Jun 25, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
:carlton: v :westcoast:

Carlton vs West Coast Preview

Carlton

Please note that this preview has been written prior to the North Melbourne game. Carlton has been unimpressive thus far, though it can be seen what the coach is TRYING to implement. A quick moving, overlapping and flowing game that utilises the corridor for more effective F50 entries. Unfortunately we presently lack the disposal efficiency, footballing nous, and gut running ability to effectively play this way consistently for four quarters. In my opinion, it is better to practice playing this way with growing pains, for more success in future years.

West Coast

West Coast have exceeded my thus far expectations this year – albeit a small sample size. They were a team I expected to tumble, and I expect them to be a 7-12 ranked team by the end of the year. It is clear to see the difference Naitanui has on their games. The intangible effect of his presence on contests makes West Coast a 3 goal better side. Thus far they have relied on ground work in the forward line for much of their scoring. It will be interesting to see if they become too Kennedy focused. Their older team, has meant less pressure on their first / second year players, allowing them to grow into their role without the need to be match winners (though Ryan pre-injury certainly oozed match winner).

West Coast players

West Coast have a far more match hardened side than Carlton, and this will be something our midfield will need to overcome. The heavy lifting cannot solely be left to Cripps all the time. West Coast’s midfield is mediocre and will be where the match is won. Gaff should be carefully marked on the outside, as we have been burned by outside midfielders (especially well drilled ones) thus far this year. Sheed & Shuey have been good this year, though I feel Shuey is most dangerous when allowed to run in straight lines. Josh Kennedy is back, and could cut us to shreds ala Lynch Rd3 if given too much latitude, or their midfield gives too much supply. Liam Jones NEEDS help to contain him. Weitering or Plowman should be instructed to zone for intercepting his supply.

Carlton players

Charlie Curnow is no secret anymore. He reminds me so much of Kouta pre knee. West Coast will put time into stopping him, as he has been our avenue to goal a lot this year. Levi needs to assert his authority on not a massively strong backline, and hopefully Harry McKay does something in the magoos to give Bolton a reason to pick him. Kreuzer vs Naitanui will be an exciting and pivotal contest – hopefully Kreuz is 100% and can take advantage of Lycett while Naitanui’s game time is managed. Our midfield has the quality to match it with West Coast – they must ensure that they don’t ball watch and allow West Coast to dominate the outside.

Prediction

Carlton must stick fat and work towards a game plan that will hopefully ensue sustained success. West Coast are definitely weaker away from home, and the game should come down to who maintains better disposal efficiently. Too many turnovers will spell trouble for the Blues. There's also the fact that we are playing terrible football.

West Coast by 55 points.

Last edited:

F*********************************.

Too many variables at the moment to consider changes, with unknown injury severities and the seconds having not played.

Not looking forward to this one, WC look sharp this year.

OUT - Nick Graham (Omitted), Liam Jones (Omitted), Paddy Dow (Managed)
IN - Sam Kerridge, Sam Rowe, Harry McKay
NEED TO LIFT - Levi Casboult, David Cuningham, Cameron O'Shea, Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering

FB - Lachie Plowman, Sam Rowe, Jacob Weitering
HB - David Cuningham, Kade Simpson, Lochie O'Brien
C - Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Aaron Mullett
HF - Dale Thomas, Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow
FF - Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Jarrod Garlett
R - Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kennedy
I - Sam Kerridge, Cameron O'Shea, Zac Fisher, Harry McKay

E - Harrison Macreadie, Nick Graham, Tom De Koning, Liam Jones

WHY IN?
Kerridge brings more grunt and hardness to the contest. We unfortunately have nobody better for this area.
Many have slotted straight back into the side after an ACL. Given that Rowe has already played a couple of matches and has some senior experience under his belt, I can't see why he's not considered for a return to the main team for the moment. Besides, him underdone couldn't be any worse compared to what we are currently seeing now.
McKay is not going to learn and develop in any way if the VFL team continue to get smacked. He needs AFL experience and has to avoid getting destroyed in the twos.

WHY OUT?
Graham
doesn't throw his body in. That adding to his skill deficiencies sums up how far he is from winning a permanent spot in the team.
Honestly given the way Jones has been performing, he doesn't deserve his 100 game milestone.
Dow is simply not delivering right now. And he might be spent. Rest him or send him back to the VFL.

WHY NOT?
The kicking from O'Shea was putrid, but because he worked a little and presented himself nicely, he survives. JUST!!!
Macreadie still a week or two away.
Whenever Lang is fit, he comes in through the seconds.
For some reason I can't see Murphy getting up. That injury might not look that bad from the outside but I can't help but feel we have lost him for 8-10 weeks.

Shouldn't really be doing this before the VFL match, but IDGAF.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key stat predictions

Cripps and Ed Curnow to get 28+ touches nobody else to really offer much.
Gaff and Shuey to get 30+.
McGovern 5+ intercept marks
Carlton lead the inside 50 count
One of Kennedy and darling kick 6+
Eagles by 40-85 points

Having a big footy spell. Good luck to the blues v west coast and for the remainder of the season. I’m lacking the energy. Will continue to be a paying member but this last 20+ years have been tough. It just is way too depressing when I look forward confidently and we dish up those performances and the stick doesn’t come out in Bolton’s press conferences. I’ll return when they deserve my time to discussion.

OUT - Nick Graham (Omitted), Liam Jones (Omitted), Paddy Dow (Managed)
IN - Sam Kerridge, Sam Rowe, Harry McKay
NEED TO LIFT - Levi Casboult, David Cuningham, Cameron O'Shea, Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering

FB - Lachie Plowman, Sam Rowe, Jacob Weitering
HB - David Cuningham, Kade Simpson, Lochie O'Brien
C - Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Aaron Mullett
HF - Dale Thomas, Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow
FF - Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Jarrod Garlett
R - Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kennedy
I - Sam Kerridge, Cameron O'Shea, Zac Fisher, Harry McKay

E - Harrison Macreadie, Nick Graham, Tom De Koning, Liam Jones

WHY IN?
Kerridge brings more grunt hardness. We unfortunately have nobody better for this area.
Many have slotted straight back into the side after an ACL. Given that Rowe has already played a couple of matches and has some senior experience under his belt, I can't see why he's not considered for a return to the main team for the moment. Besides, him underdone couldn't be any worse compared to what we are currently seeing now.
McKay is not going to learn and develop in any way if the VFL team continue to get smacked. He needs AFL experience and has to avoid getting destroyed in the twos.

WHY OUT?
Graham
does throw his body in. That adding to his skill deficiencies sums up how far he is from winning a permanent spot in the team.
Honestly given the way Jones has been performing, he doesn't deserve his 100 game milestone.
Dow is simply not delivering right now. And he might be spent. Rest him or send him back to the VFL.

WHY NOT?
The kicking from O'Shea was putrid, but because he worked a little and presented himself nicely, he survives. JUST!!!
Macreadie still a week or two away.
Whenever Lang is fit, he comes in through the seconds.
For some reason I can't see Murphy getting up. That injury might not look that bad from the outside but I can't help but feel we have lost him for 8-10 weeks.

Shouldn't really be doing this before the VFL match, but IDGAF.
Murphy out?

Dow needs to be 'rested'

Jones needs ti be dropped but unfortunately rowe isnt ready and asos injured.

Kruez needs a rest, but who to bring in? Phillips? Either way nic nat will have a field day.

If kerr has agood game i would bring him in. Been advocating this for a while. Leads towards the ball.

Unfortunately, not many options all round.

At this point in time dont care about the result next week as i know its not going to be pretty .
All i want to see next week is some care some heart passion collectively by the group .
Not individuals as you could see the players that were putting in last night and the ones that werent .
Show me some mongrel at least Casboult layed some ripping bumps Thomas had a red hot go and you could see Cripps was angry .
Show me 22 players next week with this attitude and i'll be satisfied for now .
Nothing will change without care and passion for the contest .
Last night in that regard was totally unacceptable .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back