dennis, set him back big time early. But worst of all he brought his good mate mick Martyn across just to get his 300 games …. ON US as he was completely gone , cooked . It was Rubbish.
Yeah good idea to take advice from a performing seal that speaks in clichés, leave us alone Dennis. Between you and Mick Malthouse you have done enough damage. Keep selling houses with your son. And leave SOS and his son in peace.
Back to Jack, I love him as a competitor and when on ball in the VFL he is getting plenty of hard ball and giving it off. Just the help Crippa needs and when going forward ,as we know he cant run all day yet, he is a much better option than Gibbons or Fasolo .
Have a big one Jack
BTW Dennis, you and Mick were great at North.

Last edited:
At least Ed always has defensive presence and the potential to actually kick goals (sporadically).

Alas, we wait. Perhaps the mid-season draft?

You have to forget about the mid-season draft as an easy fix to a major problem. It's simply very highly unlikely to come about.
We just have to make do with what we have as we didn't chance our arm with a rebounding defender nor any small goal-kickers.

Dogs have Young coming in as that rebounding defender, Richmond went with Sydney Stack who's already making good, (it may not last but that's not the point) and we went with a KPD and a Social Influencer to start with and then settled on Gibbons and Cottrell.

After the relative disaster of the year before, we've walked straight into another relative disaster. I don't get it.
How can we insist on ignoring the types we need? It doesn't matter whether they become regulars but just to try and plug holes as against.....whatever we've tried to do via O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw, Goddard and Bugg. It's bizarre to me.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Just a point of “take a step back”:

The biggest complaint about our list these days is.......we lack small forwards????

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
great to see young Jack back, in the paper during the week Pagan coming out and saying he should go elsewhere! Yeah sure, last time he was in charge he made a fat Lance captain, put Bryce in the leadership group in HIS FIRST YEAR!!! He was like a deer in the headlights, way to take the pressure off the no.1 draft pick Dennis, set him back big time early. But worst of all he brought his good mate mick Martyn across just to get his 300 games …. ON US as he was completely gone , cooked . It was Rubbish.
Yeah good idea to take advice from a performing seal that speaks in clichés, leave us alone Dennis. Between you and Mick Malthouse you have done enough damage. Keep selling houses with your son. And leave SOS and his son in peace.
Back to Jack, I love him as a competitor and when on ball in the VFL he is getting plenty of hard ball and giving it off. Just the help Crippa needs and when going forward ,as we know he cant run all day yet, he is a much better option than Gibbons or Fasolo when going forward.
In my opinion there is plenty of similarities between Jobe Watson and Jack at the same age, be patient he is gonna be a club champ.
Have a big one Jack
BTW Dennis, you and Mick were great at North.
I was in the petrol station one very busy afternoon over Footscray Rd way. Pagan came in to pay...grumpy surly prick I thought when he spoke to the cashier. That was the impression given. It was as if he thought the queue should vanish for him.
Whereas I took a chance to speak to Parko in the street. Pagan I avoided.

Last edited:

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
You have to forget about the mid-season draft as an easy fix to a major problem. It's simply very highly unlikely to come about.
We just have to make do with what we have as we didn't chance our arm with a rebounding defender nor any small goal-kickers.

Dogs have Young coming in as that rebounding defender, Richmond went with Sydney Stack who's already making good, (it may not last but that's not the point) and we went with a KPD and a Social Influencer to start with and then settled on Gibbons and Cottrell.

After the relative disaster of the year before, we've walked straight into another relative disaster. I don't get it.
How can we insist on ignoring the types we need? It doesn't matter whether they become regulars but just to try and plug holes as against.....whatever we've tried to do via O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw, Goddard and Bugg. It's bizarre to me.

We ****ed up with an over-emphasis on mature bodies rather than talent. Now our younger players have built/are building mature bodies, there is no excuse.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I was always taught to honour the lead or put it out in front. Never to bomb it unless you needed to bail out. What's changed?
Agreed. in that respect, for the most part that is precisely what he did when he was delivering into the fwd line.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
He got involved by bringing his man into the contest, and by clogging up our attacking space
I saw that occur on one occasion, and the space in front of him was vacant and ideal to lead into; however the ball was bombed long over his head.
In the other instances, which I noticed, there were no other forwards in close proximity; so not sure who's space was clogged.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I saw that occur on one occasion, and the space in front of him was vacant and ideal to lead into; however the ball was bombed long over his head.
In the other instances, which I noticed, there were no other forwards in close proximity; so not sure who's space was clogged.

Happened a lot more than once. His positioning was really poor, and you could tell that just from watching the tv. Let alone the ones they highlighted from behind the goals on 360

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Lacks goal nous, finishing ability, quality disposal and clean touch.

Playing out of position, in a forward line that hasn't found itself yet, with consistent poor delivery to it. Has also only played 4 AFL so there is an adjustment period.

Wouldn't be easy in there no matter who was in that position.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Happened a lot more than once. His positioning was really poor, and you could tell that just from watching the tv. Let alone the ones they highlighted from behind the goals on 360
Am not basing it on what was highlighted on 360. I noticed this happening on 3 or 4 occasions. But only once did I notice those situations as being such as to be reasonably open to criticism for clogging space; and even then I felt the lead was reasonably on.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
Correct. He's just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back