Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v St Kilda Thurs 2nd July 7.40PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't really rate Geary, but he is their captain and has performed that defensive forward role in the past.
Stopping Doc definitely would help Saints win, so would have preferred Geary miss.

According to Ratten the game being brought forward essentially ensured Jones doesn't play whereas before he was a sneaky chance, so that's a plus.
I actually think Geary is underrated by Saints fans and he's clearly a good leader around the club, he is one of the better lock-down defenders in the league imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they tag Docherty given his form, it will be a challenge for him.

But with Steele likely to sit on Cripps, would they tag 2 players?

The Saints don't really have anyone worth tagging in the midfield (apart from their wingers who are not suitable opponents for Curnow), so Curnow won't really have a defensive job to do.

Membrey is very good overhead mark, great judgement and great use of the body in one on one contests, smart player...
We haven’t got a natural matchup...

While I confess to not knowing a whole lot about the StK forward line, I’d think we’d like up like this:

Membrey - Weiters
King/Marshall - Jones
Butler - SPS or Simmo
Kent - Doc
Marsh - Plowman
Gresham - Simmo or SPS

I suppose the Plowman on Marsh matchup could be a problem if Marsh gets a hold of him in the air - but again I haven’t seen much of Marsh so I don’t know if he’s likely to tear the game to shreds.
I think we need Weiters to negate Membrey’s aerial skills, but I fear that JW won’t have the agility to stay with him. A left field option would be McGov - good mix of speed and leaping ability - but then we’re a little light on in our own forward line.
If we went down that path I’d seriously consider bringing Kennedy in as another marking option up forward.

I said it the other day that the saints have many players under injury clouds... Hard to play an explosive game plan if you can't stretch your hammy.

It should also be noted that this is Gearys third game this year so he might not be up to scratch. So if they put him in it will be because he is captain. (a bit like we used to with Murph and Juddy).

I remember we used to lose Simon White and Yarran to hamstring injuries during games a bit when it was questionable they should even be playing. Losing Yarran in particular was a killer.

Yep i'm hoping Geary plays but below his best...maybe a bit underdone.

Gresh as well i know his eye doesn't affect his body physically, but I assume it would still be pretty tender and again he might be a bit below his best.

Straight forward changes.

Mckay & Fisher for Jack & Philp. No need for Mckay to play a scratch match.

Midfield rotation will be interesting with Fish into the side. Does he spend most of his time forward or does he slot into the rotation at the expense of Gibbons/Cunners?

I actually think Geary is underrated by Saints fans and he's clearly a good leader around the club, he is one of the better lock-down defenders in the league imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they tag Docherty given his form, it will be a challenge for him.

But with Steele likely to sit on Cripps, would they tag 2 players?

The Saints don't really have anyone worth tagging in the midfield (apart from their wingers who are not suitable opponents for Curnow), so Curnow won't really have a defensive job to do.

I don't think Steele will tag Cripps as such, but just put some work into him at stoppages...body checking etc like Curnow does to players. Run off him after the ball leaves the stoppage.

I would have put Curnow on Jones if he was playing given his size and strength...with him out yeah, maybe it frees Curnow up to hunt the ball more and get more clearances which he definitely can do when given the role. He can do that while body checking the likes of Hanneberry at clearances.

While I would pick Fisher ahead of Newnes (and others), I don’t think this is the change to make. I think we want at least one of Newnes or LOB to play wing.
Got to play Newnes against his old club and i hope he's giving us plenty of intel.

While I would pick Fisher ahead of Newnes (and others), I don’t think this is the change to make. I think we want at least one of Newnes or LOB to play wing.
I'd like to see O'Brien brought in to run with Hill, I think he is the best suited and seems to be putting in good performances in the reserves. I just can't see Newnes being dropped (especially against his old side), he actually performed fairly well last weekend I thought.

It's really looking like McKay (hopefully fit) and Fisher in, with JSOS and Philp out.

I'd like to see O'Brien brought in to run with Hill, I think he is the best suited and seems to be putting in good performances in the reserves. I just can't see Newnes being dropped (especially against his old side), he actually performed fairly well last weekend I thought.

It's really looking like McKay (hopefully fit) and Fisher in, with JSOS and Philp out.

I agree on LOB - think it is line ball between he and Fisher to replace Philp given how St Kilda's game plan sets up.

I've come around to Newnes a bit. I was never he needs to be dropped, I thought he's been playing solid without being great and thought Philp or LOB would have better output. But I've seen the last 2 games Newnes value, he's calm and composed and has had a few settling touches late in the games. The other thing is I think he's been a defensive wingman which is a interesting dynamic. Usually you wingman line up on each other and run off each other all day.

I assume he will go to Bradley Hill this weekend so I think there's no chance he's being dropped, and if he does limit Bradley Hills effectiveness I'll be all in on Newnes as a walk-up best 22 player despite low possession figures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really rate Geary, but he is their captain and has performed that defensive forward role in the past.
Stopping Doc definitely would help Saints win, so would have preferred Geary miss.

According to Ratten the game being brought forward essentially ensured Jones doesn't play whereas before he was a sneaky chance, so that's a plus.
They can sit Geary on Doc as much as they like, they're not going to get any goals out of him for it, and our rebound is not hurt given that Simpson created his renaissance through that role over the past 2 years. They lock down on Doc, someone else pops up to be the +1.

I am far more concerned about their rebound of the back flank than ours.

While I confess to not knowing a whole lot about the StK forward line, I’d think we’d like up like this:

Membrey - Weiters
King/Marshall - Jones
Butler - SPS or Simmo
Kent - Doc
Marsh - Plowman
Gresham - Simmo or SPS

I suppose the Plowman on Marsh matchup could be a problem if Marsh gets a hold of him in the air - but again I haven’t seen much of Marsh so I don’t know if he’s likely to tear the game to shreds.
I think we need Weiters to negate Membrey’s aerial skills, but I fear that JW won’t have the agility to stay with him. A left field option would be McGov - good mix of speed and leaping ability - but then we’re a little light on in our own forward line.
If we went down that path I’d seriously consider bringing Kennedy in as another marking option up forward.
I’m not really sure, like most games it all depends on how well and clean the Saints delivery into the forward line is, what we have done defensively a little better this year is third man up in defending marking contests by ‘spoiling or out marking’ with more numbers getting back and protecting...
One thing that is more difficult to do but would like to see more of from the players is reading the leads and space by sliding across and cutting them off...

69 tackles and not one HTB in the Hawks game. Didn't watch it but that is so wrong.

No different to what has been happening in the past 5 years, most games will see 40 -70 tackles with only a few HTB paid. Now that Clarkson says something , they sit up and take notice? It is a great tactic to stop a dominating side, deliver a hard tackle at every opportunity to sap confidence from the dominate ball getter, however if a free kick is rarely paid, tackling is a waste of energy.

69 tackles and not one HTB in the Hawks game. Didn't watch it but that is so wrong.

I don't see how you can say it's so wrong without having seen the game...maybe all the tackles sucked and the player disposed of the ball or didn't have prior?

It's like when I see people complain about the free kick count being lopsided...it is possible that all the decisions were correct and one team was just giving away more frees than the other.

You have to actually look at every individual case and assess whether it was the right or wrong call. There probably were a few that were wrong...but that's no different to any other decision an umpire can get wrong in a game like push in the back, chopping the arms or whatever.

For me, a stat like '69 tackles but not one HTB free was given' means nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another one of Clarko's rants and 'coffee catch ups with Gil' to get the game played the way he wants yet again.

It's like when I see people complain about the free kick count being lopsided...it is possible that all the decisions were correct and one team was just giving away more frees than the other.
This one for me is a consistent annoyance. All over social media you'll see "Free kicks were 14-26! God umpires screwed team A over and gave the game to team B!"

Hmmm no, maybe Team B were really reckless and kept shoving blokes in the back or maybe team A was getting to the ball first and winning free kicks for high tackles?

The free kick total stat is meaningless without context. Lopsided free kick counts don't mean the umpires had a bias and is a lame excuse for a teams loss by salty fans.

I'm thinking that this article outlines perfectly why Fisher will come straight back in if he is fit enough. He offers a point of difference at our centre bounces. Question is, does Cuningham fill that point of difference adequately? Cunners only attended 6 centre bounces against the Bombers. Seemed like more.
It was something I said we needed before last weeks game, as good as we were against the Cats we got belted up in ground ball gets and the contest in the second half as the lack of rotations just wore Cripps, Ed and Martin down.

So as I said we needed to find the balance and get more numbers rotating through there, and I’m glad to say we did, and it showed up in the Essenscum game where we dominated the ground balls and contest in the second half.

I think that if Setters can reproduce his work at the centre bounces from that game on a more regular basis we should be able to give Cripps more time up forward especially when he has a hard tag on him like on the weekend, this will make us a much better and more dangerous combination heading forward.

As for Cunners he certainly offers a great point of difference in the midfield and him and Fish can share the load in there without there being significant drop off, the more the merrier I think.

For me, a stat like '69 tackles but not one HTB free was given' means nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another one of Clarko's rants and 'coffee catch ups with Gil' to get the game played the way he wants yet again.
I'd bet a good 40% of those tackles were illegal too and not paid frees kicks against. That is far more alarming than worrying about the few actual legal tackles that did have player with ball, not dispose of ball correctly and missed free kick there. There are way more tackles that simply are illegal and should be paid frees against than missed holding the ball times. At least 3 to 1 ratio from what I notice in games.

Right. Reckon Ratten may ask Jack to body up a little bit more on our champ this week. Could be a few little fisticuffs this game.
I suspect that while Steele will play on Cripps for the majority of the game they will look to double team him and really try and stop him around the contest, a great opportunity for Setters to back up from last week and lead the team for clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back