Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Status
Not open for further replies.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
INS: Mitch McGovern,Tom Williamson,Zac Williams

OUT: Jack Silvagni (Injured),Luke Parks (Injured),Paddy Dow (Omitted),Will Setterfield (Omitted)

EMG: David Cuningham, Will Setterfield, Paddy Dow, Matthew Owies

Backs:Sam DochertyLiam JonesSam Petrevski-Seton
Half-backs:Lachie PlowmanJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Matthew CottrellPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyMitch McGovernMarc Murphy
Forwards:Michael GibbonsHarry McKayLevi Casboult
Followers:Marc PittonetEd CurnowZac Williams
Interchange:Jack NewnesEddie BettsMatthew Kennedy
Tom Williamson
Emergencies:David CuninghamPaddy DowMatthew Owies
Will Setterfield

Let’s go Kennedy !
it’s game day, ☺️

Blue Viking

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not confident, I've been burned too often. I hope we'll win but have no expectation.

Last three games streak I remember was 2016, even last year we got destroyed by Adelaide after two wins.

This is so true! As a long suffering supporter, history says that just when you start to feel confident the team seems to throw in a shocker and destroys that confidence.

BlueLocke

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Hoping we can generate enough forward entries to put their defenders under pressure - watch a bit of Port and they’re a good team who play for each other, but most of their defenders will get exposed one-on-one.

Casboult and McKay are far too strong for Alir/Jonas/Clurey and McGovern should have plenty of space against the third defender. I’d try play Casboult as a decoy as much as possible and use McGovern and McKay as our main targets- Mitch is much better when he’s being used regularly rather than the third foil.

Our defence, while lead admirably by Doc, performs much better when caught out exposed.

I’m interested in how we play Kennedy, he’ll need to play inside matched against Wines to not get exposed - Port have a great blend of inside grunt and outside pace, but again, individually they’re not superstars.

Based on the tight history and even match-ups, this is a bit of a coaches games - hope Teague can unsettle their system because that’s all it’ll take for us to generate enough pressure to kick a winning score.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How so? We bring our A game, we're a very good chance.

Mcgovern needs to massively lift and kick 2-3 etc.

If not expect 10-20 point loss.

None of this half measures campaignerness thanks Blues.

Poor Cunningham, he'll die of old age before he gets a game.
Are you serious? You must be one of those punters

Don’t get me started on Gibbo. Butchers the footy all the time but he becomes the greatest kick ever when he’s in front of the big sticks. He’s a goer and I love his story but jeez he can be selfish. Goes for the spectacular way too often. And Jones is a great kick to a lead when he’s under no pressure but if it’s in open play he either needs to kick it wide and long or hand pass to literally anyone else. These are bad habits I see every week. Coaches have to be honest with these blokes.
The amount of Gibbons-haters on this board is extraordinary. If we had 22 blokes take the field each week with his effort and work-rate we'd win a lot more matches.

Yet when it comes to Dow - he's a gun, or Cunners - he's a gun, or McGovern - he's a gun. It's a joke. In a team that carries far too many passive players at least Gibbons & Fogarty hit the contest hard, put their head over the bloody ball when it's their turn, run both ways and can stick a ******* tackle.

End Rant!!!

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The amount of Gibbons-haters on this board is extraordinary. If we had 22 blokes take the field each week with his effort and work-rate we'd win a lot more matches.

Yet when it comes to Dow - he's a gun, or Cunners - he's a gun, or McGovern - he's a gun. It's a joke. In a team that carries far too many passive players at least Gibbons & Fogarty hit the contest hard, put their head over the bloody ball when it's their turn, run both ways and can stick a ******* tackle.

End Rant!!!

They were reasonable criticisms of Gibbo's game. Hardly makes the poster a hater.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

End Rant!!!
I misread that and now I’m imagining a team with 22 Michael Gibbons swarming all over the park, a little reminiscent of the imagery for Being John Malcovich.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Tbf they travelled up to the coast that same morning. I’m sure that would have had an impact on the outcome. We played well also so not trying to take that away but tonight’s game will show more clearly where we are at.
As would living in hubs and all the other stuff that came with last year.

Just saying, it’s not a delusional idea that if we play well we might be close or even win, which is what 1981 is suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back