Preview RND 5 - Carlton v West Coast - 4:35PM Saturday 21st April @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attitude or work ethic maybe? I mean what else could it be that thry would have patience and stick with him for a while? Has he been only running one way?

Who knows, maybe he was out late or on turps or something.

I cant really think of anything else. Obviously the club know better than we do.

I dont understand people losing it over his omission. I doubt Bolts would do it without a considered reason.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
In context of the faith they have shown in most of the young players it is understandable imo .
And with the injuries we have he's one of very few that have a burst of speed and evasiveness in the side .
But agree there has to be some other reason .

There’s a piece of play from the north game where a boundary throw in stoppage saw a good contest and one north player run through and get the releasing hand ball while his direct carlton opponent stood there doing absolutely nothing and still on the wrong side of the stoppage. Wasn’t playing goal side in the defensive half either. That was Cuningham. Think his defensive pressure has been made an example of perhaps. Daisy may not lay many tackles but he was top 2 for pressure acts last week. Cuningham was bottom 3 and only above Jones and Plowman. Some of the boys who played far less game time were far more active defensively.

To put it simply. He was abysmal last week wrt defensive effort.

I guess one thing we can look to is how the future nucleus of our team performs. Cripps and the likes of Curnow, SPS (among other youth) will ideally be leading this team in a few years, with no Murphy, Kreuzer or Simmo around. Let's see if they can show some signs that they can step up.

For Bolton, well it's these sort of games that you should relish as a senior coach. No-one gives you a hope in hell, and if the team can put up an ultra competitive performance, or maybe sneak a win, you get the ultimate vindication in your abilities.

There's plenty of fluff to what I'm saying here, but it stands to reason that all these challenges provide new opportunities.

Look at the Positives
Midfield structure: Charlie Curnow (Yes he will play in the guts) Ed Curnow Cripps Kerridge. Our contested ball and tackle count will go through the roof

Forward- Harry and Levi will get opportunities.

Back- Rowe doesn't leak goals. As long as he doesn't get done for pace.

West Coast will know they have been in a game. West Coast by 28 points

There’s a piece of play from the north game where a boundary throw in stoppage saw a good contest and one north player run through and get the releasing hand ball while his direct carlton opponent stood there doing absolutely nothing and still on the wrong side of the stoppage. Wasn’t playing goal side in the defensive half either. That was Cuningham. Think his defensive pressure has been made an example of perhaps. Daisy may not lay many tackles but he was top 2 for pressure acts last week. Cuningham was bottom 3 and only above Jones and Plowman. Some of the boys who played far less game time were far more active defensively.

We need to bring in Chris Mayne then, pressure act King.

I think what shits me more is their is no VFL this week. So way to develop our kids.

cunners is slow an doesn't get the pill. lamb is that aswell, but he can kick a goal which makes him a million dollar player in our team..
Cunners is slow?
Maybe he hasn't displayed it as of late but speed is actually one of his attributes.

Besides when played ia track last year he kicked multiple goals on more than one occasion.

Nah all good if you don't rate him as highly as others. I won't try and eat you alive for having an opinion.

I just think he likes to take the game on when he has possession and at least tries to be creative. Disposal isn't too bad.

One other thing about him, last year when we were incapable of kicking a set shot goal, that man set things straight and showed em how it's done. Only his third year, plenty of time to pick up AFL tempo footy, just hasn't had much support around him yet.
I think he is being played out of position.

Was far better in the forward line /wing last year

I just don’t see what O’Shea brings to the team? His name just stands out like dogs balls to me, I’m pretty shocked he has managed to stay in the team. I’m happy that McKay is in the team to get a go and I agree with Kerridge being included.

Hopefully we can somehow muster a backs to the wall victory, hard to see how though.

With most of my mates Weagles fans I might need get off the grid for 4-5 days.

Most of my thoughts have been reflected by some in here.
McKay in, is the only positive thing I can think about. As well as Rowey getting a gig after his knee. The scenes if we pull a result with this 22.
Also, you are talking out of your ass if you think Cuners is slow. And to those who think he doesn't use the ball well, enjoy the turnovers off half back. He should be in the ******* 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kade Simpson didn't get a touch in his first three games. Thankfully they keep persisting with him.

He played an average of 15% game time over those three games. The three games thing gets raised a lot, but I reckon it is a little unfair considering the game time he got (he basically got 0 disposals in a bit less than half a game).

Things were much different back then for new players, the bench was not used like it is today.

He did get three tackles. :)

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kade_Simpson.html

Stick McKay in the goal square and provide a target. Do not want to see him outisde 50 and onto the wing.

Cas and Philips to share ruck duties. Mostly 50/50

LOb off half back providing the drive

Cripps, Ed, Kerridge in the guts with SPS and Dow outside. Play the two on ball 80-90%. We need the speed out of clearance

This is the sort of game for Bolton that will test him as a coach and what he can do and tactics with an injury hit squad

This would go a long towards explaining Cunners omission. His would have been a very unpleasant review this week.

Our ins for this week give a very strong indicator to the type of game we will be playing & I can understand why this has been done.

Rowe comes in for Weiters & brings with him effort & leadership. He gives us plenty of heart in the mouth moments, but we know he will play the percentages. No attempts at mark of the year, no running off his opponent & lots of defensive spoils. I think having him there will be a massive positive for Jones.

Kerridge comes in for Kennedy & he is another one that will bring plenty of effort to the table. He also gives us heart in the mouth moments, but he also will at least halve most of the contests he gets to. The extra big body in the midfield & gut running don't go astray either.

Phillips in for Kreuzer & based on his VFL game last weekend it's good to see him get a run at AFL level, albeit because Kreuzer is struggling with injury. Although some have suggested Nic Nat will destroy Phillips, i believe Phillips will actually be quite competitive at ruck contests. He will jump at Nic Nat & win his share of taps. Nic Nat will have him covered at ground level, but where Phillips will be important is that he can get back in defence & take contested marks & do the same inside our F50.

Lamb gets another look after a very good VFL game last weekend. His omission may well have been the wake up call he needed to let him know that last year's game on Sicily is ancient history & he can't continue to dine out on that game.

Good to see Big H get a call up. One just hopes that he & Levi stay out of each other's way therefore making the WC defenders a bit less certain as to where our forward entries will be directed.

Our midfield looks somewhat threadbare experience-wise, but certainly not in talent. Cripps, Kerridge & Curnow will have to do most of the heavy lifting & try & get the ball into the hands of SPS, Fisher, Dow & O'Brien. I am also expecting to see JSOS & Wright having their turn in the midfield as well.

What I'm looking for this week, which I have mentioned in relation to some of our ins & which I called out during our game last week, is effort. I think the team selected for this game is very blue collar & I think we will see a very different attack on the ball compared to what we witnessed last week.

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow with Weiters going out ‘injured’? Could it be a way to release some pressure on the kid without dropping him? Give him a rest from footy for a weekend. Just a theory....

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow with Weiters going out ‘injured’? Could it be a way to release some pressure on the kid without dropping him? Give him a rest from footy for a weekend. Just a theory....
I thought that was weird
Out of form you get dropped
After first year being no.1 all that bullshit goes out the window
You either earn your spot or you don’t
Pretty simple I would have thought

I'm no coach but if there was a spin to be had with Cuners out vs Lamb in this would be my take.

* Jed, we are undermanned and as a senior player show something and make the club think about another contract.

* Cuners, We are undermanned and FFS Lamb took your spot, time to step up and demand you spot back. By the way your KPI is 10 tackles at VFL level this week. By the way it's Friday night football next week against the Dog's. Make sure your there.

Cuningham is beaten on most statistics by all of Mullett/SPS/Fisher and even Dow. Interestingly - Cuningham also has the lowest meters gained amongst all these similar players. The simple truth is that Cuningham has been underperforming a bunch of underperformers....

there is one inclusion that Ciningham does manage to beat on stats for this year though....( just)

View attachment 485464

maybe this puts things in a bit of perspective as far as Cuninghams performances this year...

The thing that has stood out for me has been his clean ball use. That is highlighted by his 82% efficiency.
Whilst he hasn’t set the world alight I think he deserve a longer crack. He’s a legitimate part of our future, mullet is not.
Playing Cunners over Mullet now won’t cost us games now, as there aren’t many we are a live hope in at the moment with this injury list.
But playing him over Mullet now might help change the results of games in 12-24 months time.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned or not but you can get $16 on Sportsbet for Josh Kennedy to outscore us for those like myself who are thinking the worst about Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back