Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Williams, McGovern
Out: Silvagni (inj.), Casboult

B: Plowman-----------------Jones------------------Parks

H: Docherty---------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Newnes------------------Cripps-----------------Cottrell

H: Murphy----------------McGovern---------------Dow

F: Betts--------------------McKay------------------Fogarty

Foll: Pittonet, Williams, Walsh

Bench: SPS, E.Curnow, Setterfield, Gibbons

Selection will be interesting.
JSOS injured, there would be possibly a question mark over Saad, Plow & Eddie although all 3 played the game out.

Dow & Setterfield may struggle to keep their spots in the line up.

We have pretty good recent form against this mob. 16 point loss in 2019. “That” loss last year. 21 pt loss in 2018.

Their MCG form is 50/50 - 4 games in the last 3 years for 2 wins & 2 losses.

they’ll be going in to it without 2 of their better players - Butters and Duursma. Rozee also played out the game hurt - unsure what it was.

this game will tell us we’re really at. 2 disappointing losses to start the year and we’ve since bounced back against two weaker sides. Were the first two games just a slow start to the year? Or are we simply a middle-of-the-table side? This game will tell us.

on our home turf. Against a side with some key players missing. I’m expecting a win. Blues by 11.

Go baggers!
and us?

Sorry windows but you can't be "on-ball or nothing" and be the 5th midfielder. If he is incapable of playing anywhere other than the middle then he needs to break into the top 3 next to Cripps and Walsh - which he is just so far off it's not funny.

We're all Carlton fans but the desperate defending and protection of Dow is getting just that, desperate.

Let's be real for a minute, it's very, very rare for a midfielder with so many deficiencies at AFL level turn it around after 4+ years in the system. It's not like he's close to breaking out, it's not like he's having 1 great game and 3 bad ones, he's a long, long way off to being a full-time AFL standard midfielder.. After each week we like to be optimistic so we're forced to search pretty hard for positives.

He struggles with his tank, his kicking is sub-VFL standard and he's low on confidence. His hands and vision seem to be AFL-standard but it's worthless if you can't really find the ball, either. Unfortunately the inside mid role is also taken.

Does this mean he's some sort of Carlton villain? No. Does it mean he's a failure? No. Does it mean Carlton have failed him? No. Does it mean we, as fans want him to fail? Absolutely not.

To me he's just a high pick who's struggling, and will continue to struggle at AFL level. It happens in basically every draft.
Good point. Very good point. Excellent point actually. He will be fine. He’s getting stronger. He looks fitter. His kicking is better. But he may have to wait for Ed to retire...

Good point. Very good point. Excellent point actually. He will be fine. He’s getting stronger. He looks fitter. His kicking is better. But he may have to wait for Ed to retire...
It looks like he is playing a role at the back of stoppages. I think he swaps between half forward and defensive mid. Agree that he’s getting better. But you’re right, he’ll need to wait for a big piece to move out before getting his real chance.

In: Williams, McGovern
Out: Silvagni (inj.), Casboult

B: Plowman-----------------Jones------------------Parks

H: Docherty---------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Newnes------------------Cripps-----------------Cottrell

H: Murphy----------------McGovern---------------Dow

F: Betts--------------------McKay------------------Fogarty

Foll: Pittonet, Williams, Walsh

Bench: SPS, E.Curnow, Setterfield, Gibbons
If McGovern turns up and Harry is on we could trouble ports backman to steal the win

Same outs we’ve gotten used to being without all year the key is the difference I suppose. They lose 2-4 of their starting line up from this week which is a big hit. Rockliff is a pretty handy back-up though, having said that.
Rockliff looks like he is one annoying soft tissue injury away from being finished

Ports going to be our test to see where we are at in 2021

I don’t see Port as a test as such. Their system hasn’t translated as well as they’d have hoped and they will struggle without the run of Butters and Duursma.

We should be up to our eyeballs in this if we are serious about 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just realised Cuningham is also available for selection after his 12 day concussion protocol right? Laid a huge number of tackles in his last VFL game.

Got plenty of injuries but also some strong options if we want to use them.

Looking for a bit of advice/info in ticketing

Thinking of taking the family along to this match or more likely the following week against the Lions.

I'm obviously a member, and have signed my wife up this year also. Both the kids (3&5) have the kids memberships but I don't think they are actually admittance to games memberships.

I've seen the AFLs info pages on ticketing just seeing what others experiences have been.

Do I need to wait to the general admission timing so I can book all 4 seats together? Or can I book all 4 in one of the earlier priorities for members?

Any info would be good, otherwise I'll just call the club tomorrow.

Thanks gang
Gotta wait

SPP - Suspension - 4 Weeks
Goldsack - Knee - 6 Weeks
Bonner - Hamstring - 4 Weeks
Pasini - Shoulder Reco - 12 weeks
Marshall - Ankle - ?
Butters - Ankle - 2-8 Weeks
Fantasia - Ankle - ?
Duursma - Knee - 6-8 Weeks
Clurey - Cork - OK
Aliir - Cork - OK