Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v St Kilda Thurs 2nd July 7.40PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umpiring is the least of the games worries atm. I hardly notice them(except Ray).

The heat has been turning up on the coaches lately, finally, for their starring roles in ruining the greatest team sport in the world. They refuse to let the players win the game and insist that it must be THEIR "system" that determines games. We now have 44 scared players(of their overbearing, self centric coaches) out there, scared to play free flowing footy.

Hence we get the predictable move once again from coaches, to push the blame on the umps and watch the spotlight turn. Pathetic.

No rule change will help the spectacle. Only the putting the game back more into the players hands and not the coaches will help. How we do that i have no idea with the sychophantic treatment coaches get from a bloated hungry media pack only growing.

Anyways, i'll be watching the game tonight, not the umpires, and hope it A) rises above a mediocre spectacle, and B) we beat the rabble from Moorabbin.
The new generation of coaches is about to change the game into a much more attacking style - we will be at the forefront of this.

think people are over reacting on the back of an unusual season.

Games are shorter and not opening up at the ends of quarters or in the second halves as much.
Interchange numbers have not been decreased down to match the reduced game time
Skills/ team cohesion is down due to interrupted training.

I think worrying about the product this year when we aren't even playing normal game

The 3 top teams in the comp are playing exciting footy and I think Teague has been trying to get the boys to play daring footy. Saints seem to be playing reasonable footy. Hopefully the defensive mindedness of other coaches changes.

I am expecting highly entertaining attacking footy from both sides tonight that hopefully will stop those whinging about the state of the game for a day or 2.
Here's what I am looking for from the blues;
1) Pressure - the blues have done well in the most part this year stopping teams from playing the way the want to with good pressure on the ball carrier and an organised defence, we will need both tonight.
2) Aggressive ball movement - we look our best when we take the attacking option and move the ball quickly
3) Take our opportunities - we can't afford to be as wasteful in front of goal as we were last week - if we grab our opportunities and put pressure on the scoreboard I think we can get the Saints to crack.
4) Cuningham and Setterfield to frank their form - both players took big steps last week, I would love them to back up and show they belong.
5) Cripps to have a big one - he has a history of big games after low possession ones, if he goes big tonight we are a real chance.
6) Ed Curnow to Hill - lock him down hard and a lot of their run will disappear
Crippa has been down for a whole week now. Must be due for a big one!

Umpires have been instructed to crack down on ball carriers not making a 'genuine attempt' this week.

We need to be aware of this, especially being the first game of the round. Could make or break our chances of winning.

They've said it was coincidental timing and nothing to do with Clarkson's comments but i seriously doubt that. Kornes clearly talks sh*t at times on purpose to get a response, but in this instance I agree with him...the influence Clarkson seems to have on the game and Gil as a coach doesn't seem right. We all remember his 'coffee with Gil' that resulted in the AFL making changes he had been asking for.

I know the AFL consults with coaches on a committee for things like the rules and state of the game, but this appears to be a reaction to a publish lashing by Clarkson which they shouldn't allow really from a coach.

Poor brock McLean used to get pinged with that old chest nut.

Umpiring is the least of the games worries atm. I hardly notice them(except Ray).

The heat has been turning up on the coaches lately, finally, for their starring roles in ruining the greatest team sport in the world. They refuse to let the players win the game and insist that it must be THEIR "system" that determines games. We now have 44 scared players(of their overbearing, self centric coaches) out there, scared to play free flowing footy.

Hence we get the predictable move once again from coaches, to push the blame on the umps and watch the spotlight turn. Pathetic.

No rule change will help the spectacle. Only the putting the game back more into the players hands and not the coaches will help. How we do that i have no idea with the sychophantic treatment coaches get from a bloated hungry media pack only growing.

Anyways, i'll be watching the game tonight, not the umpires, and hope it A) rises above a mediocre spectacle, and B) we beat the rabble from Moorabbin.

Margettes is actually the worst umpire out of the lot.

think people are over reacting on the back of an unusual season.

Games are shorter and not opening up at the ends of quarters or in the second halves as much.
Interchange numbers have not been decreased down to match the reduced game time
Skills/ team cohesion is down due to interrupted training.

I think worrying about the product this year when we aren't even playing normal game

The 3 top teams in the comp are playing exciting footy and I think Teague has been trying to get the boys to play daring footy. Saints seem to be playing reasonable footy. Hopefully the defensive mindedness of other coaches changes.

Exactly.

All those factors lead to the extra congestion and lower scoring.

But there will always be people whinging about something.

Tonight is massive for us I think. We want to breed winning culture? Another win against a supposed top 8 team is a perfect chance to keep doing so and show they boys they are capable.

let’s go baggerssssss 💙

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am guessing we may start of slowly again in the first quarter, probably due to the shorter rest between games, just have to make sure The Saints don't get too big of a jump on us (they have been fast starters for most of the season)

I didn't watch the game, but we should try copy Buckley and Collingwood's game from 2 weeks ago on clamping down on the Saints and nullify their attack

No Zac Jones is a big Win for us, but we still should not take them lightly or assume this a guaranteed win.

We have yet to perform/win consistently enough to have that type of brash confidence like the Carlton of old
I WANNA BE BRASH AGAIN and AM CONFIDENT, win tonight and it will start feeling like Carlton of old....And I am pretty old ;)

A new rule interpretation? Fmd. It will frustrate both supporters especially the loser

Umpires will go over the top tonight, then it will be relaxed more for the rest of the round

As usual. First game of the round is always umpired like this.

As I said last week, I'll take the changes, but another week like the last few from Newnes and you have to give someone else a go. He can't blame anything on lack of motivation after tonight.
Gotta feeling he could go to Hill...Do a good job there and he will be playing a few weeks more. Something to prove....good size and pace.

Ed does not have the toe IMO and much better suited to inside stoppage work

Gotta feeling he could go to Hill...Do a good job there and he will be playing a few weeks more. Something to prove....good size and pace.

Ed does not have the toe IMO and much better suited to inside stoppage work
I would trust Ed to get it done much more than I would trust Newnes.

Blues by 1 point with big Levi kicking a snag after the siren.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but we went 6-6 in the 19/20 financial year.
Even though he has been in good kicking form over the last couple of years, I don’t think my heart could withstand Levi kicking to win the game after the siren...I think I died three times in the last minute vs the Cats two weeks ago

Even though he has been in good kicking form over the last couple of years, I don’t think my heart could withstand Levi kicking to win the game after the siren...I think I died three times in the last minute vs the Cats two weeks ago
Especaillay if the commentators start banging on about how much his kicking has improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back